NOTA missions

Moderators: smartie, Thor, PepeAmpere, Moderators, Content Developer

Thor
NOTA Developer

NOTA missions

Post by Thor »

Download NOTA missionpack:http://www.springfiles.com/show_file.php?id=2437

NOTA missionpack B1- Requires NOTA 1.61

This missionpack includes 12 missions for single or cooperative play of up to 4 players.

To play singleplayer, start spring.exe, and select commanders gametype and the appropriate map.

To play Co-op, start a game in the lobby and choose the map. All players should be on the same ally team. Add a bot (choose mission ai) for the enemy team.

The missions are for the following maps:

River_Dale_Remake-v01
High_And_Low_Redux
FunTA-Battle_for_Aqua_Prime-v03
Placid_Stream-v03
AfterShock_V31
Parched_mesa-v04
AavikkoV2
Relics-V2
Canyon_Redux-v01
Deserted_Gully-v05
Daruga-v2
BlackStar

They can be played in any order. Some are much harder than others. Adding more players will usually make it a bit easier.

If you wish to make your own missions, you can download the in-game editor here: http://www.springfiles.com/show_file.php?id=2438

The worldbuilder, the enemy ai, and most of the missions were all made by cake/smartie. Ask him if you have questions about it.

saving a mission in the editor saves two lua script files to the spring directory. They will be named after the map name and end in _World_Builder or _Mission_Script

The World_Builder one goes into LuaRules/Gadgets in the worldbuilder.sd7 mod and the Mission_Script one goes into LuaRules/Gadgets in the missionpack mod. There's one more thing you need for a mission to work which is a def file that goes in LuaRules/Configs of the missionpack mod. It is used for buildqueues for the AI. You can copy a def file from one of the other missions.

If you're going to do any editing, then make a copy of the missionpack first and change the name in modinfo. That way it won't be desynced with the other players who have the normal missionpack.
Argh

Re: NOTA missions

Post by Argh »

Sweet, glad to see that World Builder got used for something :-) I will definitely check out the mission builder.

Hmm, tried the AfterShock mission, and it crashes Spring, at least over here. I will investigate.

There are a lot of game-side bugs that do come up in the Infolog.

The sound errors mean that the sound needs to be remastered, preferably in good ol' Sound Recorder, to be 22 or 44khz, 16-bit mono. There are some Widget problems, which probably just need configs corrected.

Did some more testing. It crashes every time I view the carrier group. I moved the camera far away- the mission proceeded normally. Looks like there is a fundamental issue with the game here.

Infolog is attached. I will also ask the devs to take a look at the crash log.
Attachments
infolog.txt
(12.67 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
smartie
NOTA Developer

Post by smartie »

are you using the current version of spring?
Argh

Post by Argh »

I was using a Buildbot version. According to H&B, looks like a driver-related crash.

Was able to run the Missions after turning all the graphics options off (no reflect, shadows, LuaShaders, PBO, dunno which did it, I'll have to dig deeper). I have a bazillion questions about How It Works (the Mission Editor) if you're willing to talk about that, it looks really useful.

Anyhow, great game, I really enjoyed the mission I tried, it was probably the most fun I've had with somebody else's game here.
smartie
NOTA Developer

Post by smartie »

Sure ask away.

The basics of it is everything uses guard commands. You put in a timer unit and have it guard some guys and when the timer goes off those guys will spawn in. If you have some units with nothing guarding them then they spawn in at the start. A player 1 unit (the big blue 1) guarding some guys sets those units as Player 1's. If nothing is guarding that thing, then player 1's guys spawn in at the start. If a timer is guarding the Player1 unit (the blue 1), then when the timer goes off those units guarded by the player1 unit will spawn in as player1's units.

Battlegroups work the same way, but with the units in the battlegroup guarding the battlegroup object. Battlegroups are how you give the AI control of a group of guys. Battlegroups with nothing guarding them are spawned in at the start. If the battlegroup object is guarded by a timer or then statement, then it spawns in when that goes off.

If/Then triggers are a bit tricky. You can look at the missions to see how most of them are done. Basically, the if part guards the things you want to check and then the ThenUnit (that sounds way more confusing then it is). If you wanted something to happen when a certain unit died, say a mobile annihilator, you'd use the ifdead unit, have it guard the mobile annihilator, and then guard a ThenUnit. The ThenUnit would guard the things you want to go off just like a timer does. You can nest things inside each other, such as timers that are triggered to start counting down when the if/then trigger goes off. To do that the ThenUnit would guard the timer, which is guarding the blue Player1 unit from before.

All timers have to be marked with a number. You do that like you're marking a location on the map with the ~ key, then type in the number of seconds.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

this needs more promotion

about 1/100 spring players seem to know this exists, when by law they should be forced to
Argh

Post by Argh »

@Smartie: Great! That sounds really easy! I'll take a look at the mission structures and ask more questions when I have more of a clue.

Return to “NOTA”