tried 1.91, found the vehicles reversing become stupid....

Moderators: smartie, Thor, PepeAmpere, Moderators, Content Developer

bbpeas

Post by bbpeas »

velhicles often reversing run , Even if click move far away, they were still reversing run
bbpeas

Re: tried 1.91, found the vehicles reversing become stupid....

Post by bbpeas »

please forgive me bad english. I fallen in love with NOTA, and Thank to the authous give us the best game.

I tried 1.80,1.82, found The plane fly off and landed from the carrier or platform looks smoothly, but in 1.90r and 1.91, them looks unsmooth.
and arm's Missile Exhaust plume is below the missile
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

Hi bbpeas,
bbpeas wrote:vehicles often reversing run , Even if click move far away, they were still reversing run
Yes, we know about that. Since we started to use new version of engine, we had to choose from two options
  • use our custom reverse gadget and experience desynchronization of the game during multiplayer matches
  • try to experiment with engine reverse
We choose the second. Sadly engine reverse (no matter if using old pathfinding or the new one) is quite tricky and not reliable. I'm still experimenting with it, current solution using old pathplanner has issue you describe, new pathplanner do not have this issue as often (it works quite reliable on some distances with small amount of units to "repair" to move) but on the other hand new pathplanner combined with our AI systems does not work good.

So we try to make it better, no successful, yet.
bbpeas wrote:please forgive me bad english. I fallen in love with NOTA, and Thank to the authous give us the best game.

I tried 1.80,1.82, found The plane fly off and landed from the carrier or platform looks smoothly, but in 1.90r and 1.91, them looks unsmooth.
and arm's Missile Exhaust plume is below the missile
Yes, fly off/landing is completely reworked, there is used our custom system which allows us to keep the fuel simulation in game and it is also related to the new engine version change. It is not perfect but it is very hard to improve with current state of models and engine support to control movement.

What is Missile Exhaust? You mean orbital laser satellite rocket? (Old and known bug, but it may be easy to fix it)

-----

We are glad you like NOTA. :-) If you want to play some multiplayer matches with us, you can join our skype group. (ping me on account "machys.")
bbpeas

Post by bbpeas »

Wow,PepeAmpere, thanks for your reply, surprise to see you again, before chat in the lobby I don't konw you are author, now I'm sure you are not bot, you are advanced human, lol
damn China BAIDU translation,it give me a odd words. We can't use google if havn't VPN, last problem I mean the ARM's missile vehicle/ship rocket tail flame have wrong, it isn't aligned middle with rocket

ok, I download skype and join group now, language is my biggest problem, but I willing to multiplayer matches
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

PepeAmpere wrote: We choose the second. Sadly engine reverse (no matter if using old pathfinding or the new one) is quite tricky and not reliable. I'm still experimenting with it, current solution using old pathplanner has issue you describe, new pathplanner do not have this issue as often (it works quite reliable on some distances with small amount of units to "repair" to move) but on the other hand new pathplanner combined with our AI systems does not work good.
That gadget should never have existed. Using wait commands instead of stop commands? Yes, I love it when half my army stops fighting because that gadget issued wait commands to half of them.

It is not tricky or unreliable. Units will choose the fastest way to get to where they are going. If the fastest way is reversing, they will reverse.

You can save yourself a lot of trouble by just doing it in unitdefs post with a global block, e.g.:

Code: Select all

--Set reverse velocity automatically
	if uDef.maxvelocity then
		uDef.maxreversevelocity = uDef.maxvelocity * 0.6
	end
So you take maxvelocity, chop 40% off the top, and that number us your max reversing speed. I.E. When given move orders a short distance behind themselves, the units will reverse. This is what real tanks do. When given a move order that is farther away, they will turn around and go forward because that gets them there faster.

FWIW this is the functionality I added to BA as well which makes microing in a big fight significantly easier. I dunno if floris changed it though. You can look in ba:test for a pretty similar example to what you would see in nota.

Edit: Just checked, it's there: https://github.com/Balanced-Annihilatio ... st.lua#L92

You could even use a customparam for more granular controls on specific units.

Return to “NOTA”