Latest "The Cursed" available here - Page 4

Latest "The Cursed" available here

Azaremoth's epic game about bones, undead, demons and magic set in a futuristic environment.

Moderator: Content Developer

dimm

Re: The Cursed 1.11

Post by dimm »

azaremoth wrote:@dimm: just to be sure - radar dots will look like this.
as knorke suggests - some more categorisations won't be bad.

At least for me anything more than that is confusing.
Yup. Yes more categorization pls. Add small differences to different unit types like circle here or there. (nota imo..) No one needs to ever memorize any of the icons.

Ppl dont seem to have problems wit it in ZK. The icons are a feature.

I can't play any mod out of icon view. There is too much to keep track of and scrolling all across the map is not fun.
Godde

Post by Godde »

azaremoth wrote:
dimm wrote:Pls use Z-K's unit icons when zoomed out.
nice models
That would also mean that your enemy will be able to identify every unit that otherwise would only be a radar spot.
I think that it is possible to read the unit name once you've spotted it but that usually requires too much attention and time if you wanna know the enemy unit composition so it is rarely worthwhile doing. Personally I like playing really zoomed out and I would really appreciate if unit icons would show the facing of units so I don't have to zoom in order to see in which direction they are turned. 8)
Spring players take to so many features for granted and if some Spring game has done anything well we wan't it in all games. Just imagine if some modder disabled Line draw commands.
You don't have either line draw commands or strategic zoom in Starcraft yet I think thoose 2 things would change the gameplay of Starcraft 2 greatly.

On another note. I can't see spotted unit icons that are out of LoS in the main view but only on the minimap. It is like that in NOTA for example. Anyone know why?
smoth wrote:
dimm wrote:At least use NOTA's system of unit type.
Care to detail what the difference is?
NOTAs system have most units being distinguishable from icon view and especially cons stand out. Similar units like AK and HAK(heavy AK), have the same icon for example.
Being able to separate builders from others is really useful for me as I usually make selection box press CTRL-Z and send all the units to the front. Having builders canceling their construction is annoying. Offcourse I could just turn on a widget that deselects builders when I have combat units selected but I haven't really tried or figured out how to enable custom widgets in The Cursed.

Oh. Could you make the pigs be another colour than white?
When I have units selected and send them to the front and see the a white dot not moving(selected units turns white) I assume that the unit is stuck and I try to select it and move and then zoom in to see it is a pig... Them pigs...
Godde

Post by Godde »

dimm wrote:I can't play any mod out of icon view. There is too much to keep track of and scrolling all across the map is not fun.
Use arrow keys to move the camera or do as I do. Bind it to keys WASD so you don't have to move your hand when you press F for Fight.
Zooming in is really important. If you wanna see how units work and how to micro units you need to zoom in. Once you know how to micro your units against the enemy units you can even play zoomed out because then you know how they perform.
Although that requires that you know the enemy unit compositions and if you can't see the enemy unit composition from icon view then you need to zoom in and see what unit composition the enemy got.

I guess detailed icon view really helps to quickly access the strategic situation but for more tactical view you usually need to zoom in order to micro with better precision, dodge bullets, see enemy facing, angles of approach and Line of Fire.
dimm

Post by dimm »

Godde wrote: Spring players take to so many features for granted and if some Spring game has done anything well we wan't it in all games. Just imagine if some modder disabled Line draw commands.
You don't have either line draw commands or strategic zoom in Starcraft yet I think thoose 2 things would change the gameplay of Starcraft 2 greatly.

pigs be another colour than white?
Isn't that the point of spring; a feature for any mod is a feature for all mods? Disabled like in BA? Chuckle. The microing in spring is a lot better. Maybe someone should make a SC2 spring mod and find out.

