P.U.R.E. has gone Commercial. - Page 7

P.U.R.E. has gone Commercial.

WolfeGames and projects headed by Argh.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Argh

Re: P.U.R.E. has gone Commercial.

Post by Argh »

That the Demo is free of cost doesn't mean it's free to redistribute. You cannot redistribute my content without my permission.

However, a purely GPL version of the game using CA models or whatnot is entirely legal... so go for it, if you'd like.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Argh wrote:That the Demo is free of cost doesn't mean it's free to redistribute. You cannot redistribute my content without my permission.

However, a purely GPL version of the game using CA models or whatnot is entirely legal... so go for it, if you'd like.
Nah, I'd rather just buy it and stick it on thepiratebay 8)
Argh

Post by Argh »

Go for it, if you'd care to. They're still up until they go to jail, in case you haven't been following the news lately ;)
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Not for another few years.

Is it wrong for one of the people who helped work on this to support Pirate Bay? >_>
Argh

Post by Argh »

So far as I can tell, piracy on video games is just another form of free advertising, paid for by the pirates themselves. FLOZi would probably be helping sales of the game, ultimately. Can't really cry about it.
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

LOL Floz

Also, wtf? Piracy helps video games sales? So the millions the games industry has spent cracking down on piracy is for...?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Conspiracy theorists say anti-piracy measures are a test bed for techniques for governement to control the internet. (For the record I don't believe that.)
smoth

Post by smoth »

so you are restricting the distro of the demo?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Also, wtf? Piracy helps video games sales? So the millions the games industry has spent cracking down on piracy is for...?
Personally, I think it's a waste of money. They never seem to shut down the crooks, and in the end it just gives them a bad rep.
so you are restricting the distro of the demo?
Yes. You may distribute the source under the GPL, which includes World Builder- there's a download link before this. The demo has been under my EULA ever since I put the source under GPL. Only authorized sites will be given it to distribute. Normal practice, for a commercial title.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I mean as a solid package, the way you have it worded above sounds like people cannot freely pass the file around for others to check out... why am I posting here... ffffffff
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Let's open the MERC_SQUAD.sdz that I found in my /mods/, and behold what do I see? a License Notice.txt with:

Code: Select all

All contents of this Game are Copyright (C) 2008 Greg Wolfe, Wolfe Games.
You may contact the Author at wolfe.greg@gmail.com.
Let's open PURE_CORE_RC6.sdz : it has a legal.txt with

Legal.

P.U.R.E. Core.  (C) 2009, Wolfe Games

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA  02110-1301, USA.
Let's open WORLD_BUILDER_CONTENT_RC6.sdz : it has a legal.txt that contains:

Legal.

World Builder 0.8.  (C) 2009, World Builder Group

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA  02110-1301, USA.
I'm no law expert so I don't know what are the implications of being (C) Wolfe Games, (C) World Builder Group, GPL, and free to use, all at once.

By the way, is "World Builder Group" even a real company?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Guessmyname wrote:Not for another few years.

Is it wrong for one of the people who helped work on this to support Pirate Bay? >_>
Not at all.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Let's open the MERC_SQUAD.sdz that I found in my /mods/, and behold what do I see?
You see how things were, before I decided not to fight about the GPL at all, other than content. I can and will respond responsibly to any GPL source requests, of course, and I currently consider Merc Squad's code to be GPL. By all means, feel free to use it for whatever you like.
I'm no law expert so I don't know what are the implications of being (C) Wolfe Games, (C) World Builder Group, GPL, and free to use, all at once.
1. Everything that's GPL is (C) the owners. It's part of how the GPL works, except when that has been made PD in advance.

Read Trepan's Lua sometime- it's all (C) and then his real name. Same with a lot of other GPL source.

2. The "World Builder Group" is just a generic name I've used to denote everybody whose work is being distributed.

It's not a company, it's just a umbrella name, like the names on other big GPL projects. For example, Spring's own GPL notice doesn't say the group that it's registered to, which it should (according to the GPL's page).

In short, it's all legally kosher, I believe. The GPL doesn't require that I preserve the names of contributors, btw. But if you get the Demo, you'll see that every single modeler's handle here is mentioned in the Credits.

Now I need to get going, and do the rest of the things I need to get done tonight. If anybody has further questions, let me know. I'll answer them before I leave this place for good.
Argh

Post by Argh »

I just wanted to announce that I'm officially gone. The game's selling, and I've dealt with the last issues.

I'll be lurking occasionally over the next week, but other than Developer stuff, I'm out. Been waiting for this day for quite awhile now. It's like removing a lead coat.

Please lock this thread when you see this, Moderators. It's served its purpose. If anybody has anything really serious to say, you can either say it there, PM me here, or email me- take your pick.

I have a new forum. I will be continuing to add new things to World Buiilder there, by myself, until like-minded people want to join me. I suspect it won't take that long.
Last edited by Argh on 16 May 2009, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
lurker

Post by lurker »

I could lock it, sure, but then someone would have to make a new thread. Is that necessary?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Why would anybody make a new thread? There's nothing new to say here. Just the usual, and it'll be a waste of time since I won't be replying anyhow.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Why would anyone want to discuss pure at all?
If you say so.

Return to “Argh's Projects”