The Cursed 0.131 - public beta - Page 5

The Cursed 0.131 - public beta

Azaremoth's epic game about bones, undead, demons and magic set in a futuristic environment.

Moderator: Content Developer

Google_Frog

Re: The Cursed 0.11 - fixed public beta release

Post by Google_Frog »

Afaik only necromaner, pyramid and obelisk have proportionally very long build times. It makes the start take forever.

Edit: Could you also add some categories for the different armour types and then give units bad target categories for armour types that they do reduced damage to.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Re: The Cursed 0.11 - fixed public beta release

Post by azaremoth »

OK - damn - I guess I missed the most important units while changing buildtimes/workertimes...

Here we go (v0.12): http://jobjol.nl/2140
Hoi wrote:Could you try to make a very obvious diffrence between the ui part where you can give orders (attack, ect...) and things you can build? Right now everything is sticked together. It should be easy to see what is what, so maybe make the nonbuildpic just a bit larger, and then make a small bar around the buildable things?
I'll work on the UI as soon as the game runs smooth and stable. There is a lot of stuff to do there. Having the buildpics separated from the other buttons is a good thing.
Google_Frog wrote:Could you also add some categories for the different armour types and then give units bad target categories for armour types that they do reduced damage to.
I'll add that to the list.
Google_Frog

Re: The Cursed 0.12 - public beta

Post by Google_Frog »

Can obelisks have their repeat back? It's useful.
That is still a construction site - in the next release only necromancers and liches will be able to assist themselves and the Altar of Evil. There will be no other assisting elsewhere.
In the new version nothing is able to assist anything.

After a few 1v1s I think turret push is too powerful. This is on small maps(about 12 across) but would apply to large map teamgames. There are a few reasons for this:
1. It takes so long to build your first unit. With the cost of the pyramid and the necro it's faster to build turrets everywhere to expand.
2. The Dog isn't really artillery. It only has a little more range so it often takes damage from the turrets. I'd suggest making a dedicated arty unit which dies to mobiles very easily so that they can be spammed against a base push.
3. Reclaim. Old towers can be reclaimed to make the line of turrets move across the map for no net metal cost. There is still E cost but generally E is so cheap there's no point paying attention to it.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

Can obelisks have their repeat back? It's useful.
Yep - definitely!
In the new version nothing is able to assist anything.
Oh - yeah - I have separated the changelog from the my first post (it is linked there) - I guess it will getting bigger and bigger. I have decided to give it a try without any assisting:
changelog wrote:Changes 0.11 => 0.12

- fixed buildtimes
- removed the LUPS cloaking effect from burrowed units
- no more assisting for anything (all units/factories can assist, none can be assisted) - let us see how this plays.
After a few 1v1s I think turret push is too powerful. This is on small maps(about 12 across) but would apply to large map teamgames. There are a few reasons for this:
1. It takes so long to build your first unit. With the cost of the pyramid and the necro it's faster to build turrets everywhere to expand.
2. The Dog isn't really artillery. It only has a little more range so it often takes damage from the turrets. I'd suggest making a dedicated arty unit which dies to mobiles very easily so that they can be spammed against a base push.
3. Reclaim. Old towers can be reclaimed to make the line of turrets move across the map for no net metal cost. There is still E cost but generally E is so cheap there's no point paying attention to it.
Good - I'll calm down the costs for the pyramid and the necros (there is no use in delaying unit production too much) and I'll give the bonebeast a higher range as well as a higher trajectory.
Dotz

Post by Dotz »

Man, I hate ATI cards. if something graphic related isn't working it's always their fault! I hope someone buys out ATI so everyone is safe from their terror... anyway, I'll try the lua shader thing mentioned earlier, but that will mean I can't play CA (I think) because my CA crashes seemed to be lua shader related. but not all mods crashed, so it must have been a specific shader. anyway, I love the mod! perhaps you can make a demon race as well? that would be awesome!
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

azaremoth wrote: What is not done yet:
- a smoth balance
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

JAZCASH wrote:
azaremoth wrote: What is not done yet:
- a smoth balance
Anyone who finds a spelling mistake is allowed to keep it :wink: (Maybe I want a smooth balance based on a balance made by smoth - a "smoth balance" so to speak :P )
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Anything smoth is automatically good.

(Seriously, I actually thought that 'mispelling' was on purpose)
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

Guessmyname wrote:Anything smoth is automatically good.

(Seriously, I actually thought that 'mispelling' was on purpose)
Lol - Ok - I had a look in the "urban dictionary". That one was not on purpose - but I have to keep it that way. I want a smoothly balanced not-smoth-but-full-goth game. Yeah!
Regret

Post by Regret »

Highlight text for spoiler: smoth is a user on spring forums
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

The two of them know each other...

Anyway, the game goes back to desktop while spring continues to use up all CPU when running it through the commanders script.

There are a few hidden Thumbs.db files in the archive by the way.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

rattle wrote:The two of them know each other...
Yes we do - but Smoth's nickname... I didn`t have a clue all the time - now my eyes are wide open... :wink:
Anyway, the game goes back to desktop while spring continues to use up all CPU when running it through the commanders script.
Try either to start the game via Client or use the Commanders (1000 res) script. These two ways should work.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Never mind, it was MPC interfering with spring when using a shader (I was using one to shift the color range to TV colors).

Looks pretty good. You desperately need someone to take care of sound effects. I'd recommend sfxr to generate samples and audacity for editing/mixing. Neither require you to be a genius to get something done quick.
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

In my opinion, interceptors should be considerably more expensive and build slower. They seem to basically rule the early game.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

rattle wrote:You desperately need someone to take care of sound effects. I'd recommend sfxr to generate samples and audacity for editing/mixing. Neither require you to be a genius to get something done quick.
Thanks for the tip - I`ll have a look at sfxr... Sound effects are not my specialty though.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

Maybe it is time for some news here: We are pretty close to the next release. There is some new exciting stuff implemented and some things should be little more balanced right now.

What we have right:
- a new unit: the witch. She can use auras, has a slow-down-ray and can capture enemies. Auras must enabled by special buildings (totems), build by the Heart of Darkness. The witch can cast a shield spell, as soon as a Altar of Evil was built.
- the skeleton mage gets a short-ranged teleport spell - this one is fun to use and should be very interesting regarding gameplay.
- there are summoning stances for the lich and the necromancer now - in this stance the summoners will act as factories. You can choose your way of playing/summoning now.
- the Seer (radar flying thing) can see all burrowed units in its line of sight
- there is a curse-aura for the lich (must be enabled first)
- we have included the crude menue from CA
- the armor classes are reduced to LIGHT, HEAVY and FLYER (badtargetcategory is used here)
- the bonebeasts are more usefull against defender turrets now
- many other tweaks and changes...

We need to test it properly first, but 0.13 shouldn't be too far away and it should be much more fun concerning gameplay.

Actually I am just posting to show some "screenshots" :wink: :

ash2life

Post by ash2life »

a herd of pigs! and naked witches! * :oops: :oops:

great stuff!
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Any chance of releasing the piggies publically so s44 can use them on maps? :(
knorke

Post by knorke »

so the magicdudes have buildbuttons now that work like inmobile factories and you do not have to click on the terrain anymore?
winrar!!
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

knorke wrote:so the magicdudes have buildbuttons now that work like inmobile factories and you do not have to click on the terrain anymore?
winrar!!
Actually you can play both ways. You can push a button and the summoners will get into a immobile stance that works just like a factory. You can use them as they were before also. Now everybody (including me) should be happy :-)

Return to “The Cursed”