NanoBlobs 0.54b - Page 4

NanoBlobs 0.54b

WolfeGames and projects headed by Argh.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Dunno, I'd say let the wings flap up and down. It worked for Dune it'll work for Nanoblobz.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Hmm, on a cyclic timer? Easy enough... might be entertaining... not much code, either. I need to clean up the Wolf model (and several others) and get rid of un-needed parent/child stuff that is no longer being used, as part of final cleanup, before I do that.

As for the comments about "good GPUs"... erm... it looks just fine with all of the bells and whistles off, really, but yes, you're missing out if you can't use all of Spring's new features. Sorry, but this is intended to be a technical showcase mod, and at this point, it plays quite nicely even on the slowest systems, provided you turn everything down to the same levels you'd use for AA, or even a bit higher (because of the new particle/explosion stuff, it actually runs better). And for the next version, I am seriously considering how to get rid of the nanospray entirely, which should also really help with lag.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

shownanoframe=0 on all units, shownanospray=0 on all builders will remove any instance of nanospray or nanoframes in the mod.

however, it means you'll need construction animations of some sort, since without the nanoframe building anim, units appear as finished as soon as the construction begins.

the tags should work next release (they do in the test builds).

As for nanoblobs, it now plays very nicely on my system, which is about as low as you can go and still run spring. Great work Argh.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll put some sort've build animation in at some point soon. I dunno whether it'll get into this version or not, though- to do it really nicely is not a minor undertaking, and I may want to just build a second "race" for the mod with this feature planned, instead of having to impose yet another hacked-up solution into the current mod. However, I am going to make the nanospray particles nice and small for the 0.73b version, to help reduce lag somewhat.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Speaking of 'Thopters, I'm doing one right now...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

ah so you've got a replacement nanospray image?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Yeah... 1/4 current size, and looks much cooler, too. Should help somewhat with overdraw issues.

But I'm thinking, really thinking... that if I could come up with some kewl way to depict Sheep building things, then I could go to a system where we have a simple build animation... I have had a somewhat-crazy, nutty idea, which I think I'm gonna try out tonight... it may really be cool, or a complete waste of time, tho, so I'm not promising a thing.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I'm not sure what you can do about the sheep without a redesign. In GINTA I'm using an engineering tank, that simply has an excavator arm it scratches on the ground when building something but your sheep don't have any large movable parts I've seen. After all they need some indication what they are building.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Yeah, that's the kicker- I designed the Sheep around the previous limitations of Spring, and I may or may not decide to live with it, I dunno. I'm still experimenting with options in my head... what I'm thinking about is one of those "maybe cool, maybe flakey" kind've things, so I'm sitting on it until I'm done testing it.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Annihilation_Spring

A certain mod is missing from the mods list there...
Argh

Post by Argh »

It's always been like that. I don't really care :-)
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Is it alright if we add it?
esteroth12

Post by esteroth12 »

Fixed it! ;)

Although Argh should look at the description, and edit to his liking... i just took some stuff from the old wiki page (why did noize change it?)

e: wow, 2 posts while i wrote 3 lines...
Argh

Post by Argh »

Yes that description's just fine :-) Thanks.
Argh

Post by Argh »

and yes, those hydraulics will work
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

*drool*

What unit is this, if I may enquire?
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

Wolf pup
Exit69

Post by Exit69 »

I think we now have Chickens instead of Sheeps :-)
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

It looks like a baby (or chick) of the "Wolf" unit, which actually looks like a bird, but calling it a Wolf Chick is just :shock: (unless you're into that, which is neither here nor there...) so I figure Wolf pup is the most appropriate, until Argh tells us what it is called anyways.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Hmm. Chicken, eh? I was thinking something a bit more aggro, like "Bluebird" or "Robin". Maybe, "Sparrow of Dooooom"?

Seriously speaking, I'm still thinking up a name. The role of this thing will be interesting, though. Lemme put it this way: it will move precisely the same speed as a Strider. And it will have a shield. Daisho, anyone? As if Striders weren't scary enough ;)

And yes, before anybody smarter than I am points it out, the hydraulics will need a wee bit of... editing... before they will work perfectly. I'll put up another shot when I've completed that bit (bummer that I didn't do that before I uvmapped it, but hey, I'm tired).

Return to “Argh's Projects”