I created #TheCursed channel.

Azaremoth's epic game about bones, undead, demons and magic set in a futuristic environment.

Moderator: Content Developer

frju365

Post by frju365 »

Hello,
Announcement:
Due to the importance of the game and because it's an excellent game, I've asked [BoS]Nixtux to create a channel for theCursed. He did that. He created #TheCursed. I'm for the moment the founder of this channel, but I will clearly give this status to azaremoth, when he will be online.

Thanks for your excellent game.

frju365
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Re: I created #TheCursed channel.

Post by azaremoth »

Happy that you like the game! Thanks for the channel.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Perhaps you should join us on discord with a The Cursed server, azaremoth?

BA Channel: https://discord.gg/J37dJmy
Evo Channel: https://discord.gg/WUbAs2f

Both are pretty active, although the evo one is the most active by far. But discord is a great way to build a community easily. It has the advantage of acting like a complete communications tool as well.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

I did not know about that app. Setting up a channels was not too hard. ;-) Distribution is only working by instant invites?

https://discord.gg/6FGe3NJ
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Yeah invites are the only way. Typically you create an invite and set it to never expire and from then on you use that link for it.

Discord is awesome :-)

The link you gave has already expired.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Nice hijack, forb :D
Forboding Angel wrote:Discord is awesome :-)
0/10 proprietary software
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

ThinkSome wrote:
0/10 proprietary software
So? It is far better than anything remotely close that is open source and you don't need your own server.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

azaremoth wrote:I did not know about that app. Setting up a channels was not too hard. ;-) Distribution is only working by instant invites?

https://discord.gg/YstHg
Can you please give us a non-expiring invite?
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Screenshot_20161222-154457.png
(119.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet
frju365

Post by frju365 »

Hello,
It was a pleasure to create #TheCursed channel. (sorry I'm a late to answer)
One point I want to discuss: Discord App seems to be from my point of view a proprietary software. Or can you give me the Complete Source Code ? It has a company, employees, a partnership with other companies... Only Airhorn Bot has been open-sourced, not all the API, apparently. I'm not really sure that using it for open-sourced Software is a good idea. Behind Discord, there is a company, which earns money. If the company don't sell a product, it's because you are the product (Free Software Foundation). Moreover the web server seems to be in the USA... doubtful for private life protection.
So I need perhaps explanations about that, or the idea is not perhaps the best for free software.

Thanks,
frju365
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Players already use discord, so by having your community hub there, you are already using what most players are using as well and joining your server doesn't make things any more difficult for them because you can be joined to an infinite number of servers at the same time.

You should explore Discord before dismissing it because "It's not open source".

I’m Not The Product, But I Play One On The Internet
frju365

Post by frju365 »

Hello,
In fact you criticized me... whereas I needed an explanation about Discord which I don't use this at all.
So I need perhaps explanations about that,
Moreover I have not criticized Discord, but the fact we use it in the case of Open-sourced Software is perhaps not relevant. But, in fact, I'm new in Spring RTS, I'm here just because I've created a channel ---->>> that is to say : do what you want ! :)
Thanks for your answer,
frju365

PS: In your last post, you just criticize and don't give more or enough informations about DiscordApp. Your post is not relevant from my point of view, sorry.
So? It is far better than anything remotely close that is open source and you don't need your own server.
That's not an argument.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

frju365 wrote: That's not an argument.
An argument isn't really needed because the app speaks for itself. What I was irritated about was the fact that you essentially say "Oh well we're open source so everything we touch needs to be open source too". That attitude is pointless and in some ways, destructive.

Edit: I didn't realize that english isn't your first language and I used a lot of slang/sarcasm in my post which probably would be mostly lost on anyone without english as their first language.
frju365

Post by frju365 »

ok. I understand your point of view. But Richard Stallman and the FSF are strict about this, even if it's pointless. By using Proprietary Software, we don't improve the Free Software Philosophy. Perhaps I'm wrong... Sorry for that. :) Don't be irritated. :D
However thanks for your answer,
frju365

PS: indeed, I'm French. :)
code_man

Post by code_man »

I dont approve of forbs move, but i must say he has a point.
While it would be nice if we could use springlobby for communication its must be said it is in many ways inferior to discord and slack.
Lack of voice chat and image/file shareing is rather a downside in many ways.
Maybe in the future we could have an entire new system based either on tox or matrix, but i guess there is no point in bringing that up now.
Also its true that we have to reach out to other platforms and partially use them, it would be great if we could use springlobby for the bulk of the main chat.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

What move? This guy typed /j #thecursed in the lobby and made a thread about it. I suggested joining the ever increasing number of players that are using discord for spring stuff as well, I.E. In addition to.

For that matter, it's easier for me to get my players in the discord channel to check out other games if they have discord servers. For example, the quite a few of them that have checked out Metal Factions and BA as a result. It's not uncommon for people in the evo server to say "Anyone want a game of X or Y?"

And the main huge benefit is that it gets the gamedevs in one easy to use platform where players can directly interact with as and we can directly interact with each other.

I wasn't saying not to use the lobby channel. That's fine. But I was pointing out that he should join us on Discord as well with his own server.

As far as OP making a big deal about typing /j #thecursed in the lobby and then getting mad about me mentioning discord... What is he even on about?

Return to “The Cursed”