P.U.R.E. RC5.1 - Page 3

P.U.R.E. RC5.1

WolfeGames and projects headed by Argh.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Argh

Re: P.U.R.E. RC5.1

Post by Argh »

Hopefully the next version has all of the bugs worked out, and maybe users who can't compile the GLSL shader will be able to run the game.

I'm pretty sure that's the cause of the hostile-to-Neutral error. It's causing a general crash of the Gadgets. That's my fault, obviously, and it's fixed.

A GeForce 6800 is barely enough to play the game on low settings, btw.

Recommended system requirements are more like:

GeForce 8800+ with 256MB of texture RAM or higher
1GB RAM or higher
64-bit dual-core CPU
Windows XP Professional / XP 64 / Vista Ultimate

Based on what we've seen, if you're using anything less than my system, which is an Athlon XP2700, 1GB DDR400Mhz, GeForce 7800GS with 256MB of texture RAM running Windows XP Professional, you're not going to have good performance.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Wait, you're saying that we have to run PURE in x64 for optimal performance? :shock:

Or that we should have 64-bit capable CPUs, as a standard of new-ness?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Or that we should have 64-bit capable CPUs, as a standard of new-ness?
That's it, pretty much. Dual-core or better. I have one of the very last AMD single-core chips in my box, and it's great but is barely up to the job, tbh. On Eman's newer machines, both of which are well over a year old and neither of which are ultra-high-end "gamer boxes" by any means... P.U.R.E. runs fast and well.
knorke

Post by knorke »

spring also hangs up for me when i try to build something.
the music still plays and you can move the mouse.
but nothing responds.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Hopefully 5.2 will resolve that one for you guys. I'll be releasing it fairly soon now.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Argh wrote:[EDIT]Wait, I just read that again. You want me to cut the effective output on the current maps by 1/100th? No, I'm not doing that, it would totally ruin the current gameplay.[/EDIT]
Sorry, i obviously meant increasing wth mex extraction rates by 10x.

No change, just makes other maps playable. You are just off by almost exactly a factor of 10...
Argh

Post by Argh »

That change was made, along with a bunch of other things. I'm going to bed, I'll test tomorrow and upload when the UI stuff is done.

New stuff:

1. Lots and lots and lots of bugfixes. No more replicating-guys bugs, I'm pretty sure it's finally gone. Select In Buildings Widget works again. The realtime lighting shader has a safe error event, instead of crashing Gadgets. Lots of small error-spam-causing events, most non-fatal but annoying, fixed.

2. Resistance Snipers and Grenadiers now build in squads of five. Materials cost lowered, total buildtime increased somewhat.

3. Tier Two for land costs 1000, not 500. Means you have to wait a bit longer, unless you're rushing. Still not sure about this one, it's a big change, and we'll just have to see.

4. Overmind Rocket Tank's AOE reduced a lot, so that it's not able to kill infantry early and easily. Should help on Mesa City.

5. LightMech Standard Variant's missile and gun got small buffs. Dunno whether they're truly viable yet, except in bunches. We'll see.

6. Air will cost more Materials, and have a higher Power requirement to operate.

7. Resistance Fighters will get a boost of some kind. Haven't settled on what, yet.

8. UI change- ESC key will bring up a menu, just like most commercial games do, including a QUIT button, a "shut off the music" button, and graphics-quality settings stuff, for new users.

9. MegaConstructor no longer can build the Airbase.

10. MegaFusion buffed a lot. Wasn't really surviving any attacks at all, wasn't really out-producing Fusions for equivalent land area, was basically a waste of buildtime. Fixed, may be OP, dunno yet.

11. Resistance Biketank's dropped mine is now a minefield, that can detonate anywhere from 5-15 times, with medium damage to anything passing through. Will decloak cloaked things. Pretty useful as a general annoyance strat or to counter early rush with. The mines eventually go away, they don't stay around forever, so you can't just permanently litter the battlefield. The unit itself still sucks for most purposes otherwise. May be OP, dunno until people play with it, this is a totally new thing.

12. Resistance BikeTank Mortar Variant will get some buff. Probably will get better damage, lower AOE. Again, this may be OP, I'd like to hear any feelings people have about this one.

13. Resistance Heavy Troopers buffed on ground, de-buffed in the air. When in the air, cannot land until they transform, to avoid certain types of abuse.

14. The installer shrank again. Smaller filesize for all of the content, music shrank considerably, used better compression on the OGGs. IDK what to do about the music volume- that appears to be fixed in the next build of Spring, but it appears to be borked in 0.7.8- Spring.SetSoundStreamVolume() doesn't seem to actually work. Maybe just drop that Widget for now?

