The Cursed - Death and Rebirth

Azaremoth's epic game about bones, undead, demons and magic set in a futuristic environment.

Moderator: Content Developer

azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

I want to announce a mod project and declare it dead at once. :wink: Actually I was planning to release "The Cursed - pure evil" as a third race for P.U.R.E. They (the cursed) were close to a releasable beta version with just one unit missing and a rather awkward balancing. Some animations, teamcolors and fx could have needed some polishing - but mmeeeeehhhh... most work was done.

As P.U.R.E is going commerical I don't want to continue this project as a P.U.R.E. mod. Thus I will continue with this mod as a stand-alone. I hope I can release a first beta this May.

Here are some pictures you will never see ingame: :cry:

Pxtl

Re: The Cursed - Death and Rebirth

Post by Pxtl »

Holy shiat, I remember seeing you working on those Doom-esque units, but never knew what was to come of it. Awesome. Sad that PURE going commercial has thrown such a monkeywrench in your plans.

edit: Argh is planning on releasing a "free" version of PURE (retail version will include more maps and single-player campaign, but PURE "free" version is pretty much what we've got already, afaik).

Couldn't this be distributed as a mutator for PURE free-version if you wanted to save the trouble?
Last edited by Pxtl on 28 Apr 2009, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I look forward to trying it out!
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

i think it's adequate to say 'omg wtf' here. by all means, release this stuff.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I am glad he is going independent, I think his work deserves to stand on it's own. Azaremoth, you are one talented mother fucker.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

I like this, can't wait to try it.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

If theirs animations is as good as theirs still shots, could be the best spring mod I've ever seen.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Looks very yummy. Units similar in style, great atmosphere. Looking forward to playing this.
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

Very cool looking units
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Nice necrons mate!
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Sweet. Fantasy or scifi-fantasy?
Argh

Post by Argh »

You could have, y'know, talked to me about this. Our monkeywrench wasn't at all on purpose, we just didn't know what you were planning to do- I figured you were going to go the same route I did, and develop one faction at a time.

Anyhow, it looks sweet, and we have plenty of room in our loose storyline to fit in new things. One of the benefits of being vague.

You're more than welcome to offer it as a third race that we'd pay you for the rights to distribute if we like it (and have money).

Maybe just keep polishing that faction until we're officially released and talk to us then? Sorry if that's offensive or whatever, just thought I'd say that we don't regard that door as closed. There is plenty of room in the universe of P.U.R.E. for diversity and new factions, and if that helps me help other people get their work out to the broader public (whether or not you want to get paid) I'll be happy to facilitate that.

It's one of the many benefits of using an Open Source engine, basically. If you work on something like this, you're not making a 'mod' but are instead basically building a genuine expansion, and so long as it's not distributing our content, it's 100% legal- we certainly don't mind if people link their stuff to ours, so long as they're in accordance with the EULA. And we'd be more than happy to offer stuff like this to customers. Whether as an add-on or as a percentage of each sale.

I can't really emphasize that aspect of things enough- it would not make me upset at all, if someday P.U.R.E. has 20 factions, we built two of them, and the project was still making small amounts of money for everybody. Instead of having the parasitical relationship with modders that most games do, where they're fattening their sales curves with content people are making for free, P.U.R.E. could become a model of something much better for everybody involved.

I'm talking out of my ass here, I know- nothing's happened yet. But I think it's possible, and it's part of my goals, once I have proven that we can actually make money here.

At any rate, think it over, and if you're interested, talk to me in about a month.
VonGratz

Post by VonGratz »

OMG
Very creative and cool :!:
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

They remind me of the Necron mod I had started couple years ago with two more french.

Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

It seems like we have made similar errors in working in the dark, but yours may prove less wasteful.

Release your own game! I'm pretty sure all of the FGJL supports you, and your work is worth it. I'll raise a glass to you, Azaremoth. I wondered what you were up to these days.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

neddiedrow wrote:I wondered what you were up to these days.
He was making a game instead of wasting time posting on internet forums. :P
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

zwzsg wrote:
neddiedrow wrote:I wondered what you were up to these days.
He was making a game instead of wasting time posting on internet forums. :P
If you tracked my posting, I've posted more in the last two weeks than the half year prior, primarily due to time concerns and my dependence on an EEE PC.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

azaremoth wrote:Actually I was planning to release "The Cursed - pure evil" as a third race for P.U.R.E.
I'm not sure it's a good idea to develop a third race for someone else's mod anyway, especially not without coordination since races have to be coordinated really damn well. I think you'll have more freedom to shape the race the way you want without having to worry about keeping them in line with two existing races. If you needed any of PURE's code remember that all code is GPL and you can use it.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

smoth wrote:Azaremoth, you are one talented mother fucker.
Thanks for the flowers everybody.
zwzsg wrote:If theirs animations is as good as theirs still shots, could be the best spring mod I've ever seen.
Some of the animations don`t look as good as I wish - on balance I would call the anims "good average".
zwzsg wrote:They remind me of the Necron mod I had started couple years ago with two more french.
My artwork, especially the buildings, are somewhat necron-inspired. I saw your screenshots - before them I never have had a look at the Warhammer 40K art. Thus you are kind of resonsible for the look of my buildings :wink:
KDR_11k wrote:
azaremoth wrote:Actually I was planning to release "The Cursed - pure evil" as a third race for P.U.R.E.
I'm not sure it's a good idea to develop a third race for someone else's mod anyway, especially not without coordination since races have to be coordinated really damn well. I think you'll have more freedom to shape the race the way you want without having to worry about keeping them in line with two existing races. If you needed any of PURE's code remember that all code is GPL and you can use it.
Well, balacing is a real issue and the fact that the soldiers in PURE are sooo small - thus I had to scale the skeletons and necromancers down - I would have prefered 125% size. But in all other aspects I had all the freedom I needed and Argh made PURE very "modder-friendly".

Is every piece of code GPL? There are many luas with "(C) Wolfe Games 2008" - that doesn`t sound like GPL. Not sure about that...
Argh wrote:Our monkeywrench wasn't at all on purpose, we just didn't know what you were planning to do- I figured you were going to go the same route I did, and develop one faction at a time.
You cound not know about my plans. I wanted to wait until my stuff is complete enough to be shown. I just didn`t expect ANY spring mod/game to go commercial. That was my fault. I wish you good luck with your project and your sales!

Argh wrote:I'm talking out of my ass here, I know- nothing's happened yet. But I think it's possible, and it's part of my goals, once I have proven that we can actually make money here.

At any rate, think it over, and if you're interested, talk to me in about a month.
Well, if your game attracts many players and you gain broader publicity I will consider making a free "Cursed vs. P.U.R.E." mod. But right now I don`t want to have my stuff sold with P.U.R.E. It is kind of giving my mod away. When you want to sell it, there are going to be hundreds of compromises I would have to agree with...

As you said - we can talk about that in one or two months. We will see where I am with the Cursed and how the P.U.R.E. community evolves.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Impressive

Return to “The Cursed”