Argh

P.U.R.E. RC5.3

Post by Argh »

RC5.3, fixes GLSL crash. Get it here:

http://www.wolfegames.com/PURE_RC53_PATCH.zip

Main Installer:

http://www.moddb.com/games/pure/downloads

Changelog:

1. Major fixes for serious bugs in RC5. GLSL errors should now result in the realtime-lighting shader being removed. Infinite-troopers bugs fixed. Major exploit with Advance Base fixed (thankfully before anybody noticed).

2. Many minor Lua error-spam bugs found and fixed.

3. Air rebalance. Air costs more Materials, Resistance Fighter has a laser weapon and its missile has a wider engagement cone, making it more effective for its cost. We do not know if these changes make Air un-viable, for either side, please let us know.

4. Resistance Biketank's mine is now a "minefield", which attacks everything within a short distance. The minefield has 5-15 "mines", which do fairly good damage, ignore buildings (and cause no damage to them), with a low refire rate. Multiple minefields will be very effective at stopping ground attacks. Minefields do not decloak cloaked units, so cloaked Assault Shells will pass through, undetected. This may or may not be OP, please let us know.

5. Options menu added to the game. Lets users turn music on/off, adjust sound volumes, and other things. Pretty basic atm, but it works.

6. SP missions all work again.

7. Chickens improved a bit; cured a few error-spam causing things. I really suggest trying the Chickens variant, to teach yourselves how to play, it's a lot more interesting than RAI.

8. Going to Tier Two costs 1000 Materials. This is a major change, so please let us know how well it's working. We wanted to slow down the rush to Tier Two a bit.

9. Overmind RocketTank has had the AOE reduced considerably. No change to damage or range.

10. Resistance Biketank Mortar Variant AOE halved, damage tripled except against buildings. May be OP at this point, we're not sure.

11. Overall installer size has dropped again, due to more optimization of music and graphics. Now around 200MB for the bare-bones, dropped 70MB. This is as small as it's getting, enjoy it while it lasts ;)

12. We will no longer be supporting the preinstall version.

13. From here on out, maps will be versioned if they are changed.

14. Resistance Heavy Troopers buffed on ground, de-buffed in air. Cannot land if in the air, must be transformed.

15. MegaFusion buffed considerably. Now outputs 5000 Power. Has 3000 hitpoints, up from 1000.

16. LightMech Standard Variant's missile and gun got small buffs.

17. Resistance Snipers and Grenadiers build in squads of 5 now. Costs are a bit lower, but buildtime has gone up. No other changes to their weapons, etc.

18. All official maps were recompiled using the modified Mother's MapConv and nvdxt. I have no idea whether this will help users out who are having specific problems with those maps out, or not(my feeling is that ATi users are just hosed by the wide use of decals on World Builder maps, which I can't fix) but I thought I'd try.

As you can probably see, this is a very large changelog. Short of some sort of massive problem (fingers crossed on that one), this is it for awhile.
Last edited by Argh on 26 Mar 2009, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
thesleepless

Re: P.U.R.E. RC5.2

Post by thesleepless »

downloading now, will let you know whether or not this fixes the resistance building bug
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Can't download from that link, probably as my net sucks, will download when other links are up or when that link works for me.

Good job on getting the download smaller, will help quite a bit :D

A question -> what AI's work? My net is too bad to play online :(
thesleepless

Post by thesleepless »

just tested, resistance building still freezes =(

error = 2, LuaRules/draw.lua, error = 2, LuaGadgets/gadgets.lua, [string "LuaRules/Gadgets/glsl_lighting.lua"]:43: attempt to call field 'CreateShader' (a nil value)

still getting this error.
emmanuel

Post by emmanuel »

Hi. Argh, I looked your mod. Here are my comments. Please do not take offense, this is critique, not meant to make you feel bad :-)

1. This game design doesn't make any sense to me. I could open up your mod , but that would be too much work-

2. You need to learn how to design, if you're going to make a good Spring mod. It is very clear that one or more of the units in the mod is very poorly designed, because it is causing 100% repulsion. This is not your fault, if I have read your previous posts correctly- it appears you have never learned how to design. You must learn, or your mod will be totally unplayable, as it is now.

3. You do not credit all of the teachers whose knowelge you are using. This is very rude. You probably do not realise how rude that is, so I'm telling you now. Making unit design them is a lot of work. Give credit to the people who made the knowelge you are using.

4. The models and artwork need a lot more work. There is no common visual theme, and everything feels like you just borrowed from a dozen different mods and threw it all together. This is OK for a beginner project, but if you want to be taken seriously, you need to make the art look much more professional. People will not play your game if it doesn't look good!