I'm hoping that this gets most of the kinks out of the current balance, where a few things still felt a bit rough. Please let me know, if there's anything else that should get fixed before I release the next version of the game, or if any of this seems like it might be too large of a change, I'm open to suggestions.
Pressure Line

Re: P.U.R.E. RC5

Post by Pressure Line »

Pressure Line wrote:Argh, can you make a package of your scripts (and includes) so I can have a look at them w/out downloading hundreds of MB of stuff?
Please?
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Why do you even have the MegaConstructor? It looks like it's just a holdover from when they turned into factories.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Argh wrote:Recommended system requirements are more like:

GeForce 8800+ with 256MB of texture RAM or higher
1GB RAM or higher
64-bit dual-core CPU
Windows XP Professional / XP 64 / Vista Ultimate
This is higher in areas then the recommended specs for Supreme Commander, C&C3 and DoW2 to name some of the most recent spec-pushing RTS games.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

optimization has its advantages
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

heck those specs are on par if not higher than Empire total war

i dont understand why 64 bit is recommended

im currently running 32 bit and probably get some of the best performance out of PURE

id say a nice about of VRAM (512mb +) on your gfx card and a hefty ammount of ram are the most neccesary things

any decent dual core CPU should cope or a good single core CPU should cope fine

PURE's bottleneck is on the graphics side rather than CPU side like for example S44
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

He's not saying that a 64-bit OS is necessary, just that a chip should probably be of the same generation and power-level as 64-bit chips, regardless of whether it actually is 64-bit or not.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

graphics are easy to optimize; smaller textures, less particles etc
bwansy

Post by bwansy »

I tried it in sandbox mode (infinite game) and I liked it very much. It ran smoothly and I didn't encounter any of the problems mentioned in this thread. However, the maps in the package gave me 0.1fps. Yes, that's 10 seconds per frame. Could it be my ATI card, the error in LuaGaia or simply my below-average specs (2GB ram, Core Duo2 2.1GHz)?

P.S. Ion laser tossing the tall robot into the air and killing it is priceless. :lol:
Argh

Post by Argh »

I tried it in sandbox mode (infinite game) and I liked it very much. It ran smoothly and I didn't encounter any of the problems mentioned in this thread. However, the maps in the package gave me 0.1fps. Yes, that's 10 seconds per frame. Could it be my ATI card, the error in LuaGaia or simply my below-average specs (2GB ram, Core Duo2 2.1GHz)?
Now that's interesting. Turn off ground decals, tell me what happens then.

I'm recompiling the maps again, using the newly-fixed version of Mother's MapConv. We'll see if that helps. I really doubt it, because it's using the exact same nvdxt settings I was using, but what the heck, maybe if you use TIF instead of BMP, it borks on ATi cards, or something equally preposterous. Stranger things have happened.
overkill

Post by overkill »

My name is Overkill an i can run P.U.R.E. fine.

Specs:
*9500gt 1gig edition.
*Q8200 quad core proc @ 2.33ghz
*6 gigs of ddr2 800 ram
*Vista 64

I average around around 100fps on low. this is very smooth, not so pretty. I cannot use higher settings because spring wont load up (It used to before the latest update).

This card is a tad better than a 8600gt which is a little better than a 7600gt. given the lee-way at 100fps on low settings i would say a 7600gt would manage finely.

Maybe the Gig of vram on my card helps, i doubt it due to the fact it has a low memory bus (128bit iirc) and its generally not the fastest chip around.

My suggested minimum specs:

* nvidia 7600gt or better. (ati cards not recommended due to poor ogl support)
* P4 2.8ghz or higher (based off my old comp which worked with spring fine 'till my gfx died)
*1g of ram (again based on my old comp)
Argh

Post by Argh »

So, we have a clear pattern here:

1. People with ATi cards aren't running the game well.

2. People who can't compile the GLSL shaders seem to have crashes.

5.2 will have recompiled maps, the GLSL Gadget will terminate if it doesn't compile, I've reduced the texture RAM requirements to a very small bare minimum- even 128MB cards should, in theory, be able to run the game, albeit poorly (seriously!).

However, I don't know if this will really take care of everybody's performance issues. This is really an unusual situation, and I'm pretty sure that we're looking at things that are engine-side. We just won't know until the GLSL is disabled.

All tests on nVidia hardware, all tests on 5 machines here... have been fine, the game runs just fine. Eman's main rig has two nVidia 7600's in it (SLi is enabled, and seems to work), the laptop we've tested on has a 8600, I have a 7800, I've tested at my folks' with a 9800GT, I've tested elsewhere on a 8800. All have run the game beautifully, the only time we see bad performance is when the CPU chugs during really heavy events.

Return to “Argh's Projects”