Yeah the pig thing happens to me too.
Godde

Post by Godde »

dimm wrote:
Godde wrote: Spring players take to so many features for granted and if some Spring game has done anything well we wan't it in all games. Just imagine if some modder disabled Line draw commands.
Isn't that the point of spring; a feature for any mod is a feature for all mods? Disabled like in BA? Chuckle.
Dunno. I think it should be up to the gamemakers to make their own games though. If they think they don't want to include some features they should be able to do it without the features. Although I think I sense something about obsoleting nice looking models in favor of unit icons. Many players complained that s44 were just icon wars.
dimm

Post by dimm »

Godde wrote:Although I think I sense something about obsoleting nice looking models in favor of unit icons. Many players complained that s44 were just icon wars.
No. Micro needs to matter more and have more tactical options. And there needs to be less stuff to worry about.
Godde wrote:
dimm wrote:I can't play any mod out of icon view. There is too much to keep track of and scrolling all across the map is not fun.
Zooming in is really important. If you wanna see how units work and how to micro units you need to zoom in. Once you know how to micro your units against the enemy units you can even play zoomed out because then you know how they perform.
Yeah. I zoom in to see how things are going for a sec but the econ, defences, anti-stuff, units being built, raid counter, repair etc. all matter a lot more and as much as i would love to micro most of the game i can't.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

Well, actually I had a camera distance like in C&C or Starcraft in mind when I was creating the game. Thus there should be no great need to identify every unit based on an icon. As there seems to be a demand for more different radar dots I'll do more icon groups - but not a different Icon for every single unit.

Something like this:
aircrafts: triangles (as right now)
buildings: squares (as right now)
defenses: rhomb
builders: spanner
tier1 mobile units: small circles (as right now)
tier2 mobile units: bigger circles
angels, bonedragon: skulls (as right now)
Godde

Post by Godde »

Pigs could get a special icon instead of a different colour.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

The pigs will get no radar icon (an empty one). I guess noone needs to see the critters on the radar.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

dimm

Post by dimm »

Better, but more would be more better.
azaremoth wrote:Well, actually I had a camera distance like in C&C or Starcraft in mind when I was creating the game.
But this doesn't work out. At least because there are too many units resource sites etc. etc. Victory goes to the multitask-er.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Re: The Cursed 1.12

Post by azaremoth »

There is a new version online that sloves many of the problems/balance issues you guys were reporting and a bunch of other things. :-)

Please check the "new" balance of tier1 units. There are many changes addressing early game-play (gunner, marines, ghouls, pyros and bunkers are balanced differently now). You will also find some normal mapped buildings. There is a hidden hero unit included for future use. To play around with it give yourself the unite "euf_sarge" in cheat-mode.

Major changes 1.11 => 1.12

clean-ups & updates:
> removed duplicated jumping gadget for cob and lua animation files (Hail to lua!)
> updated LuaUI widgets to the lastest Zero-K versions
> added working "defense range" and "ghosted buildings" widgets

bugs:
> pyros do area damage as intended now => anti-swarm unit
> fixed movement class (water depth) for imperial infantery
> removed radar dots for critters
> imperial builderoids can be transported and loaded into bunkers now (they can't shoot in bunkers but they will repair them)
> imperial priests do not take damage and can not attack anymore when being in bunkers
> pieces of some units were visible in transports and bunkers
> fixed the description for the imperial plasma tower
> reclaimed imperial buildings don't keep providing prerequisites anymore

balance:
> rebalanced marines, pyros, gunners and ghouls
> no units can shoot through allied units anymore (except the cursed skeletal mages)
> bunkers are much cheaper now (costs: 300)
> Imperial factories and cursed hearts of darkness are 25% cheaper now => cheaper tier 2
> higher bullet speed for the cursed defender => better against air targets
> imperial priests are able to see cloaked and burrowed units now (sensing evil)
> imperial priests can not attack anymore
> imperial builderoids can shoot underwater targets now
> imperial scout aircrafts are much stronger now
> imperial AA-towers have a slightly higher reload time
> imperial intercceptors do only 10% damage against ground targets (like cursed blades)

polishing:
> new sounds (by kurt - OpenGameArt.org) and attack animations for the paladin
> some new sound effects for some weapons
> corpses stay twice as long on the battlefield now
> added additional classes of radar dots
> added a normal mapping shader and normal maps for some bigger units and buildings
> the imperial Lasertower became a beam-laser-tower

music:
> added spacy music by LordClemi (Stars Synth Gamez & Stars Synth Play), POL (Android after dinner), Denny Schneidemesser ("Awakening the warrior within") and PlayOnLoop.com ("Battle march")
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Re: The Cursed 1.13

