Latest "The Cursed" available here - Page 6

Latest "The Cursed" available here

Azaremoth's epic game about bones, undead, demons and magic set in a futuristic environment.

Moderator: Content Developer

gajop

Re: Latest "The Cursed" available here

Post by gajop »

klapmongool wrote: Annoying things:
no base e/m income means that when you spend your e that 1 solar takes ages to build.
Yeah, one needs to start building those solars after the mexes are done ASAP or he risks losing all the E (mexes use E?) and as building solars requires E it's easy to get stuck on your first plays - I suggest removing the E requirement from solars.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

Thanks for the feed-back folks.
klapmongool wrote:Can't build units with the cursed except airunits (although in 1 game it did work :S)
That is not a bug - it is a feature ;) You probably did not find out yet that the cursed are producing most of their units with mobile builders. It is working like this: Obelisk => Pyramid => Necromancer => Tier 1 units. You can also switch necromancers to summoning stance anywhere to make them "act like a factory"
klapmongool wrote:Cursed builders have trouble building on the edge of their range, when the order is placed on the edge it will keep the order on even though it cant build it.
I could not reproduce that bug - what building did you try to build?

klapmongool wrote:Bombers drop to the ground on Stop command, sometimes they mysteriously do that twice :S
That is most probably engine related - thus I can't do anything about it.
klapmongool wrote:I was shooting an imperial airscout (of my own) on the ground. When it was almost dead it lifted off and started a very long dieing animation.

Cursed tech building (forgot name) has 3 build options that have to be placed on the ground but they just wont place.

More stuff that I forgot.

Annoying things:
no base e/m income means that when you spend your e that 1 solar takes ages to build.
These things are fixed/rebalanced now (version 1.24+). 8)
klapmongool wrote:GUI is ugly, probably ZK players love it (was playing a couple against a ZK player and he loved it).
That is a matter of taste imho and moreover UI is a pain to replace or to recode. I am staying close to ZeroK to be able to use their updates/code - thus ZeroK players will probably all like it. Like for all spring games - you can override the UI with anything else that is working.

Here is the update:

Major changes 1.22 => 1.24

Bugs:

- fixed crashing UI for specators
- increased the build distance of the heart of darkness

Balance:
- tier 1 metal extractors do not cost metal anymore
- tier 1 energy buildings do not cost energy anymore

Polishing:

- removed death animation from imperial airscouts
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

azaremoth wrote:
klapmongool wrote:Bombers drop to the ground on Stop command, sometimes they mysteriously do that twice :S
http://www.cplusplus.com/

https://github.com/spring/spring

Now you can. ;)
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

PicassoCT wrote:
azaremoth wrote:
http://www.cplusplus.com/

https://github.com/spring/spring

Now you can. ;)
You don't want a bioengineer to code anything else then DNA :wink:
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Instead of removing the death anims you could just check if the unit is landed before running it?
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

FLOZi wrote:Instead of removing the death anims you could just check if the unit is landed before running it?
Yes - in theory. I tried to convert the script to lua in the first step to check for the units y-position afterwards but the failed at the first step. The unit refused to play any animations in the killed function and even worse - the killed unit was not removed. Thus the removal of the animation part was an easier quick win.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

azaremoth wrote:Thanks for the feed-back folks.
klapmongool wrote:Can't build units with the cursed except airunits (although in 1 game it did work :S)
That is not a bug - it is a feature ;) You probably did not find out yet that the cursed are producing most of their units with mobile builders. It is working like this: Obelisk => Pyramid => Necromancer => Tier 1 units. You can also switch necromancers to summoning stance anywhere to make them "act like a factory"
klapmongool wrote:Cursed builders have trouble building on the edge of their range, when the order is placed on the edge it will keep the order on even though it cant build it.
I could not reproduce that bug - what building did you try to build?

klapmongool wrote:I was shooting an imperial airscout (of my own) on the ground. When it was almost dead it lifted off and started a very long dieing animation.

Cursed tech building (forgot name) has 3 build options that have to be placed on the ground but they just wont place.

More stuff that I forgot.

Annoying things:
These things are fixed/rebalanced now (version 1.24+). 8)
klapmongool wrote:GUI is ugly, probably ZK players love it (was playing a couple against a ZK player and he loved it).
That is a matter of taste imho and moreover UI is a pain to replace or to recode. I am staying close to ZeroK to be able to use their updates/code - thus ZeroK players will probably all like it. Like for all spring games - you can override the UI with anything else that is working.

