NanoBlobs 0.64 - Page 6

NanoBlobs 0.64

WolfeGames and projects headed by Argh.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Well... once we get into games of it, sure.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:what, double all buildtimes?
That doesn't make the units slower.
Argh wrote:Should I make a slow-mo version? It's relatively easy to do...
Dunno, if you got some spare time and feel like doing it... it's easy when using a multiplier in your animation scripts. I usually do that and only time stuff once and then change the multiplier.
That would make sense in a version with build limits in place. :-)
knorke wrote:players could just lower the gamespeed anyway Wink
I have to play on 0.7, 0.6, ... 0.3 ... 0.1 after a short while and then I usually alt+f4 out of it cause it becomes a CPU/GPU stress test for my crap system.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

I think NanoBlobs may be running into an engine limitation.

I've hosted a couple of games, and each one ended in the repeating "No sync response received from [name]" error. Now, I know my hosting's fine.

I think it's "desyncing" because so many units are added to the simulation in so little of time. I think it's similar to what used to happen if you queued up 50 buildings to be built at once... the game desyncs.

So buildtimes may need to be slowed down.

Also, another bug. When Sheep (or I presume other mobile builders) build Wolves (or any other flying unit, I presume), the Wolves are automagically ordered to move to the top left corner of the map. This is wonderful if you are in the top left corner of the map, but not so much if you are in the bottom right! :wink:
Argh

Post by Argh »

Slowing down buildtimes won't really help much- I've tried it before. I need to make a version with strict (and small) unit limits, frankly. If I host on my fat cable bandwidth, I do not have desync problems, but I haven't hosted since 0.63, so I'll have to see what happens now.
Also, another bug. When Sheep (or I presume other mobile builders) build Wolves (or any other flying unit, I presume), the Wolves are automagically ordered to move to the top left corner of the map. This is wonderful if you are in the top left corner of the map, but not so much if you are in the bottom right!
That's an engine bug... I will report it in Mantis...
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Is the spire rook weapon missing it's explosion effect? Also didn't the springer have selection sounds before? I'm sure they were in one of the earlier 0.64 releases...
edit: The Lord's weapon's explosion effect is gone too.

"Oh yeah, detonating 30 demons makes me desynch with my local game you might want to look into that..." 8)

That nuke is pretty btw when watching (one of) it go off from a distance, I still get about 10 fps then. :-)
Argh

Post by Argh »

Hmm, the Springer should have selection sounds... I'll look into that. As for the SpireRook and Lord... well, there are a whole bunch of weapons that just show a glow when they hit- this was supposed to be a visual clue as to what type of weapon they are. Pure energy weapons just leave a glow on the ground. I could add a few sparks in, though, just to give it a little voom.

I'm working on a game-balanced variant with very low unit limits- like, 100 or so as the max count. And the Demon may get cut from that mix, just to keep FPS at acceptable levels for people with low-end machines. It might be fun.
Uberleechen

Post by Uberleechen »

Which is the proper 0.64 version? The [~8MB] one that comes with the GPL Spring, or the 16MB version you posted? (Nanoblobs64, not Nanoblobs064)

Thanks.
Argh

Post by Argh »

The 8.7MB one. The 16MB one included a version of NanoArena, but is not the final cut. The one I put up on the website at the link:

http://wolfegames.com/TA_Section/PreRel ... obs064.sdz should be in all ways identical with the GPL Release version.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Ah, Argh - i have two Requests.. first thing.. if a Unit is destroyed, could it have Gears, Wheels and Feathers in Addition to the Usual Unit Parts flying away ?

Second. Could the Small Sheep, if Self-D - heal (at least limited) all Units (includes Enemys;) surrounding it. Would be cool, because i always found the normal Repairfunction of the Sheep useless during the Great Race for Economics..

Thx for Replying and everything else is great - just keep it that way..
Argh

Post by Argh »

Gears, wheels, and ... feathers???

And yes, it would be nice if weapons allowed for negative damage, but they don't.

BTW, for those new to the mod, or wondering how 0.64's gameplay differs from prior versions here is a demo file.
It shows me beating the "Random Enemies" scenario. Badly and inefficiently. My best time, during testing, was around 25 minutes. Please show me a demo of you doing better- I want to see some tactical innovations :-) And MP Demos are very much wanted!
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

For some reason, the nanoblobs downloaded in the installer is different from the nanoblobs downloadable from your site, yet they both have the same name. Needless to say this is causing sync errors between people, trying to work out which version everyone is hosting.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Argh wrote:Hmm, the Springer should have selection sounds... I'll look into that. As for the SpireRook and Lord... well, there are a whole bunch of weapons that just show a glow when they hit- this was supposed to be a visual clue as to what type of weapon they are. Pure energy weapons just leave a glow on the ground. I could add a few sparks in, though, just to give it a little voom.
I know, but the glow is gone. I double checked this from several angles!
The Lord usually left pink stains in the ground and the SpireRook left green stuff. I tested the the version which came with the GPL installer on NOiZE latest map.

edit: Hmm... it uses my trees which make use of shader transparencies. Maybe that's the reason... or something like that must break it because I tested it on some other maps without trouble (such as NanoArenaV2). It's only the ground glow which is missing on NOiZE's map...

Could you confirm that to rule out my old graphics card?

/me feels like a fool now
Argh

Post by Argh »

For some reason, the nanoblobs downloaded in the installer is different from the nanoblobs downloadable from your site, yet they both have the same name.

:evil: That is not good. Well, ok, I'll fix that, by uploading the one in the GPL installer to the FTP, and correcting the D/L link. I really wonder how that happened :P

Everybody who downloaded NanoBlobs as a separate mod, please re-download from the link posted at the start of this thread. The checksums apparently differ between the GPL release version and the one on my website. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

@Rattle:

Hmm... it uses the transparencies... I really don't know. I'll try it with NOIZE's map soonest.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Yes but it doesn't abuse shaders for transparencies. That's why I'm confused... maybe RGBA textures are ignored on maps which make use of texture 2 alpha when the GL fragment extension isn't available.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Picasso means springs, it's a translation error, both feathers and springs are called Feder in German.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Now all we need is Argh to come on the lobby every once in a while to show people how to play it. :P
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

ARGH could be evil, take SubCom Units and make a SubCom Blob.. and after a 14 Days counter ... all of the Sudden all of the SubComUnits are deleted and depleted, and the Nanoblobs addicted will have to love and live with the genious SpireRook..... :twisted: But Argh doesen`t care about stupid peoplz :cry: Has no Mercy with the blind

:cry: :cry: Why does never ever somebody care for the SM? Those poor, lost beeings!
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Argh, could you upload NB to unknown-files so people who accidentally downloaded the XTA version of Spring and want to join a NB game can find it using unknown files' search functions?
Argh

Post by Argh »

PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Great Screenshots, Greater Mod - and poor Description... Programmers and Advertising... You sell this Mod short... ARGH !!

Lets Try another Version! Here we go - and no false Understatment :)

You have seen the Hordes of AA, you ve tasted the Tears of Opponents in Speedmetall and you think you are ready for a new, faster, unforgiving Challenge ? A Mod that really shows who is in Controll and who is in the Coffin! Here it is - Nanoblobs - the Mod were every Pound of Metall, not busy Building, is already needed to Attack. The mechanized Nuclear Inferno is just one Click away! Are you Man enough to push that Button ?

I know it is way to Oversized. Cut the Sentences.. edit the Language, but hell - this is no // I coment my own Programcode and nobody ever is going to read this anyway line....

Sorry if i oversteped some Borders of Good Taste, but hey, it s me.
:wink: :wink:

Return to “Argh's Projects”