Project Two: Now Recruiting - Page 3

Project Two: Now Recruiting

WolfeGames and projects headed by Argh.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

I *would* like to throw my support in for zwzsg's idea of having more return on Gold the more time a cattle has been 'alive'.
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

SwiftSpear wrote:
Zenka wrote:
Zoombie wrote:Well just add some polygons and retexture them some, and those units would look much better. Much much better.
Oh yes, I need an entire week to remake a unit, using the old script. You sound like you can just hit an button to "add" a few poligons.
Ya, crtl-a newb!
As for Wings 3d, yes I used the program for 5 minutes.

You don't really get me, do you. I didn't ment the litteral poligon adding. If that would be enough, I'll just load the old modal, hit the smooth option and be done with the model.

Back to the topic, not much sense babbling about this.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

We still haven't come up with an idea that has met with Argh!s support. Any other ideas, cause I'm plum out (Of fantisy ideas's that is. I've got plenty of Sci-fi ones though).
MrSpontaneous

Post by MrSpontaneous »

It depends on what type of setting you want.

Do you want something sciency or magicy?

perhaps genetic engineering was developed way before explosives? (is that even possible?) maybe it takes place in a dimention with differnt pysics, leading to what we would consider a mis match of technologies

perhaps some one stumbled on how to manipulat the fabric of the universe, and caused some problems. . .

things to think about.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Nah. If your going to have magic HAVE MAGIC! Don't have technological magic (aka Star Trek type tech) have MAGIC.
MrSpontaneous

Post by MrSpontaneous »

magic is simply a word used to describe principles that do not exist or are not understood. It still obays its own set of rules, weather that be matter and energy can not be created/destroyed or as long as I have enough will I can create anything I want.

edit: btw, zoombie, I like your setting, seems like it would also make a great rpg as well if you are not using it for such already :-) .
Last edited by MrSpontaneous on 18 May 2006, 06:30, edited 1 time in total.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Yeah but to me if Magic is just nano-bots then its not 'real' magic. Its just extreamly advanced Science. Its a little stickler that changes something from Fantasy to Sci-Fi, in my eye's at least.
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

When I think of magic, it's more like The Elder Scrolls or DnD stuff, but I greatly appreciate the Lord of the Rings 'universe' for the manifestation of magic that is tremendously subtle, deep, complex, and arcane
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

They had little to no magic in LOTR. And that was why it was great. Magic was something so compleatly OUT of normal day life that most of the people on Middle Earth did their best not to think about it.
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

Zoombie wrote:They had little to no magic in LOTR. And that was why it was great. Magic was something so compleatly OUT of normal day life that most of the people on Middle Earth did their best not to think about it.
I believe you are incorrect, but I am not a Tolkien scholar, so I'll leave the argument to someone else to make. Coming a bit closer to the topic though, LotR-style magic is completely incompatible with games, you want to shoot fire and lightning at people. or drop a meteor shower on their heads (which by the way is much easier to do than many people would expect in Spring, but I wouldn't put it past Argh to figure it out).
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Are you sure? I remember there just being the ring magic and some hits of magic in the backround (Wizerds and such). But it has been what...five years sence I read the books last. I should check...AGAIN!
MrSpontaneous

Post by MrSpontaneous »

I believe that the elves have some subtle magics they use. Also, it is likly that most of the displays of magic are in the silmarillian
smoth

Post by smoth »

Zoombie wrote:Are you sure? I remember there just being the ring magic and some hits of magic in the backround (Wizerds and such). But it has been what...five years sence I read the books last. I should check...AGAIN!
lol, magic is REAL... read the bible. Heh.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Alllll right ;)

Here's the scoop:

The backstory is set in a place called Geo. It's a mad frolic through the late 19th Century's steampunk and 14th Century Gothic, mixed with crazy technology and deep magic.

This is a place where cathedrals walk, gargoyles are alive, and the Magic Folk walk the planet. Wars rage between the unstable slaves of Humanity and the few folks who still believe that the Gods will some day return.

Humanity remains within a vainglorious Dark Age, trapped by its own hubris and atavistic barbarism.

Humanity fell from godlike powers during the Starfall War, and still fights to preserve itself from extinction at the hands of the races it created in the deeps of time. However, the Human tribes are shattered into cultures who are opposed to one another- the Shapers and the Melders.

