The Cursed 0.131 - public beta - Page 7

The Cursed 0.131 - public beta

Azaremoth's epic game about bones, undead, demons and magic set in a futuristic environment.

Moderator: Content Developer

Argh

Re: The Cursed 0.131 - public beta

Post by Argh »

Um... does that work in Spring? I'm not sure it does, and I'm really not sure it works with S3O.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Why what works with TA's 3do wouldn't work with Spring's s3o? :roll:
Argh

Post by Argh »

One's quads, for one thing. Have you tried it with S3O?
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

No, I want to hear your 500 lines of impressive sounding bullshit explanation of why it wouldn't work first. :P

Anyway, to not hijack the topic of that awesome mod too much: It was already mentionned, but the groundecal hiding the metal map is annoying. Maybe I should make a widget to redraw a crude metal map over the whole?

When obelisk built obelisk, they are limited by obelisk range, which means you need about twice as much obelisk to cover the terrain than you would normally need. So now I always build obelisk with Necromancer. Which opens up the problem of not finding back my Necromancers when they're lost amongst building several times their size. Maybe I should make a widget to have their rod shine hugely briefly periodically? I also wish the stance button was enquable, and changed icon when the stance change.

I tried the witch's meteor storm, and it looks like it missed the target. Is it meant to be totally innacurate or is this a bug?

Lord Muffe kept attacking me with planes, I hadn't much trouble downing them, but still I'm curious, what constitute good AA for the Cursed?

Otherwise yeah, really good mod. It just need some way to limit the zooming out so I can appreciate it more.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Argh wrote:I'd like to see any Infologs related to the LUPS module issues.

I wasn't aware that there were any problems with desync, it passed QA over here.
There was an episode in which SA had desync issues due to LUPS AFAIK.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

zwzsg wrote:Can you increase building slope tolerance alot? I'd like to be able to build on non totalky flat area.
I'll put that on the list.
I'm not very keen about the new menu. There's windows all over the place and no [x] in their corner to close them. The buildpics were also looking better previously.
Hmmm... that is an strange issue (with LuaUI) - It looks different on my computers. I'll fix that.
zwzsg wrote:Played TA:K much?
That is for sure! :mrgreen: Remember my TA:K mod: "The Cursed"? You will find some unit concepts in the new cursed again: skeletons, the rictus, a wall of teeth, necromancers, bone hands as defense towers...Image
zwzsg wrote:You can do bouncy animation with just .bos
The boobs remid of some Russ Meyer films... Scary somehow... :wink:
Argh wrote:]I'd like to see any Infologs related to the LUPS module issues.

I wasn't aware that there were any problems with desync, it passed QA over here.
No panic - it is not LUPS in general - it seams to be the implementation in the Cursed - I have borked something there...
zwzsg wrote:Which opens up the problem of not finding back my Necromancers when they're lost amongst building several times their size. Maybe I should make a widget to have their rod shine hugely briefly periodically?
Sounds good! Please do it!
zwzsg wrote:I also wish the stance button was enquable, and changed icon when the stance change.
I'll change that - it is on my list.
zwzsg wrote:I tried the witch's meteor storm, and it looks like it missed the target. Is it meant to be totally innacurate or is this a bug?
It is meant to be inaccurate - maybe it is little too much right now.
zwzsg wrote:Lord Muffe kept attacking me with planes, I hadn't much trouble downing them, but still I'm curious, what constitute good AA for the Cursed?
What kind of planes were these? in 0.131 I made the blades (the intereptors) only able to attack air. Air vs. ground is lvl 2 only right now. Liches can build crawlers to counter air most effective. Skeletal mages and defenders are quite useful too though.

Concernig the zoom - Aren't there already Lua scripts that force a certain zoom level? Maybe using them would be a good idea...
Dotz

Post by Dotz »

ok, freakin put some clothes on the witch, this is a mod about the undead, not the unclothed. lol
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

azaremoth wrote:Sounds good! Please do it!
Hi! I made you a widget! It draws an unpretty metal map +8 over the ground, thus hiding the decals and orginal metal map. But then I noticed the Cursed already has a "Metalmap hides decals" widget. :(
Attachments
gui_metal_view_1.2.lua
Edit: Had borked the gradient in previous version.
(3.06 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
Last edited by zwzsg on 07 Aug 2009, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

zwzsg wrote:
Hi! I made you a widget! It draws an unpretty metal map +8 over the ground, thus hiding the decals and orginal metal map. But then I noticed the Cursed already has a "Metalmap hides decals" widget. :(
Err did I miss something? Sorry I should have made it more "public" but I didn't enable it by default because it turns on grounddecals for those who might not want it on.

