Re: P.U.R.E. RC5.3

Post by smoth »

actually it is fuchsia...
Argh

Post by Argh »

It's one of those colors.

OK... spent a lot of time with the new map testing today, made a few changes:

1. Reverted to old heights, old hitspheres. Changing that broke the game in lots of ways- among other things, small hitboxes simply don't register hits.

2. Resistance Biketank Mortar Variant moves and shoots, has a corrected weapon.

3. Sniper Shells now have equal range to Resistance Snipers. Big change, they're actually really dangerous now on defense.

4. Tank attack DPS increased.

5. Laser Tank AA variant has been removed. It was confusing and we've buffed the regular Laser Tank vs. Air instead.

6. Resistance Grenadiers have had their ROF increased to 3 seconds.

7. Megaconstructor's artificial delay before building has been removed, is now roughly on par with Overmind Commander.

8. Ancients now produce a standard amount of Materials or Power. We're not quite done balancing it yet, but something like 5 Materials or 500 Power. No more map-dependent values.

9. In case it wasn't already known, the bugs with the Megaconstructor's behaviors are now fixed; it will not lose a build in the middle, and can assist other builders as normal.

10. Fusion Tank was spotted leaving a factory.

11. UltraAssault will be moved to Tier Two, and tested. Note: it has been buffed since 5.3.

12. Air armor classes are all LIGHT.

The Overlord's rockets will be working on Friday (when we're hoping to release RC6), and it will have a new special attack.

We're pretty happy with the balance atm, there are minor things that still need to be looked at in the Air tree and in terms of Overmind's assault units. We'll see how things stand with the changes made to the Ultraassault when we do QA tests for RC6.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

bright colours like that look luminous and are for highlights normally. Considering the tone of your map, it looks like the mona lisa with neon green stockings.

As pretty as these colours are, they have to be used sparingly for effect. Dont commit sins in map design you criticise others for in unit making!!!
Argh

Post by Argh »

Um, it's a desert. At sunset. Like this:

Problem is, without a cube, it's impossible to generate with Spring's skies atm, because they don't do a gradient, they're just a solid color.

A cube would be better, but I don't have time atm and it's not that important if you're actually playing anyhow.

<edit> Nevermind, I just read the terragen cubemap tutorial, it's so easy I guess I don't have any excuses not to get this done...
Argh

Post by Argh »

A nice solid trench map. Not quite done yet, but you get the idea. Have to finish the crazy thing I'm working on first before I can get back to this.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

your ancient resources would look alot better at about 50% of the size
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Looks awesome!
smoth

Post by smoth »

I could do that sky in spring's sky format.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:your ancient resources would look alot better at about 50% of the size
Visibility > aesthetics.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

You could do it easily in lua too with basic gl calls, just paint over the sky on the infinite and draw in a new sun. A basic tetrahedron with points for each colour you want or just a gradient texture would suffice
Argh

Post by Argh »

You could do it easily in lua too with basic gl calls, just paint over the sky on the infinite and draw in a new sun. A basic tetrahedron with points for each colour you want or just a gradient texture would suffice
It's not quite that simple, tbh. Anything that gets drawn far enough away and early enough in the rendering scheme of things to suffice as a skybox is subject to the map fog, because it's going to be depth-tested and behind the fog.

It's really not that big of a deal to make a skybox and just use what Spring has, though.

And skyboxes perform substantially better than Spring's native sky. It's really surprising what a difference voidwater makes vs. water 1, and what a difference a skybox makes. The resulting reflections don't feel right, though. Dunno what to do about that one. My guess is that I should just use perfectly reflective water planes in Terragen, call it a day.
smoth

Post by smoth »

if you needed skyboxes shoulda fired me a message, I have no issue with making some for people, just that few people ask me.

Not going to have time in the next 5 days but I'll get time it's not that much trouble for me to make some. There are also some pd ones in the mapping forum.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Yeah, I've taken a look at those, some are pretty nice. I'll be giving mine away as well.

We need more that are using sun angles on cardinal directions, I'm very picky about matching up the sun with the boxes if I can.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I can make some with different angles n,s,e,w in the future if you need that.
Argh

Post by Argh »

If you can turn out a few of the ones you've got sitting around at 45's, that would be super. Several of your scenes would be perfect, if the sun angle was close-enough correct (note, it's never truly perfect unless you futz with it endlessly, because the cube's distorted a bit, I tried that and decided it was a terrific way to waste time).

At any rate, I'll post mine when I'm done. I've decided to omit "ground" and just use a reflection, since most of the time ground looks really lousy anyhow and I cut it off at the horizon with my map-border Widget anyhow.
Last edited by Argh on 09 Apr 2009, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I can't do it in the next 5 days but I can look at it after then.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Meh, it's no biggie, I'll have the ones I need done in the next hour or so anyhow.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Still working on this concept map, but you can get the basic idea- using World Builder objects to put particle systems into Spring maps as effects. A still shot doesn't really convey it well- there's a lot of very dynamic stuff going on in this scene, you'll just have to take my word for it.

This scene is rendering at 50FPS (was 80 until I greatly increased the particle load, which I'll probably scale back) on my aging rig with lots and lots of ground decals and particles, due to the changes I've made to certain things to optimize the game engine's performance. I've more than doubled performance on all World Builder maps (and in general, although I've left safe fallback behavior in, so that if you're not playing P.U.R.E. you go back to older settings).

Oh, and here's another shot of one of the completed maps with skybox:
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

It's a nice sky, I like the clouds - but the colour seems a little unnatural, and also doesn't seem to be matching the light of the map?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Its like that in most of your maps argh sky colour is tied inextricably with lighting, if they dont match then you throw up a tonne of sub concious quirks which meddle with suspension of disbelief, and make the map uglier than it is.

Another thing you miss out is map edges. Look at smoths maps. Having a map just stop at the edge doesn't really look nice, even with the effects you've got. Make it ramp up into a hill or something if its a hilly map.

Return to “Argh's Projects”