Shapers started the Starfall War. They believed that Magic was given to Humanity to rebuild the universe in Humanity's image.

The Melders objected, because they believe that Humanity needs to stay within the bounds of Gaia to be whole. They rejected the Shapers' calls to rebuild the universe, which they declared unfit and unwise.

The Beautiful Ones, ageless creatures created by the Melders in an effort to improve upon themselves, have turned inwards, and are scarcely less barbaric than their Human forebears. They have sought the inner workings of the magic unlocked when Humanity reached its greatest heights, and are skilled at the arts of creation. Beautiful Ones sometimes join in the "play" of war, and make fearsome adversaries. Neither the Shapers nor the Melders can always claim them as allies, however, and their relationship to the two sides is very blurry. Some say that they are simply trying to wear out the remaining Avatars of Humanity and take their rightful place, but no one knows for sure.

The Maw are a race of beings the Shapers created to fight their wars on countless worlds, first against the alien beings who Humanity met as it travelled the stars, then were set upon the Melders when the Starfall War began. As the Shapers lost control of the universe in their endless war with the Melders, the Maw became less and less controllable, and the ancient secrets of controlling these beings have been lost. Fierce, militant and built with ancient Tek and Magic, the Maw are eternally dangerous, and now seek to exterminate the other beings on the planet.

The Savage were created by the Melders as a defense against the Maw. The Melders did not want to control the Savage, as they felt this would make them guilty of the same sins as the Shapers. Instead, they gave the Savage a built-in hatred of outside authority and a creative genome, that allows the race to reshape itself to counter any possible threat. Originally, the Melders intended to plant the Savage on planets that the Shapers wanted, but over time, as the Shapers and Melders both descended into barbarism, the Savage became first bodyguards, then informal allies with the remaining Melders.

The Tinkers are the remains of another attempt by Humanity to reshape itself. They worship Tek, and dislike magic. They originally sided with the Shapers, but now fight for anyone who will hire them. Tinkers hate the Maw, for the Maw possess Tek but do not understand it, and are destructive for the sake of it.

Lastly, the Dark Ones. They are beings who believe that the Shapers and Melders are both wrong, and that the entire purpose of Life is to organize the universe into stasis. The Dark Ones worship Entropy, and seek to finally end the threat posed by both the Shapers and the Melders by extinguising Humanity. Hated and feared by all, the Dark Ones are, perhaps, the most dangerous beings in the universe.

This is the last chance for Humanity to reconcile itself with its own internal contradictions. Who will win? Will the Maw simply eradicate every being who doesn't fit into their narrow view of the meaning of Life? Will the Savage simply out-evolve everyone and return Geo to chaos? Will the Dark Ones reduce Life to a simplistic set of inputs and outputs, destroying everything that it means to be human? Will theMelders finally return Geo to a state of blissful Nature?

It's all up to you.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Thats what six races? I see a brain tumor on your horizon.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

No I see either ltos of small races each greatly unique

OR

I see a set fo a few races each able to build and use a number of sub races, sort of like in a ww2 mod seeing the Allies the USSR and The nazis, rather than UK/France/US/Russia/other Soviet states/Nazi germany/Naother nazi occupied states
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

I'm hoping it is six races, if you can pull it off and fully form each one of them
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

SIx races would be crazy good.

or just crazy.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

... six races ...
Don't aim at full six races. At least not just yet. That will greatly increase the death probability of your project.

My advice is be sure to aim at beeing good with 1~3. Then, you can extend it to more races. Easier to climb steps(?) than to climb a huge hill.

I have seen huge ammounts of projects in Happypenguin aiming at beeing everything and plus some only to die soon after when people realise the magnitude of what is ahead of them.
Optimus Prime

Post by Optimus Prime »

SwiftSpear wrote:Spring is a bit of an unfortuneate engine to realize such a vision... Organic models are very difficult to animate effectively in spring and you won't be able to include much in the way of fun details if you want large scale battles to work well.

I'd offer to do concept art if you need it but other then that I'll have to wish you best of luck and leave it at that.
I think the same. For a mod with living creatures, i would wait untill the devs create a new animation system where you can import animations from 3ds max or so. Just have a look at Starwars mod and see how the infantry walks. It looks like they were all dummies but no humans. For a mod with only living creatures that would loook really bad or you have to work very very much on the animations so that they look good.

Return to “Argh's Projects”