Post by azaremoth »

We have released a Spring-84.0 ready version. It took me some time to redo boroken animations and to hunt down some other problemes. Check out the changes and please report bugs and other issues.

Major changes 1.12 => 1.13

Clean-ups & updates:
- Spring 84.0 ready: updated many gadgets and widgets to be compatible with the recent spring engine version
- implemented a LuaAI (CAI - from Zero-K)
- added a parry system for melee untis (paladin, ghoul and skeleton)
- added advanced walls for the cursed
- merged and updated the jumping and teleport gadgets to work smoother
- fixed some animations
- added a mod option to define how long corpses should stay on the battlefield
- added a new experience system: units will XP for all killed close enemies

Balance:
- melee weapons only do 50% damage against heavy armor
- AOE units won't hurt themselves anymore
- marines do fire bursts
- many small balance changes were performed (adv. artillery ranges, some costs,...)

Polishing:
- updated user interface (using the ZeroK-selection menue)
- updated some sounds
- updated some explosion effects (using stuff from Smoth's GundamRTS)
- added some new normal maps
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I was wondering why no geo, then looked at infolog:
[f=0000000] missing file: config/featureconfig.lua
[f=0000000] No features loaded
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

zwzsg wrote:I was wondering why no geo, then looked at infolog:
[f=0000000] missing file: config/featureconfig.lua
[f=0000000] No features loaded
No - that is fine. It is the feature Placer that tells you that no featureconfig.lua exists for your map.

Geos are actually there - I just replaced the basic smoke effect with empty bitmaps - thus you can not see them. It looked kind of silly that a corpse of a marine or skeleton was smoking like a wrecked tank. The fact that the Geos have no "steam effect" anymore is sort of collateral damage here... :wink:
knorke

Post by knorke »

azaremoth wrote: I just replaced the basic smoke effect with empty bitmaps - thus you can not see them. It looked kind of silly that a corpse of a marine or skeleton was smoking like a wrecked tank.
try: smokeTime=0
http://springrts.com/wiki/Units-FeatureDefs#Visual
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

It could have been that easy... :roll: Thx for that tip!
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Re: The Cursed 1.15

Post by azaremoth »

A new version is online. The biggest change is the replacement of the (old) survival mode. I adopted the latest ZeroK chicken mode (incl. the UI) to The Cursed - You will have to survive waves of jumping ghouls and all the other nasty undead until a giant bone dragon will crush your base...

Major changes 1.13 => 1.15

Clean-ups & updates:
- fixed custom formations for jumping units
- fixed marines not able to shoot out of bunkers
- replaced the Survival Mode with the brand new Zombie Survival Mode
- added UI elements for the Survival Mode
- fixed non-spawning start units on some maps
- updated the map-border widgets not to get loaded if it was specified by the mapper/ in the map
- AI controlled ghouls and skeletal mages will jump/teleport in survival mode now
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Is this getting regular play? If not, what would you like to do to achieve that, Aza?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

No it doesent. And it has it even difficulter, having a scifi comunity surrounding it, beeing half fantasy.

All there is, is a balanced, polished and fine game. ;)

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/tutorials-101
It needs a single Player. One that introduces everything, from game mechanics to advanced tactics.

You dont gain enough momentum otherwise. And it would be a crying shame to let it go to waste. You have the W40K Mod of Spring, dont let it go to waste, here out in the dessert of badsd.

Return to “The Cursed”