P.U.R.E. has gone Commercial. - Page 4

P.U.R.E. has gone Commercial.

WolfeGames and projects headed by Argh.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Pxtl

Re: P.U.R.E. is going Commercial.

Post by Pxtl »

Speaking of which, last time I was online, everybody was in a game of RC7. Was that beta-testing or what? Does RC7 exist?
Argh

Post by Argh »

RC7 doesn't really exist online.

It's eventually going to be the Demo, basically the bugs that exist in RC6 are all getting cleaned up (Chickens mission has a big bug, the other two have goofy behaviors that I've fixed, and the bug with Shields and Maxims is now addressed).

If anybody wants to test it for MP balance stuff, let me know, I don't have any problems making it available early, I'm just not going to have time for another roundabout on ModDB.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Ahh, yeah, thats true, it probably wont matter then as long as you have robust singleplayer content.

If you have a way to continue to release updates it wont be a problem to balance it if you ever get a wide active multiplayer playerbase (and its impossible to balance a game until you have that anyway).

The major reason to have balanced multiplayer game is to poach springs current multiplayer playerbase and thats a dead end anyway.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Good luck.. and Stardock.. the same Stardock that brough us Sins of Solar Empires? Maybee you even don┬┤t need luck, just use one of that giant bots and stomp the Rivals into the ground.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

just dont tell them you can download an almost identical build for free ^_^
Argh

Post by Argh »

The demo, which is basically RC7, is also free. It's like RC6's full install, but polished / bugfixed, basically.

So, if all you want to do is play a very basic version of the game either online or with bots, you can do that without paying anything. You get a full SP campaign in the version you buy, among other things, though.

And you won't be able to play with regular players after the first content upgrade, where we start putting Sea into the game.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Until they get a community sea pack! It won't look the same but it'll play the same.

I do hope you get plenty of people buying, especially for the campaign.
smoth

Post by smoth »

it would be neat, I still think you will net more return with missions but that is if you can swing the support properly. I am sure it will be a hair pulling experience.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Until they get a community sea pack! It won't look the same but it'll play the same.
People are welcome to do that, if they want to. I don't really have a problem with that at all, so long as it doesn't involve breaking the EULA on the content files.

I just don't think it'll matter until the game's not being actively maintained and upgraded, frankly. I doubt if anybody will bother until the final unit mix is in place, and balance is settled.

And if that's happened, it means I'm no longer making much money, so why should I be annoyed, if people make a version with the Demo that is free and 100% legal? I can't see the sense in that, it's just like worrying about piracy. It involves stuff I can't control and that won't make much of a difference in the economics of it all anyhow.
lurker

Post by lurker »

It would be nice if said community pack didn't have to have a misleading name to sync in the lobby, but on the bright side it'll disrupt any instances of normal pure in the torrent system.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

imo games nowadays sell because of a solid MP experience or an amazing single player if people cant get a good MP game then i doubt theyd buy the game for mediocre (compared to commercial titles )single player content.

And lets put this into perspective not trying to be flamey but i really doubt you can put together a good strong SP campaign that is comparable to Commercial RTS's (with FMV's etc). So MP is a big selling point.

Heck SC2 is being released in 3 bits but you can play full MP with one copy. Unless they add new units in the 2 extensions only the fans will buy the 2nd 2 titles (but its blizzard so its bound to be worth it) if they can get the full blown MP experience already.

Imo you got a better chance of giving a solid MP experience than a amazing SP campaign. Something planetwars style would be cool, and could be a potential selling point
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Otherside wrote:Imo you got a better chance of giving a solid MP experience than a amazing SP campaign.
IMO you're dead wrong. Especially for a low profile title.

Also, multiplayer will be there. So ha! Unless you suggest Argh spend five years polishing the balance, which would be even more counterproductive, since balance is the hot air high horse of pseudo-modders who can't anything beside tweaking stats sheet.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

note i said solid not perfectly balanced :p
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

zwzsg wrote:
Otherside wrote:Imo you got a better chance of giving a solid MP experience than a amazing SP campaign.
IMO you're dead wrong. Especially for a low profile title.

Also, multiplayer will be there. So ha! Unless you suggest Argh spend five years polishing the balance, which would be even more counterproductive, since balance is the hot air high horse of pseudo-modders who can't anything beside tweaking stats sheet.
+1 and Damn right
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Otherside wrote:imo games nowadays sell because of a solid MP experience or an amazing single player if people cant get a good MP game then i doubt theyd buy the game for mediocre (compared to commercial titles )single player content.

And lets put this into perspective not trying to be flamey but i really doubt you can put together a good strong SP campaign that is comparable to Commercial RTS's (with FMV's etc). So MP is a big selling point.

Heck SC2 is being released in 3 bits but you can play full MP with one copy. Unless they add new units in the 2 extensions only the fans will buy the 2nd 2 titles (but its blizzard so its bound to be worth it) if they can get the full blown MP experience already.

Imo you got a better chance of giving a solid MP experience than a amazing SP campaign. Something planetwars style would be cool, and could be a potential selling point
iirc, Blizzard has already stated that the second 2 games will each add units to every faction.

We're all going to be buying all 3.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Prrth.

Pirate Bay first, at least, to see if the hype is actually worth it (you just KNOW they're going to set the prices up on each game to stupid levels)
Gota

Post by Gota »

Pxtl wrote:
Otherside wrote:imo games nowadays sell because of a solid MP experience or an amazing single player if people cant get a good MP game then i doubt theyd buy the game for mediocre (compared to commercial titles )single player content.

iirc, Blizzard has already stated that the second 2 games will each add units to every faction.

We're all going to be buying all 3.
So true...
This is fail for the MP community cause it will take tons of time until the balance is stable.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Well, I'm sure Blizzard knows that, and also knows that it's irrelevant to them. After all, they'll have literally hundreds of thousands of MP playtesters. Personally, I think that P.U.R.E. has several nagging issues in the current balance, but considering it isn't even really feature-complete in some ways, and that I intend to add new units into the mix over time, I'm not sweating it a lot. The main thing is delivering a solid SP experience to people, and I think we'll be OK on that front, although it's a lot of work and I'm sure that we'll have a lot of difficulties doing QA at the very end. Just how it goes though.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

SC before brood war, GOTA.

Going on the history, StarCraft expansions are very good for balance. Essentially Bliz can use these as funded balance patches.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Yeah. It's not like people won't buy it, unless the first game really sucks. And I really doubt it. There are probably thousands of people who're preordering all three.

Return to “Argh's Projects”