New notAlobby announcement - Page 2

New notAlobby announcement

Moderators: smartie, Thor, PepeAmpere, Moderators, Content Developer

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: New notAlobby announcement

Post by Forboding Angel »

gajop wrote: I don't know how I could've phrased my questions in a nicer way. The concern is still legit: why aren't you openly providing Linux builds?
Your response was poorly written and aggressive. It assumed an end result instead of asking an actual question.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Jools wrote: Other people have it too, I have it for instance on my computer. So if I send this file to somebody, you will punish pepe and danil? Doesn't sound as if you have thought this through.
Don't worry, we'll use common sense and track you down instead
gajop

Post by gajop »

Forboding Angel wrote:
gajop wrote: I don't know how I could've phrased my questions in a nicer way. The concern is still legit: why aren't you openly providing Linux builds?
Your response was poorly written and aggressive. It assumed an end result instead of asking an actual question.
Well I'm sorry if that was the way it was received, as it was not my intention. It was one of the possible reasons for it and even if they were aware of it I thought it was reasonable to alert them on it to avoid any further issues.
When I read it, it felt like they would be sending Linux versions privately maybe as the instructions would be distro specific, but I thought that could be done with a web page just as well.
Anyway, the new answer looks good to me, but I don't see why you couldn't have said that in the first place
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

Jools wrote:Other people have it too, I have it for instance on my computer. So if I send this file to somebody, you will punish pepe and danil? Doesn't sound as if you have thought this through.

Not saying I will do this, but I am saying it's out there already on the internet. There is no way of removing it anymore.
While removing it from the internet can be pretty hard, removing people who distribute it from spring can be very easy.

Do us favour and (in order of priority):
1) Refrain from distributing.
2) Encourage other people to refrain from distributing.
3) Stop discussing irrelevant hypothetical situations that are detrimental to the community.
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

hokomoko wrote: Do us favour and (in order of priority):
1) Refrain from distributing.
2) Encourage other people to refrain from distributing.
3) Stop discussing irrelevant hypothetical situations that are detrimental to the community.
I think right now there is noone here who disagree with this and I hope any hypothetical situations probabilities were lowered by our instant actions (removing old image, rewriting instrcutions for linux players to be more clear, etc.). I also hope we can move further in discussion.

So again, we are honest. Based on our technical solution, which was described above (unpack > read params > pack > update descriptors db), there is no functionality in lobby which would need anything from unitsync.dll. If you try to use lobby, there is not place where packed module content (game settings, map settings) is accessed in real time, unknown packed module is simply unknown and lobby ignores it. Only way how we launch games (not matter if single or multiplyer) is spawning valid startscript based on descriptors and some other preselections (i was talking about above). Anyone here can try it (remove unitsync.dll, etc.). I hope this evidence is fair enough, prove what we say, but we are still open to communicate any unclear things to engine devs if question arrises.

Just for completness

Only way of real time reading module property is in unpacked state and we offer that for developer mode of the lobby (together with our other dev tools like automatic autotest launcher/evaluator, advanced downloaded, etc.), which is hidden for ordinary users.

Using unpacked version of game in custom folder combined with git updates can be currently the only way how other devs in spring community can utilize current notalobby for their own needs.
Autowar

Post by Autowar »

Download speed from your website link was ~4 MB/s
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

PepeAmpere wrote:Using unpacked version of game in custom folder combined with git updates can be currently the only way how other devs in spring community can utilize current notalobby for their own needs.
I'd be interested in investigating this further. Where is a good place to look at getting an idea of how it works?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Fyi, viewtopic.php?f=64&t=30120#p573950

Also, I moved this thread into the NOTA forum.
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

Autowar wrote:Download speed from your website link was ~4 MB/s
Thx for info.
Forboding Angel wrote:Where is a good place to look at getting an idea of how it works?
Access to autotest launcher: https://trello.com/c/vpVBTOUd/
Setting custom path for a dev version of a game: https://trello.com/c/2jWlUATK/

both in notAlobby v0.8.2+
Silentwings wrote:Fyi, viewtopic.php?f=64&t=30120#p573950

Also, I moved this thread into the NOTA forum.
Thank you.
danil_kalina

Post by danil_kalina »

8611z wrote:On start I only got a black window. (win vista)
Then I booted to win 7, and also got a black window. Does it maybe need flash or something?
Only other idea would be that I had recently swapped GFX-cards from ATI to Nvidia and maybe something with drivers...(but all other software including spring worked)
AF wrote:Your package is missing some dll libs
notAlobby 0.8.3 released:

Hope DLLs lack is fixed.

To properly play intro movie for Windows you don't need anything special. Windows Media Video (WMV codec). It is installed on all Windows systems by default.

There are 2 options to install game for Windows:
  • 1. Run Setup ( It will install everything to "My Games" folder, where actually Spring Data is )
    2. Run Setup.Portable ( Unpack content into folder where you want )
For now Setup size for Windows is 240 MB
gajop wrote:So as a Linux user, I'd like to test the lobby again. How would this work?
Linux Setup is almost ready

The last but not the least, OSX Setup

Thank you for response
Sgt Doom

Post by Sgt Doom »

I can't seem to see or select any other maps than the two included by default in the latest portable package install of NOTA from the main site, when setting up an AI skirmish game. I've placed them in the \NOTA\SpringData\maps folder where the default two are. Is there something else I need to do? I noticed there's map pack download options in one of the menus, but i've already got a rather large archive of maps saved over a period of time that i'd prefer to use.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

AF wrote:Do you have a check that crashes the lobby with an error message alluding to expletives if you're name is Peet?
BrainDamage made me a springlobby build with a forkbomb in it once :regret:
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

Sgt Doom wrote:I can't seem to see or select any other maps than the two included by default in the latest portable package install of NOTA from the main site, when setting up an AI skirmish game. I've placed them in the \NOTA\SpringData\maps folder where the default two are. Is there something else I need to do? I noticed there's map pack download options in one of the menus, but i've already got a rather large archive of maps saved over a period of time that i'd prefer to use.
Sorry for late answer, I missed this question at the end of the thread.

Return to “NOTA”