NanoBlobs 0.64 - Page 8

NanoBlobs 0.64

WolfeGames and projects headed by Argh.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Actually Nanoblobz makes a lot of sence in context. A holder is a holder. It holds territory. A Knight is a knight, in most sences of the word, as it is a fast shock troop that excelles at close range combat. A deamon is...well...a deamon with nukes and guns and such.

Or at least it makes perfect sence when it's one in the morning and I'm sleepy. I don't know how it will look in the morning :lol:
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

A wolf is a raider that attacks sheep. Although it looks like an eagle.
Argh

Post by Argh »

It's not my fault the Wolf looks like a pot-bellied crow- the concept was DRB's, and his sense of humor about such things is even more obscure than mine ;)
Erom

Post by Erom »

Call the current Wolf the Sparrow, reduce it's model size by 50%, and make it faster and less costly, but no health or weapons. Basically a Peeper. Then remake a new fast ground unit for harrassment and raiding called the wolf.

No sense wasting the (rather amusingly excellent, imo) model you already have done for the wolf.

Just my 2c.
Uberleechen

Post by Uberleechen »

We already have a fast ground unit/raider: The Knight.

Wolves just need a wee bit more firepower, need to be hit less often by non-rapid fire, should perhaps be a little faster, and should cost more. Or cancel the cost upgrade, and just make them have a slight takeoff delay if possible.

I haven't seen wolves play a decisive role in any battle yet....

Giant request: Is there a command that will let me select all the wolves I currently have? Sort of like the old OTA select-all-armed-air command...? This would make wolves far more useful than they are now.

I often have an autofac or two spouting wolves and throwing them one by one at the enemy just so I have constant viewing of their units, and my ranged units can target the enemy/I can target the appropriate spots. So for this use, at least, the peeper-equivalent would be fine.

I played a match on Chess somethingorother that someone downloaded (grr...) and since it's a perfectly flat map, wow but knights eat everything...
With NanoArena, the trenches and hills really, really slow down and hurt knights, as closing to range takes long enough for them to be killed off relatively easily.

On a side note, the Knight is by far my favorite unit in nanoblobs...I only yesterday zoomed in on a bunch and noticed the little shields (and how they actually look like knights)...truely awesome.

Oh, and holders are scary now.
Erom

Post by Erom »

Point taken. But when you Argh re-makes the wolf model... seriously consider using the existing model for some sort of scout.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Uberleechen wrote: Giant request: Is there a command that will let me select all the wolves I currently have? Sort of like the old OTA select-all-armed-air command...? This would make wolves far more useful than they are now.
Select one Wolf+ctrl+z
Make one specifically to select all wolfs in the selection keys editor.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

I just got done with a game... one thing I noticed was the Lord and Demon death explosions (the "nuke blasts").

Both seem... static... from above, it seems like the explosion is a sprite that just gets bigger and then fades away. Is there any way to make it "roil"? So that it doesn't look static from the top?

I mean, the explosions look great... and if this can be solved within Spring, I think they'd be the best dynamically generated explosions I've ever seen.
Uberleechen

Request:

Post by Uberleechen »

Argh, can I upload NanoArenaV4 to unknown-files? Just then the autolink will work...

And thanks LordMatt...I didn't know you could configure keysets in spring.
LordMatt

Re: Request:

Post by LordMatt »

Uberleechen wrote: And thanks LordMatt...I didn't know you could configure keysets in spring.
You can also make keybindings to build units. Paste this in your uikeys.txt file. You build the units by holding shift+space+letter. You can change what letter they are if you can think of something better than what I put.

Code: Select all

fakemeta 0x020
//Nanoblobs
bind		Shift+Meta+a buildunit_Archer // Archer
bind		Shift+Meta+f buildunit_AutoFac // AutoFac
bind		Shift+Meta+v buildunit_Demon // Demon
bind		Shift+Meta+q buildunit_Holder // Holder
bind		Shift+Meta+t buildunit_Knight // Knight
//bind		Shift+Meta+? buildunit_Lord // Lord
bind		Shift+Meta+s buildunit_Sheep // Sheep
bind		Shift+Meta+e buildunit_MegaSheep // MegaSheep
bind		Shift+Meta+r buildunit_SpireRook // SpireRook
bind		Shift+Meta+h buildunit_Springer // Springer
bind		Shift+Meta+g buildunit_SquareRook // SquareRook
bind		Shift+Meta+d buildunit_Strider // Strider
bind		Shift+Meta+t buildunit_TriRook // TriRook
bind		Shift+Meta+w buildunit_Wolf // Wolf
Uberleechen

Post by Uberleechen »

I'm not entirely sure how to produce various selectkeys for the units of nanoblobs....

something like:
bind ctrl+w select wolf
?
I don't know how to word a select command :(

Or is modifying selectkeys.txt better?

Edit: I just found the selectkeys editor....ooh...
...I feel rather foolish now...
Edit2:I fail at selectkeys.
Edit3: taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7582&highlight=selectkeys
gave me my answer (credit to mongus).
Z AllMap+_Not_Commander_InPrevSel+_ClearSelection_SelectAll+ in selectkeys.txt selects all units of the same type as t he 1+ that you currently have selected. Sure, this isn't as fast as just having one key assigned to each unit that I want to full-select, but considering that I've been doing this so far by zooming out and double-clicking...and I haven't lost a game yet (even though the vast majority of my playtime has been spent at <1 fps due to a foolish priority setting :twisted: ) I think it'll work out okay, and this way I don't need to remember any more than "Z".
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

select a wolf then press ctrl+z
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Uberleechen wrote:I haven't seen wolves play a decisive role in any battle yet....
Use them as raiders, they work really well. In any one game, i have my sheep producing about 3 Wolfs/second, flying directly at the enemy with my swarm of units. If I see a priorty target, like a demon, or wandering Lord, I will mass my wolfs in a corner somewhere for a few seconds, wait till i have ~50 of them, then send them in in a big swarm. That priorty unit dies. Basically one shot strategic units. Of course, if the enemy has massed AA units, then this wont work, but then you just roll in with other units and take out the AA.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Yes, feel free to upload NanoArena V4 to UnknownFiles.

Return to “Argh's Projects”