Here is the update:

Major changes 1.22 => 1.24

Bugs:

- fixed crashing UI for specators
- increased the build distance of the heart of darkness

Balance:
- tier 1 metal extractors do not cost metal anymore
- tier 1 energy buildings do not cost energy anymore

Polishing:

- removed death animation from imperial airscouts
Nice job. Good to see that you are so quick with these improvements.

About the unit building with the cursed: that wasn't it. One game I did build necromancers and witches and used them both but the next serie of games the factory that makes them just wouldnt produce either. I could queue them but it just wouldn't produce (plenty of m and e btw).

About the edge building; pretty much any building I think but I was trying those builder things themselves (to expand). The problem is that the builder doesn't recognise the chosen spot as being out of range and it just hangs at it.

I'll certainly try and test some stuff later this week.
smoth

Post by smoth »

azaremoth wrote: Thus the removal of the animation part was an easier quick win.
assuming you commented out the anim, you can always bring it back later.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Did a quick test game with Imperials and found this:

Imperials:
- Buildings have no LOS
- E-cost of metal extractors seems way too high 10 e while solar gives 20
- Don't see e-cost of buildings/units
- No storage buildings is kinda annoying, storage only goes up slightly with t2 mexes
- Unit Angel lacks requirement description in menu (and wow, buildtime is extremely long)
- Walls are a bit weird to build because of long shape. So when dragging non-straight lines the wall parts dont connect
- Technology centre shield draws alot of power but cannot be switched on/off (also don't know what technology it actually provides..)
- Possible balance issue: self-healing of units seems to go really fast

Also, the autohost needs some proper config.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

klapmongool wrote:About the unit building with the cursed: that wasn't it. One game I did build necromancers and witches and used them both but the next serie of games the factory that makes them just wouldnt produce either. I could queue them but it just wouldn't produce (plenty of m and e btw).
Strange thing - does this happen more often to you? I never saw that bug and noone ever reported it before. It sounds like the buildspot was blocked. There is a very rare chance that a pig (critter) spawned inside the Pyramid. But that should almost never happen...
- Buildings have no LOS
That is intended. Only defense buildings have a LOS > 64 so far. I'll double the range for the other buildings...
- E-cost of metal extractors seems way too high 10 e while solar gives 20
Also intended as part of the eco system.
- Don't see e-cost of buildings/units
Buildcosts are always metal = energy = buildtime (except mexes and solars/soulstones since last release) - I should replace the icon in the tool tip though.
- No storage buildings is kinda annoying, storage only goes up slightly with t2 mexes
I will set that on the long term-to-do. It will require some modeling and so on... :wink:
- Unit Angel lacks requirement description in menu (and wow, buildtime is extremely long)
Will be added and the priest's buildpower will be increased by 50%.
- Walls are a bit weird to build because of long shape. So when dragging non-straight lines the wall parts dont connect
The only way around that would be drawing walls by LUA or replacing the walls with pillar shaped wall segments. Also rather something for the to-do-list.
- Technology centre shield draws alot of power but cannot be switched on/off (also don't know what technology it actually provides..)
I'll fix that
- Possible balance issue: self-healing of units seems to go really fast
The self healing is actually quite slow. Imperial buildings do not regenerate at all. But whenever a hero unit is around the regeneration is very fast (healing aura) - maybe the effect (yellow ground flash) should be better visible.

Thx for all the feed-back. All finds and balance suggestions are more then welcome. :-)
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

Major changes 1.24 => 1.241

Balance:
- increased sight distance of all "blind" buildings to 256
- made shielded tech center on/off-able
- level one metal extractors and soulstones/solars can store 100 metal/energy
- level two metal extractors and soulcages/powerplants can store 500 metal/energy
- increased imperial priest's buildpower by 50%
- metal extractor do cost 30 metal/energy now (to stay close to the general costs formula)
- base construction units (builderoids ands obelisks) have a doubled income now (Level1: metal +0.5, energy +5, Level2: metal +1, energy +10)

Polishing:
- replaced the metal beam image for unit costs
- updated some descriptions
knorke

Post by knorke »

The unit refused to play any animations in the killed function and even worse - the killed unit was not removed.
The dead unit is removed once script.killed() has returned.
If there is an error or endless loop, it never returns and the unit remains.