Overall, I found the mod totally unplayable at this time. You are clearly trying very hard to make this mod, and while I appreciate the time and effort you have put into this, you need to learn a lot more of the technical skills needed to make it work better.

Before you get mad at me, go download the first versions of builderwar. They were terrible, but I have learned from my mistakes, and it keeps getting better and better. It's very hard, when you are making a game design that's not the same as anybody else's. I understand your struggle. But what you've made needs a lot more work before it will be playable.[/quote]
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

argh, you should see to recruiting another member into your team to deal with the balance and gameplay work for you (like nemo in s44) because while I love your artwork and models, fun unit balance and game mechanics are an entirely diffrent ballgame (I remember a few versions back where units had 10000000000000000 hp... :P )
emmanuel

Post by emmanuel »

since im look in forum ,argh is for me the model of the modder ,than do evry thing hisself ,and before the others ,
4years after ,i dont feel to have the half of his skill (when i seed his work for first time ):
all these quality and so many time spent ...
what wrong ?
seems mr argh have a probleme about proportions:
scaling to giant tall not change that unit look a droid SW and not a mechwarrior ...
blindax is cubic ,
tank are flated cube ...
mr argh prefere triangular tank ...
ok :
that look more half life ,war of the world ,unreal serie :
its a taste ,
but it seems public(end user) are straight :
mecanical need dont be confused with human;

ok :he made for itself : its like a teacher : he is good for us!

what i actually totally not understand (related to his heavy tecnical skill) is :
why he release a (boring that not honor his great work)video trailer ,that show a tall walker shooting ground without sight elevation with his massives arms ...!?!
obivously its not a bug or a misstake :
its fully volontar to write a script and make a movie where the turet dont have elevation ,
but why this turet need direction and why the model need to move his legs and dont surf ?
please explain to me and at the world yur concepts about weapon that folow direction of the target and not elevation ;
if that was nano i will understand the dificulty but weapon can be scripted accuratly : yu need a tuorial : i dont think so : im very surprised ;
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

emmanuel wrote:Hi. Argh, I looked your mod. Here are my comments. Please do not take offense, this is critique, not meant to make you feel bad :-)

1. This game design doesn't make any sense to me. I could open up your mod , but that would be too much work-

2. You need to learn how to design, if you're going to make a good Spring mod. It is very clear that one or more of the units in the mod is very poorly designed, because it is causing 100% repulsion. This is not your fault, if I have read your previous posts correctly- it appears you have never learned how to design. You must learn, or your mod will be totally unplayable, as it is now.

3. You do not credit all of the teachers whose knowelge you are using. This is very rude. You probably do not realise how rude that is, so I'm telling you now. Making unit design them is a lot of work. Give credit to the people who made the knowelge you are using.

4. The models and artwork need a lot more work. There is no common visual theme, and everything feels like you just borrowed from a dozen different mods and threw it all together. This is OK for a beginner project, but if you want to be taken seriously, you need to make the art look much more professional. People will not play your game if it doesn't look good!

Overall, I found the mod totally unplayable at this time. You are clearly trying very hard to make this mod, and while I appreciate the time and effort you have put into this, you need to learn a lot more of the technical skills needed to make it work better.

Before you get mad at me, go download the first versions of builderwar. They were terrible, but I have learned from my mistakes, and it keeps getting better and better. It's very hard, when you are making a game design that's not the same as anybody else's. I understand your struggle. But what you've made needs a lot more work before it will be playable.
LOL@THIS

Also, it seems he can write a bit of proper english but that he just doesn't bother. :lol:
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

he copypasted that from another thread and just swapped it to be reffering to pure :P
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Really?! link me to the thread please :wink:
Argh

Post by Argh »

error = 2, LuaRules/draw.lua, error = 2, LuaGadgets/gadgets.lua, [string "LuaRules/Gadgets/glsl_lighting.lua"]:43: attempt to call field 'CreateShader' (a nil value)
That means it's crashing here:

Code: Select all

GLSL_LIGHT_Shader = gl.CreateShader({
Which it shouldn't be doing at all, unless you're using some truly ancient build of Spring (which is obviously going to not work- it needs 0.7.8.2b). I'll talk to the devs, see what can be done with that. You're a Linux user, yes?

Hmm... just a wild guess... make sure that "reflective units" and "enable LuaShaders support" are on, in your SpringSettings.

