Heroes - what to do with them?!

Heroes - what to do with them?!

Azaremoth's epic game about bones, undead, demons and magic set in a futuristic environment.

Moderator: Content Developer

Post Reply
User avatar
azaremoth
Cursed Developer
Posts: 530
Joined: 17 Feb 2005, 22:05

Heroes - what to do with them?!

Post by azaremoth » 01 Nov 2011, 20:29

The next things I have planned for the Cursed are hero units - I have concepts and finished models for one cursed and one imperial hero.

Image

Imperial Sarge:
- tank, medium range, medium damage
- jumpjets
- changeable weapon: dual chain gun and dual plasma guns

Cursed Shade:
- medium hp, very strong melee attack
- can cloak
- can create decoy units

What is missing is a good concept for the integration into the gameplay. Obligatory is a leveling system to unlock abilities/weapons/better stats/... imho.

What do you think - how should the units be integrated into the gameplay?

The "easiest" way: in addition to your starting units you get a hero unit that can be rebuild with a special buiding (stats are saved). Heros are supporting your other units and become deadly strong throughout the game. I think it was done similarly in WC3.
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22271
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Heroes - what to do with them?!

Post by smoth » 01 Nov 2011, 23:23

What are you looking for as far as leveling and abilities..? I may be writing something like that in the near future(AKA YEARS FROM NOW LOL)
0 x

User avatar
knorke
Posts: 7971
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 01:02

Re: Heroes - what to do with them?!

Post by knorke » 01 Nov 2011, 23:58

nice models, very retro with the cig.
imo the trick with hero units in RTS is to find a good mix of making the hero have hundreds of spells and making it "just like a normal unit but stronger."
Warcraft 3 heros are quite complex (different kinds, many levels etc) but I think that would not fit The Cursed. Maybe more like Tanya from Red Alert or the heros in C&C Generals (USA Commando Burton, GLA Sniper, China Black Lotus Hacker, google for details)

random ideas that work for both heros:
-put sattle charges on buildings or set them on fire (like c&c)
-climb over cliffs
-can swim
-support aura that makes near units fire faster/fight stronger or heals them
-can use force field/magic to become invulnerable for a short time. (maybe becomes immobile when doing that)
-is build via some mechanic that allows him to be deployed anywhere on the map (drop pod, teleport, digging out of ground,...)
-can see cloak/burrowed enemies
-immobilize enemy vehicles/big units by destroying wheels/legs
-teleport units to his location
-shockwave thing that destroys enemy around him (like in 2D shooters where you have bombs that clear the screen from enemies)
0 x

User avatar
azaremoth
Cursed Developer
Posts: 530
Joined: 17 Feb 2005, 22:05

Re: Heroes - what to do with them?!

Post by azaremoth » 02 Nov 2011, 20:57

knorke wrote:Maybe more like Tanya from Red Alert or the heros in C&C Generals
smoth wrote:What are you looking for as far as leveling and abilities..? I may be writing something like that in the near future(AKA YEARS FROM NOW LOL)
I think I'll start with linear leveling. Something like: Heroes gets XP (gained by himself and by allied units within a certain range around the hero) => hero auto-morphs into next level hero (with better stats and other abilities). When the hero dieds you'll have to rebuild it (the gained level will not be lost but the costs increase with every level).

I am glad to hear that you are planning to work "on that field". :-)
knorke wrote:random ideas that work for both heros:
-put sattle charges on buildings or set them on fire (like c&c)
-climb over cliffs
-can swim
-support aura that makes near units fire faster/fight stronger or heals them
-can use force field/magic to become invulnerable for a short time. (maybe becomes immobile when doing that)
-is build via some mechanic that allows him to be deployed anywhere on the map (drop pod, teleport, digging out of ground,...)
-can see cloak/burrowed enemies
-immobilize enemy vehicles/big units by destroying wheels/legs
-teleport units to his location
-shockwave thing that destroys enemy around him (like in 2D shooters where you have bombs that clear the screen from enemies)
Wow - that is an excellent list of ideas - thank you! :-) Most of them are also easily applicable (with the current set of Lua used in the cursed).
0 x

User avatar
KaiserJ
Community Representative
Posts: 3113
Joined: 08 Sep 2008, 22:59

Re: Heroes - what to do with them?!

