Spacebugs tweakable?

Spacebugs tweakable?

Moderators: smartie, Thor, PepeAmpere, Moderators, Content Developer

smokingwreckage

Spacebugs tweakable?

Post by smokingwreckage »

I have been playing the hell out of Spacebugs as co-op with mates. Is there any way to hack the difficulty? We play on a variety of maps, but on core-prime style all-metal maps it would be nice to have higher bug castes spawn earlier. Also, there used to be an option to spawn extra tankers with the Queen. Is that still hidden in there somewhere?
Thor
NOTA Developer

Re: Spacebugs tweakable?

Post by Thor »

There are a few modoptions, queentime, maxburrows, and maxbugs. We are planning to make the queen harder and more interesting to fight, perhaps by making her teleport and maybe turn invisible when it needs to heal.

If you want to make your own mod mutator and mess around with stuff like how many of each bug spawns per wave, that's pretty easy to do, look in LuaRules\configs\spacebug_defs.lua
smokingwreckage

Post by smokingwreckage »

Awesome, thanks, although I won't be messing about with LUA at the moment - no time.

I was replaying a skirmish map in Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour (nice name, rolls right off the tongue) and thinking the replayability was thanks to the random opposition. Specifically, the ZH expansion adds several factions that are just the old factions with one or two really major changes - like turrets that shoot EMP with a big blast radius instead of regular missiles, or infantry that shoot short-range persistent beams (toxins, in-game) instead of bullets. So you start up a FFA skirmish map and never know what combination of weirdness the AI will throw at you. While it does mean you get "unfairly" owned sometimes or a cakewalk others, it also means maps are highly unpredictable, even when you know them well.

It got me thinking that to expand Bugs gameplay it would be nice to be able to have the AI choose from two or three "factions" each of which had a gameplay-changing ability. A gimmick unit or a novel mutation of an old unit, for example. A simple example would be mini-tankers, smaller scaled, same unit, weaker, less destructive, but shows up much earlier. To steal an example from Zero Hour, a whole faction could be just that the bugs get a suicide blast.
Thor
NOTA Developer

Post by Thor »

The idea of random mutations is kind of interesting. Right now we're focusing on improving the overall gameplay by changing a lot of the basics of when burrows spawn, how many bugs there are, and by adding new bug types also. Hopefully the changes we're making will make it more interesting to play and allow for different strategies.

Return to “NOTA”