I saw a pig run out of the obelysk and after a few meters it got teleported back to the obelysk and run away again. Happend again and again. Or maybe it died and it was a different pig. What is up with that?
knorke

Post by knorke »

some error with jumpjets:
http://pastebin.com/5JvLNBwA
seems to happen quite often when ghouls die.

can units not shoot out of bunkers anymore?
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

knorke wrote:If there is an error or endless loop, it never returns and the unit remains.
The return was included in the killed() function. I have no idea what it does not wirk with gunships + Lua animation...
azaremoth wrote:I saw a pig run out of the obelysk and after a few meters it got teleported back to the obelysk and run away again. Happend again and again. Or maybe it died and it was a different pig. What is up with that?
No idea... But I'll add a function into the critter spawner that checks for units on the spawning location before placing pigs there. Having pigs in your factories is a NoNo. :roll:
knorke wrote:seems to happen quite often when ghouls die.
Damn it - that is an old, reintroduced bug. I hav updated the jumpjets gadget to latest ZeroK version and that did reintroduce that bug obviously. Reverting is the solution I guess... :wink:
knorke wrote:can units not shoot out of bunkers anymore?
that is fixable - it was limited to the imperial marines (animation script).
knorke

Post by knorke »

I have no idea what it does not wirk with gunships + Lua animation...
gunships can have death animations like any other units. (they do in mah mod, no problems)
If you have filename/pastebin I can look maybe?

What does it mean if units have a glow under them?
Attachments
schweinschen_AlienDesert_91.sdf
replay with funny pig.
2:15-2:30 and 3:00 until end
(106.47 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

healing aura?

i always wondered how one get the oldta - hawk crashing to work.. i always tried.. always fell from the sky like rocks
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

PicassoCT wrote:healing aura?
Almost - the "Hero aura" - healing and +25% weapon range bonus. :twisted:
knorke wrote:gunships can have death animations like any other units. (they do in mah mod, no problems)
If you have filename/pastebin I can look maybe?
Of course - feel free to have a look (script and unit defs):
http://pastebin.com/hCqsR9iY
http://pastebin.com/nUYvY3ae

And more fixes:

Major changes 1.241 => 1.242

Bugs:
- fixed crashing gadget when jumping units die
- fixed imperial marines and cursed gunners not being able to shoot out of bunkers
- fixed pigs spawning inside buildings

Polishing:

- added the proper building effects for the imperial artillery tower
- added a mod option that removes all AI stragglers after all their buildings were killed (active by default)
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

Major changes 1.242 => 1.25

Bugs:
- fixed AI's imperial constructors shooting torpedos
- fixed and removed some stuff to make the game compatible with Spring 93.1+
- fixed imperial transport
- fixed cursed gunners not beeing able to shoot in bunkers
- fixed a sound probleme

Polishing:
- added widget that draws circles around units buffed by auras
- replaced the imperial paladin's skin with a better/darker looking one
- optimized bunkers pick-up and release behavior: only klick one button to release a unit from the bunker (one by one)
- added glow effects to several units and buildings
- added a normal map texture for the imperial bunker
- added a widget indicating units that are under influence of an aura

Balance:
- burrowed units can not be detected by walking close to them anymore (you need have seers, priests, sensorbots or heroes around to detect them)
NeonStorm

Post by NeonStorm »

If metal extractors cost so many metal, doesn't they cost much more metal than your builders per second?

Why not let units cost no energy at all but add 1 energy consumption per 1 metal production.
-> 1m would be like "1m+1e", could be described as "build resource" unit.

That would at least avoid that shields drain all your build abilities.
-> If you have metal, you can build.

But I noticed some bug:
* the mouse cursors are invisible for attack fight
* attack mouse cursor is visible outside map, fight not

Else it's a very good game
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

The (tier 1) metal extractors are rather cheap compared to construction units (30m/e vs. 200 or 250) and the metal output on almost all maps is far higher. The advanced metal extractors do cost lots of metal "as invest" but you will get much more metal in return.

The fact that units cost energy is intended. Keeping your economy running is a vital part of the game. Shields need much energy - thus you need to provide it - otherwise your production will suffer (and your base defense towers will not fire).

Thx for reporting the bug. Can you give me some more information about it (what cursed version? what map? what Gfx card)? I can not reproduce it right away.

Return to “The Cursed”