Post by KaiserJ » 02 Nov 2011, 21:57

i am also working in that field (levels, items) on a project; that is to say i'm designing things and a brave coder plans to implement them

as with smoths' work, yours will likely be picked over and analysed as well, should you come up with something good 8) (and frankly i'm convinced you will because everything else in cursed is money)

just to add a few to knorkes ideas which are all cool;

- a teleport spell that allows you to move your hero to an advantageous position near an allied unit every few minutes (for larger maps or huge battles to possible offset a relatively slow movement speed)
- "summoning" abilities to build a costless tower or mobile unit on a countdown near the hero
- temporary barricades (i.e. anivia from LoL)
- capture (brainwash? sapping a tower? it's been in a lot of RTS games, i enjoyed using spies in C&C generals to steal labs and plants)

something of note... in my very very early wip game plan (action RPG) abilities will all be from picked-up items, allowing players to customize and combine different abilities on their load-out to make the most out of their characters' strengths or the NPC enemies weaknesses... you could just have a shared set of abilities for cursed and let the players pick a new one or an upgrade every few minutes... would certainly open the idea of heroes up strategically, and as long as you can avoid noob traps, sharing abilities for heroes across the two armies should make balancing comparatively easy and let players pick abilities that apply to the map (nobody would pick the swimming guy on DsD etc)
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22271
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Heroes - what to do with them?!

Post by smoth » 02 Nov 2011, 22:21

azaremoth wrote:I think I'll start with linear leveling. Something like: Heroes gets XP (gained by himself and by allied units within a certain range around the hero) => hero auto-morphs into next level hero (with better stats and other abilities). When the hero dieds you'll have to rebuild it (the gained level will not be lost but the costs increase with every level).
I have on my harddrive/smoth.net a copy of my halloween project, it does the following:

you gain xp..

every so much xp counts as a level

when you die, you lose xp..

only to a certain level though, like say you are level 6, you die, you lose xp, you can keep losing xp until you reach level 2 at which point you are capped and will not drop further. Terribly untested and what not. :P
0 x

User avatar
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer
Posts: 7001
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 13:08

Re: Heroes - what to do with them?!

Post by zwzsg » 03 Nov 2011, 19:33

I'd like direct controllable heroes, viewed from above, move with keyboard, aim with with mouse. Like I did for KP, except KP settings isn't as well suited for heroes as The Cursed.
0 x

User avatar
azaremoth
Cursed Developer
Posts: 530
Joined: 17 Feb 2005, 22:05

Re: Heroes - what to do with them?!

Post by azaremoth » 03 Nov 2011, 23:09

smoth wrote: I have on my harddrive/smoth.net a copy of my halloween project, it does the following:

you gain xp..

every so much xp counts as a level

when you die, you lose xp..

only to a certain level though, like say you are level 6, you die, you lose xp, you can keep losing xp until you reach level 2 at which point you are capped and will not drop further. Terribly untested and what not. :P
Hi Smoth,

I couldn't find a hint to your halloween project on smoth.net. Also the forum is only displayed in a tiny frame on the center of the webpage. It is hard to read the forums that way. Where can I find the experience lua stuff?

Thx,
aZaremoth
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22271
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Heroes - what to do with them?!

Post by smoth » 03 Nov 2011, 23:16

that sounds odd, can you take me a screenshot of the forum as it displays for you?

The halloween project is not public due to mainly the code being a trainwreck of hack coding back when I was getting more aquainted with lua.

I need to redo the experience code before I share it that and add skills to the damn thing.

