The Cursed 0.131 - public beta - Page 2

The Cursed 0.131 - public beta

Azaremoth's epic game about bones, undead, demons and magic set in a futuristic environment.

Moderator: Content Developer

ash2life

Re: The Cursed 0.1 - first public beta release

Post by ash2life »

outstanding work!
i got it working and enjoyed it greatly
- please keep working on it, this is unique and rare for spring
det

Post by det »

azaremoth wrote:
smoth wrote:AWESOME!

What license is it under?
pd, cc, gpl, etc

don't know if you saw it, but I did a light review of your race for ta:k some time ago it was my top pick. <3 man.
http://www.tauniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33599

About the license - I need to pick a good fitting one. I see the game as an aggregate of different things:

- scripts (cob, lua) and definitions (all .tdf, fbi,...): these files are GPL (as the have to be for spring :wink: )
- sounds: all used sounds are GPL
- models, textures and other grafic-files: I do not want them to be used in other games or mods or see them altered unless I give "special" admission.
First, let me say I am a big fan if your work. Your units are among my favorites in CA and the screenshots for this game look fantastic.

I am a little disappointed, though. I find it disheartening when content creators piggyback on the hard work of others (Spring engine, LUPS, sounds, etc) and then decide that their work can't be openly shared as others have done for them. Your work would be a great resource for the copyleft community (Which you are building upon). Won't you please reconsider the licensing?

Also note that it is highly likely that Spring will be a part of Debian-Games in the very near future. If your work is released under a DFSG license, then your mod can be a part of Debian and all derivative distributions (Ubuntu, etc).
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

det wrote:I am a little disappointed, though. I find it disheartening when content creators piggyback on the hard work of others (Spring engine, LUPS, sounds, etc) and then decide that their work can't be openly shared as others have done for them. Your work would be a great resource for the copyleft community (Which you are building upon). Won't you please reconsider the licensing?
I really appreciate the work all people did for the Spring engine, the Lua scripts, LUPS and all the other things linked to it. What I am doing here is a free game based on this work - you might guess that I am not (only) creating a game for my personal pleasure. It is something for the community. It is free and it will stay free (we even have commercial projects here using lots of the work you are talking about). You can`t say, content creators are scrounging here. Moreover and most important - "The Cursed" it is also a piece of art. I simply don`t want to have it torn into pieces and recycled for whatever...
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

His game, and there is no problem with desiring to preserve the integrity of your work. Spring is not open so all who use it must be open, Spring is open to provide a resource so people who would otherwise be unable to produce what they desire can do so. If this production is closed, so be it.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Great work.

And a great big piece of meat behind bars for the hungry modding community.
smoth

Post by smoth »

there is nothing wrong with that azaremoth, people do not understand what it is for an artist, each model is a piece of you and I can sympathize with your want to keep your art. Stick with your guns, you don't have to open up your project and the fact that people in this community want to pressure you about it is shameful.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Regret wrote:Great work.

Might inspire them to learn cooking.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Regarding the lua, I offered to help with the lua in this game so I'm responsible for that. I didn't know aza was going to beta-release this yet (he must have been eager to get it out there :P) though so I'm sorry for anything that's not yet completed. I am of course dividing my time between this game and CA. Last time I checked, morphing was working so if something went wrong between then and now I'll take a look.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Don't worry, beta releases are common here and necessary anyway to get a real feeling for how people will approach the game.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

smoth wrote:His game, and there is no problem with desiring to preserve the integrity of your work. Spring is not open so all who use it must be open, Spring is open to provide a resource so people who would otherwise be unable to produce what they desire can do so. If this production is closed, so be it.
neddiedrow wrote:there is nothing wrong with that azaremoth, people do not understand what it is for an artist, each model is a piece of you and I can sympathize with your want to keep your art. Stick with your guns, you don't have to open up your project and the fact that people in this community want to pressure you about it is shameful.
KDR_11k wrote:
Regret wrote:Great work.

Might inspire them to learn cooking.
Thank you folks! At least some people are understanding here! :-)
Regarding the lua, I offered to help with the lua in this game so I'm responsible for that. I didn't know aza was going to beta-release this yet (he must have been eager to get it out there :P) though so I'm sorry for anything that's not yet completed. I am of course dividing my time between this game and CA. Last time I checked, morphing was working so if something went wrong between then and now I'll take a look.
No ambush intended. :wink: As KDR_11k said... We need the feedback to improve balacing and iron out bugs. I have checked the game in 1on1 multiplayer games several times before releasing - everything worked fine there. I even had it on four different computers (XP and Vista systems, no linux though) - everything was working (except Argh's beautiful realtime lighting shader is not supported by ATI cards). I guess these are not the luas... maybe broken downloads, spring settings, ... I hope it will be gone with the next bug fixed release in a few days.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

For now, better change the download url to the one lurker posted. The other url is corrupt according to archivemover, and spring does not detect it (I moved it manually).
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I think it is the Lua. A different hardware might make the shader crash in different ways, taking the whole gadget with it, or not.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

how does it play? anyone?
Journier

Post by Journier »

playing 3v3 with car, google, quantum , juzza etc....

uh... get desync first frame every game.