If you can't turn either on, I am sorry, but your hardware is not compatible with the minimum requirements for the game.
thesleepless

Post by thesleepless »

Argh wrote:
That means it's crashing here:

Which it shouldn't be doing at all, unless you're using some truly ancient build of Spring (which is obviously going to not work- it needs 0.7.8.2b). I'll talk to the devs, see what can be done with that. You're a Linux user, yes?
running 0.78.2.1
linux yep

i modified the code to

function gadget:Initialize()
	if(gl.CreateShader == nil) then
		Spring.Echo("GLSL Light Shader Failed")
		gadgetHandler:RemoveGadget()
		return false
	end

works now no problems
Argh

Post by Argh »

That doesn't make any sense, but I'll take it.

Patched, and updated all of the main core stuff.
thesleepless

Re: P.U.R.E. RC5.3

Post by thesleepless »

quite an enjoyable game from what i've tried so far, cool atmosphere, beautiful models and textures

now i can give some superficial critique and suggestions
a few graphical problems on geforce 6200:
*roads don't show up at all
*buildings only show up when you zoom in heaps
*tree transparency doesn't work
*difficult to tell when a building is being captured and when it has been captured
*a capturing animation would be nice
*can't tell when units are shooting out of a building? (do they shoot out of buildings?)
*lasers sometimes fire at odd angles while turrets are rotating, they fire as if the unit has already turned
*option to disable voices plz, like all repeated voices they get irritating very quickly
*many of the command icons seem rather unintuitive
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

afaik, roads are gound decals. If you dont' see them it's probably because youv'e disabled ground decals because they used to have a bad bug.
Argh

Post by Argh »

*roads don't show up at all
Can't be fixed if they don't work for you, it's engine-side. As Pxtl said, try turning them back on.
*buildings only show up when you zoom in heaps
That's very odd. Do they show up after units do?
*tree transparency doesn't work
You can't see transparency unless you turn reflectivity on.
*difficult to tell when a building is being captured and when it has been captured
I'll think about ways to improve that.
*a capturing animation would be nice
Not too hard, I'll consider that.
*can't tell when units are shooting out of a building? (do they shoot out of buildings?)
Some units shoot rifles, which are invisible. Goes with the territory.
*lasers sometimes fire at odd angles while turrets are rotating, they fire as if the unit has already turned
This has been reported as an engine bug already.
*option to disable voices plz, like all repeated voices they get irritating very quickly
Either use our in-game options menu to turn that down, or turn it down using SpringSettings.
*many of the command icons seem rather unintuitive
Please be more specific, they're not a sacred cow but I need to know what's not working for you, and why. The Tooltips should help you out most of the time.

GTG for awhile, I'll BBL. Let me know what balance issues, if any, you guys see (be as specific as possible, telling me "everything's broken" is not helpful).
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Absolutely beautiful. Almost makes me regret Emmanuel's being banned again. XD
Argh wrote:Hi. Emmanuel, I tried your mod. Here are my comments. Please do not take offense, this is critique, not meant to make you feel bad :-)

1. This game design doesn't make any sense to me. I don't understand what I'm supposed to build, and the unit descriptions don't help me understand what the units do. I could open up your mod and read through the unit stats, but that would be too much work- write better descriptions, and ask for feedback from players, until it is clear what units do what.

2. You need to learn how to script, if you're going to make a good Spring mod. It is very clear that one or more of the units in the mod is very poorly scripted, because it is causing 100% spikes in processor usage when combat starts. This is not your fault, if I have read your previous posts correctly- it appears you have never learned how to script. You must learn, or your mod will be totally unplayable, as it is now.

3. You do not credit all of the modders whose units you are using. This is very rude. You probably do not realise how rude that is, so I'm telling you now. Making unit models and scripting them is a lot of work. Give credit to the people who made the units and scripts you are using.

Before you get mad at me, go download the first versions of NanoBlobs. They were terrible, but I have learned from my mistakes, and it keeps getting better and better. It's very hard, when you are making a game design that's not the same as anybody else's. I understand your struggle. But what you've made needs a lot more work before it will be playable.
Edit: reply to bottom post:
Okay, sorry.
On topic:
the new resistance biketank seems interesting, I've got to try this once I get back to playing spring!
Last edited by MidKnight on 26 Mar 2009, 20:46, edited 2 times in total.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Please quit derailing my thread.
JLHack7

Post by JLHack7 »

Whatever you did in this new one it worked.
New version works smooth as RC3 did.
I'm gettin 65 FPS lookin over the startpoint.

Awesome job.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Great, so glad to hear that :-)

Return to “Argh's Projects”