P.U.R.E. RC4.2 - Page 8

P.U.R.E. RC4.2

WolfeGames and projects headed by Argh.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

lurker

Re: P.U.R.E. RC4.1

Post by lurker »

Argh, have you tested the next spring's playing from in an archive? Because I'm getting hard crashes on music from both my custom build and the main buildbot version.

But with several hours of work, other than that crash, I do now have a 78.2+
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

lurker wrote:Argh, have you tested the next spring's playing from in an archive? Because I'm getting hard crashes on music from both my custom build and the main buildbot version.

Oh, its from inside archive? which mod has that already?
lurker

Post by lurker »

No, it's not, just wondered if he had tested it, and by extension, music playing in general, on those builds. And since you logged off the lobby, I did test on xp32, also crashes horribly there, from outside the archive in both evo and pure.

Or maybe I should say it crashes awesomely; two threads segfaulting at once is kind of cool.

I wonder why only the detail textures work on the maps on my old ati, making them a solid color. It doesn't matter what mod I load.
thesleepless

Post by thesleepless »

Eman wrote:Any chance you are using an older ATI card?
Nope, GeForce 6200
Ironfire

Post by Ironfire »

does the resistance multi-role fighter shoot anything?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Argh, have you tested the next spring's playing from in an archive? Because I'm getting hard crashes on music from both my custom build and the main buildbot version.

A link would be nice, if I'm going to test it.
Argh

Post by Argh »

I have found (and squashed) a crash bug. Download an updated PURE_CORE.sdz from here to fix it:

http://www.wolfegames.com/PURE_CORE.sdz

In other news, I think that the official rollout will be tomorrow or early Tuesday, as soon as I can get the builds set up again, so 4.1 is being taken down. I will let people know when 4.2 (or 4.3, if I can get a certain feature working by early tomorrow) will become available, and at that point, we're going to finally get to do various PR things.

I think it's cool that nearly 700 people have downloaded the game thus far, without even a bit of real publicity though, that bodes well :-)
1v0ry_k1ng

Re: P.U.R.E. RC4.2

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

number of downloads is a very decieving value on which to judge sucsess

for example

XTA 9.56
Number of Downloads: 6746
number of people who play it: about 20

I have three versions of pure knocking around my machines and all I did was fire up the single player and quit when I saw how slow all the units moved and built (that was an older version, dont know if you sped things up)
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

i think its time you get an autoupdater these huge downloads are a joke
;(

also give new version numbers when releasing

mass desync b4 game atm cos of people with different versions but same mod name
Eman

Post by Eman »

Agreed on the auto updater.

A survey question of sorts - how many people have actually played PURE RC4 multiplayer?

*edited reflecting AF post*
Last edited by Eman on 16 Mar 2009, 14:56, edited 2 times in total.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

i got 2-3 games

they basically went like this

MEX Spam

Resistance going OP big mech

Overmind countering with rolley flame assault shell

SPAM SPAM SPAM

the end
Eman

Post by Eman »

I'd like to see that.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Proper use of the modtags and adherence to this by lobbys bots and clients would prevent this by making it clear the game "PURE" at version "3" is not the same as the game "PURE" at version "4"

But I agree until the developers correct the flaw, it should be changed in PURE in the next build. I would go as far as saying that the 'stable' build should be called RC5 instead to make it sufficiently different.
Argh

Post by Argh »

number of downloads is a very decieving value on which to judge sucsess
Depends on whether you're judging "success" by the number of people playing online or not.
i got 2-3 games
With who? On an official map? And where's a replay?
i think its time you get an autoupdater these huge downloads are a joke
What huge download? It's like 6MB...
does the resistance multi-role fighter shoot anything?
It shoots down other aircraft. The description wasn't changed. I'll correct that before the launch.
I have three versions of pure knocking around my machines and all I did was fire up the single player and quit when I saw how slow all the units moved and built (that was an older version, dont know if you sped things up)
1. Building speeds went up considerably.
2. Movement speeds were, and are, actually faster than practically anything in *A games.
3. I think you'll find that the balance is a lot better, too.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

nope ive had to download PURE on 3 seperate occasions (the whole thing) because it just would not sync

also the games ive had are on official maps hence i said mex spam with the absurd metal values
Argh

Post by Argh »

Send us a replay if you have one, we'd like to see all of this :-)
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

we'd ?
lurker

Post by lurker »

Argh wrote:A link would be nice, if I'm going to test it.
I see you in #buildserv all the time...
AF wrote:Proper use of the modtags and adherence to this by lobbys bots and clients would prevent this by making it clear the game "PURE" at version "3" is not the same as the game "PURE" at version "4"
I'm not sure what you mean. Unitsync automatically appends the version to the mod name if it's not already there.
Argh

Post by Argh »

We'd, indeed.
I see you in #buildserv all the time...
Oh, so you just mean, test the current release branch. Sorry, I thought you meant you were building something privately. Ok... any special stuff I need to use when !rebuilding, or just grab the latest compile? Also, is that going to work in the Lobby, or just on the test server?

In other news, I'm getting done with the following changes:

1. Better support for automatic entry of the Resistance bunkers.

2. Rebal on the MultiTrucks, they're OP atm for certain rush strats. Thanks to all of the testers who played online enough to point that out.

3. More bugfixes which will (hopefully) address the crashes due to sounds and certain events, now that we have a slight clue what's going on.

4. BikeTanks will see a smallish buff on hitpoints, mortar variant will get a very small buff on damage output, the mine special will finally be fixed to act properly. Expect the BikeTanks to be an interesting defensive strat during an opening play on rush maps.

5. The UI will be enlarged as requested.

That's pretty much it.

Now that I know what's entailed, it will unfortunately be a large release again. Sorry, it's just how it goes, I'm going to have to make certain content changes to World Builder stuff, and that's all one big archive, I haven't bothered packing it into a core / content module yet, as that's rather premature atm. I'll spend extra time on QA, though, so that I can just leave it alone for a week or two.

I may get around to releasing a fourth official map this week, idk yet, kinda busy.

I'm also trying various texture-compression things, to see if I can get the same quality but maybe smaller filesizes (and maybe better compatibility).

Thus far, it's not working out. The quality difference between DDS 8888 and anything else is readily apparent, due to Spring's poor handling of automated mipmap generation, and the performance difference is non-existent- I'd be trading a much uglier game that performs the same for a prettier one that's a bigger download, basically. I'll keep looking at options.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

By the sound of things Argh and Eman think pure has reasonable balance and everyone else who's played it doesn't. I think we need some 1v1s so Argh can either see how we're doing it wrong or get some useful feedback if it turns out we aren't.

Return to “Argh's Projects”