Yeah it's the first thing people noticed that the awesome looking "blight" hides the metal spots so I made that widget. It turned out that it comes in handy in CA as well since there can be so many scars (especially after your base is ravaged) and you can't find those metal spots anymore. So I added it there too.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Also: Error in Update(): [string "LuaUI/Widgets/cmd_unit_mover.lua"]:63: bad argument #1 to 'getn' (table expected, got nil)
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

Dotz wrote:ok, freakin put some clothes on the witch, this is a mod about the undead, not the unclothed. lol
That is the point - it is about undead and they are cold anyway - no need for clothes... :wink:
zwzsg wrote:
I wrote about the show-where-the-necromancers-are-widget there. Take a look at my post. Sorry for the work you did. I had (included and) posted about Car's hide-ground-decals-widget one of the last relases.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

screen052.png
(2.11 MiB) Downloaded 184 times
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

The aim point on your turret needs to not be at the firing point, if the firing point is inside a unit (a melee skeleton, say) it will be unable to aim at the target.

Your models in CA had a similiar problem (we fixed it by putting the aim from point as the centre of the turret, not the end of the barrel).
smoth

Post by smoth »

azaremoth wrote:Image
is this back from when I reviewed your race on the tau forums?
Achilla

Post by Achilla »

If you need inspiration for current and future factions, immerse yourself in Fallout and Dawn of War series, I believe they will be of help. Other than that looking forward to this project.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Played a fair few games, prettymuch have it down i think. Gotta say, you've a surprisingly good game here, given how much playtesting its presumably had (very little id think). The mages might be a touch OP with their teleport.

Bit of a shame that most of the units often come after the game is decided, if at all, though i suppose it might be different in a team game on a larger map.

Some of the graphics are amazing, but on to the bugs.

Your alpha channels are wrong on your effect textures, they end up with weird hard edges: use a different file format or remove the alpha channel. This is why you need so much particle spam to make it look good (which can lag on lower end machines).

The hitspheres on the skeletons are wrong, this is especially important for the melee skeletons. They often get their hitspheres inside other units and cant hit them. Collide/Avoidfriendly = false is probably a good idea, since this thing is never going to be shooting through another unit, the range is too short. Use custom collision volumes either way.

collisionVolumeOffsets = [[X? Y Z?]],
collisionVolumeScales = [[X? Y Z?]], (Dunno, X and Z might be the other way around but you wont have to use them)
collisionVolumeType = [[CylY]], (Thats a Cylinder on the Y axis, good for most of your skeletons).

I got a weird bug with the dragon where he stopped firing. FPS'ing him showed that his reload time was minus several million %. I suspect you're setting it in the script somewhere? Is this something to disable units when you've no energy? Or is it something to do with the slow attack (i was attacking it with witches).
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Saktoth wrote:Or is it something to do with the slow attack (i was attacking it with witches).
That one's my doing. I tested it extensively but not on the dragon. Should only slow reloadtime to twice as long.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Skeleton mage is definitely OP, with his teleport he is faster than any other unit, has more range, and can kite, engage or flee at will. You need no other unit.

Im also not sure about ressurection: Once an area is capped with an obelisk, it remains capped forever, since you only need a necro to come res it all to get it back. You dont need to re-expand with the obelisk. This perhaps helps to make up slightly for how easily obelisks and mexes die, though.

And of course, summoner stance crashes.

The Sledgehammer always fires forwards, as aircraft with missiles are want to do, and with such low guidance, often misses his target entirely. Reduce the tolerance (he wont fire on flyovers), change it to a turret, give it guidance etc.

The prediction on the witches hellstorm routinely means she ends up hitting herself when firing at a target coming towards her.

Det complains that the units are too small and hard to see- personally im just glad that they arent as bad as s44/IW but you could afford to increase them without many gameplay changes given how large you've made your footprints and hitspheres.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

No, I want to hear your 500 lines of impressive sounding bullshit explanation of why it wouldn't work first. :P
A man after my own heart.
bartvbl

Post by bartvbl »

If you change the state of that basic building unit from the pyramid, and try to build something, you get a crash.

Infolog: http://www.pastebin.org/47059

Return to “The Cursed”