Image

is where I was at. Still need to add the skills display etc. Research menu code has been a great help in figuring this part out.
0 x

User avatar
azaremoth
Cursed Developer
Posts: 530
Joined: 17 Feb 2005, 22:05

Re: Heroes - what to do with them?!

Post by azaremoth » 05 Nov 2011, 16:17

KaiserJ wrote:something of note... in my very very early wip game plan (action RPG) abilities will all be from picked-up items, allowing players to customize and combine different abilities on their load-out to make the most out of their characters' strengths or the NPC enemies weaknesses... you could just have a shared set of abilities for cursed and let the players pick a new one or an upgrade every few minutes... would certainly open the idea of heroes up strategically, and as long as you can avoid noob traps, sharing abilities for heroes across the two armies should make balancing comparatively easy and let players pick abilities that apply to the map (nobody would pick the swimming guy on DsD etc)
That sounds very interesting (and hard to realise in Spring) - I am looking forward to see where you are going with that idea. A more complex hero system would be step two for me right now. I'll reach for the low hanging fruits in the first step.
azaremoth wrote:Hi Smoth,

I couldn't find a hint to your halloween project on smoth.net. Also the forum is only displayed in a tiny frame on the center of the webpage. It is hard to read the forums that way. Where can I find the experience lua stuff?

Thx,
aZaremoth
That should actually be a pm. Anyway - the issue is solved: I had an old link. :roll:
0 x

User avatar
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer
Posts: 7001
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 13:08

Re: Heroes - what to do with them?!

Post by zwzsg » 17 Jan 2012, 03:55

Here is a tiny mutator showing how I'd like heroes to be like:
CursedHeroes_1.16.sd7

Instruction:
- Get cursed_116.sdz
- Get CursedHeroes_1.16.sd7
- Play Cursed Heroes 1.16h (against hard zombie AI for exemple)
- /cheat
- /give tc_sarge
- /luarules hero
- You now control a single unit with buffed hp.
- Move with arrows or wasd, aim with mouse, fire primary with LMB and secondary with RMB
- Press CTRL D to suicide
- You can also exit hero mode by typing again /luarules hero
- Other cool units to try: tc_belial, tc_mancubus, euf_tank, tc_bonebeast, ...


Note: The gadget used in this mutator is actually mod-agnostic.
0 x

User avatar
azaremoth
Cursed Developer
Posts: 530
Joined: 17 Feb 2005, 22:05

Re: Heroes - what to do with them?!

Post by azaremoth » 18 Jan 2012, 19:24

Hehe - that is fun. :lol: You should try the euf_destroyer for some starship rumble. It should be included as a game-mode imho: hero survival with some randomly dropped med-kits and a leveling system (as soon as I get some time to write it).

Some notes:
- the hero unit is shooting all the time (no matter if I press any mouse key or not)
- it would be cool to be able to use the jumping ability of the sarge (by pressing the bound key for example)

Anyway - great work! :-)
0 x

User avatar
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer
Posts: 7001
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 13:08

Re: Heroes - what to do with them?!

Post by zwzsg » 18 Jan 2012, 20:31

azaremoth wrote:- the hero unit is shooting all the time (no matter if I press any mouse key or not)
That one was hard to debug, but I found out the issue: It happens when you lag and there is less unsynced frames than synced frames.

Other times it fires while it shouldn't:
- When you leave the unit, it starts attacking whatever spot you were looking at. But a true hero never surrender, dying on the spot is the only honorable way out.
- If you click-spam, then the reloadtime is skipped. But let's pretend it's not a bug but a feature aiming at increasing weapon power without touching the weapon def.

azaremoth wrote:It should be included as a game-mode imho
Sure. Building a whole game mode out of this would be great. It's actually my final goal. But then I got the idea to use your Cursed models for it in 2009, yet haven't done anything since.
0 x

Post Reply

Return to “The Cursed”