3 of us stayed synced , me quantum and jazza, the rest are in a seperate world.

http://pastebin.com/m3c758159

eta-

it plays better than alot of games.

better balance than CA atliest.

Fido's shouldnt be able to shoot through each other, that shit is irritating.

air gets raped by turrets...

just about everything gets raped by turrets, except fido.

fast skeleton can counter fido, if you have enough of them.....
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

zwzsg wrote:I think it is the Lua. A different hardware might make the shader crash in different ways, taking the whole gadget with it, or not.
Journier wrote:playing 3v3 with car, google, quantum , juzza etc....

uh... get desync first frame every game.

3 of us stayed synced , me quantum and jazza, the rest are in a seperate world.

http://pastebin.com/m3c758159
It is a pitty that this causes desync... If we can`t find a solution to it I'll have to remove the GLSL shader. I wonder if this happens in PURE also...
Journier wrote:it plays better than alot of games.

better balance than CA atliest.

Fido's shouldnt be able to shoot through each other, that shit is irritating.

air gets raped by turrets...

just about everything gets raped by turrets, except fido.

fast skeleton can counter fido, if you have enough of them.....
I need more of that kind of feedback - It helps balancing! As far as "fidos" (bonebeasts) are concerned - their role is the "turret killer" - they can easily stay out of range while taking out the turrets (defenders). For level 2 units it is the Agares that can take out Cursed Hands while staying out of range. What do you think - are the defenders (lvl1 turrets) too strong (dps) or too cheap? I'll remove the special damage vs. air.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

The problem is just that it's kinna lame that a turret kills nearly everything exept x unit. All units should be able to kill the turret if you have enough of them. And with enough I don't mean 1000 :wink:
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

Hoi wrote:The problem is just that it's kinna lame that a turret kills nearly everything exept x unit. All units should be able to kill the turret if you have enough of them. And with enough I don't mean 1000 :wink:
Well - that is pretty easy possible. All skeleton units can take out the defenders if you have enough of them. The bonebeast in contrast can take them out without having anything to fear because they stay out of range. Same thing is true for level 2 units - you can take out the Cursed Hands with Agares or Purgatory. The towers can not hit theses units, because they are (or at least could be) out of range. You can send Mermeoths, Belials, Ricutus(-es) to take them out - but this will cause casualties.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I haven't actually played this against anyone, no I don't think a few desynced FFAs count as against anyone. From what I saw it's not balance but I can give some feedback on other things.

Firstly you've got a massive mess of special damages, these make the game really unintuitive for the player. I had a look and all units have their own % effectiveness of default damage against the 4 different ground armour types. There's no way for players too see this so they have to remember every single permutation of X vs Y on a case-by-case basis instead of thinking for example; 'this is good against fast things' and applying that knowledge elsewhere. So you might want to think of removing them. If not you could clean them up a lot and make them visible ingame. I noticed that most did decreasing damage to decreasing armour weight (ultraheavy to light), in this case there's no point, why not just give ultraheavy more hp? There are a few units with equal damage to all and then a few with more damage to ultra heavy then decreasing to light. You could condense the armour to 2 or 3 (light, med and heavy) and weapons to 2 or 3(anti light, normal vs everything and anti heavy).Keep the damages from the weapons to each armour type consistent. eg lightning does 25% more damage to heavy and 25% less to light. Heavy could be easily distinguishable by having flesh on the bones and light could be just bones.

The varying costs of all buildings and units makes the economy very un-fluid. You could be building one thing and stalling one resource then change what you're building and stall a different resource. This makes part of unit choice controlled by economy instead of countering the enemy and could limit build orders and strats. Idk, you might want this say if someone is aiming for unit X which takes a lot of BP so they spam obelisks.

What is suppose to be able to assist what? I found that obelisks could only assist necros and liche and that necros and liche could only assist other necros and liche. I got the impression that other people could do other things which could suggest a gadget that causes desync.

The under construction green fuzz around buildings causes a lot of slow-down. Is an effect that detailed really necessary?

Obelisks can reclaim enemy units almost instantly. I'd suggest disabling reclaiming enemies.

Apparently resurrect is near instant too which could be used in battles to make them never end. This was happening in the other universe than the one I was in so it may be caused by desync.

Turrets and other things are FPSable which can be used to make them shoot further than they can.

Also for your burrow detection issue I suggest giving them a decloak radius. As suicide units and melees can be burrowed this would make melees of your own best for sweeping an area for burrowed units both because they're expendable and good at short range. This would also make them continue to be useful later on.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Google_Frog wrote: The varying costs of all buildings and units makes the economy very un-fluid. You could be building one thing and stalling one resource then change what you're building and stall a different resource. This makes part of unit choice controlled by economy instead of countering the enemy and could limit build orders and strats. Idk, you might want this say if someone is aiming for unit X which takes a lot of BP so they spam obelisks.
This does not have to be CA
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

he wasnt calling it CA

they are all pretty valid points i didnt see google asking for 1:1:1.

I need to try this when i get my pc running properly, it looks intresting and with good gameplay/balance it could be the most promising spring mod/game yet :]

Return to “The Cursed”