WolfeGames and projects headed by Argh.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Argh

P.U.R.E. RC4.2

Post by Argh »

Get it here:

http://www.moddb.com/games/pure/downloads

Or, for faster bandwidth, get it here:

On Forboding Angel's site, he has generously provided bandwidth.

AF has also graciously uploaded the game to the following location.

Then apply the following patch, which corrects a crash bug:

http://www.wolfegames.com/PURE_CORE.sdz

More mirrors, and registration on the torrent system would be a good idea, I'm going to spend tomorrow making the formal release announcement and sending out press releases, now that the game seems to be actually ready. If anybody finds show-stopping bugs, please let us know ASAP.

Chicken Defense is available for P.U.R.E., it's pretty much bug-free other than some texture errors at the start:

To try it out, get the "bare bones" release, install it, and install the following: link.
Last edited by Argh on 16 Mar 2009, 09:18, edited 8 times in total.
imbaczek

Re: P.U.R.E. RC4 Release

Post by imbaczek »

350MB! omigawd. that's a lot for a team of, lemme count, 3 people? even if 80% of that is music. gratz.
smoth

Post by smoth »

you delete all my posts on moddb >:|
Argh

Post by Argh »

@imbazcek: Only about 100MB is music. The rest of it's content for the game- World Builder accounts for quite a lot of the increase, and this time the maps are in the bare-bones, because it's pretty much made for the maps, although it's playable on *A-theme maps.

@Smoth: You aren't "just a gamer" when you post over there, you're a fellow game developer running a ModDB project that's also tied to Spring. Step carefully, the rules are a little different. Act like it's a business meeting, or somewhere else where you're expected to pull for Spring in general, and not bring our personal crap into the realm.

The only things you posted there were negative in tone, and generally were downer posts, tbh. You need to work on being more supportive.

I guess I just broke the "not answering" bit, but meh, that's something that needed to be addressed I suppose... given how rowdy it appears the Forum's been the last few days. I guess I've missed a bunch of the usual :roll:
smoth

Post by smoth »

Didn't think they were. I am kinda a negative person so my way of talking is pretty negative. Will try and be a bit better on the next time I post.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Attachments
argh.JPG
(18.76 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

BaNa wrote:blah blah
Trollity troll?

Hmm well, I like the new units, especially the big robot thing, however resistance really needs a superunit too!

dling....
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Argh wrote:Step carefully, the rules are a little different.

The only things you posted there were negative in tone, and generally were downer posts, tbh. You need to work on being more supportive.
That doesn't make me want to post in Argh controlled forum.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

like... rusty the clown is very fond of all that rust?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Well, at least I don't take six months to get one lousy trike done ;)

On a serious note, I'm going over to DRB's, we'll play some games online. Dunno whether anybody will have it and be able to join us any time soon, as we all know that my bandwidth's a bit... sloooow. I guess I'll post another update when the ModDB stuff is approved.

I'm going to try and get a training video made as well- the manual's... short, and kinda assumes that people aren't idiots.
tombom

Post by tombom »

Argh wrote:Act like it's a business meeting, or somewhere else where you're expected to pull for Spring in general, and not bring our personal crap into the realm.

This does not sound like a good thing. I can understand not wanting awful quality tripe, but deleting posts that are "negative in tone" and saying people need to "work on being more supportive" doesn't sound good- like avoiding criticism. I dunno.
Last edited by tombom on 09 Mar 2009, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

Code: Select all

4% [====>                                                                                                                ] 17.767.052  3,83K/s  ETA 21h 46m
Is it just me?
Eman

Post by Eman »

On the other hand, you could just read the main PURE post all the way through and it will convince you of why he doesn't want to deal with these forums - and maybe why he said what he did to Smoth. I'd bet you a million dollars you can post any actual criticism you want and it doesn't get deleted.

*Aus - no, 17% myself.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

How could we reclaim the million dollar if the post of proof get deleted?
Eman

Post by Eman »

Hmm. Kinda hard since I don't have it. Even all my organs wouldn't cover that bet. Ok, I'll buy you a pizza through one of the online ordering services. A more fair bet?

A screenshot is pretty easy.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Hey, any constructive critique (i.e., bring me solutions, not just problems, phrase it in a way that's supportive) is entirely kosher, even if you basically say to me, "the entire game sucks".

There are plenty of posts like that on ModDB. I don't go around with a fire-axe making myself look good.

However, that's not how things work around here, and since I can't moderate my release threads, I'm going to do that where I can deal with the issues myself.

Moreover, every other major game project for this engine has a Forum off-site... which they moderate... so I'm not exactly trend-setting here. I doubt if FLOZi and SpikedHelmet would let you troll the S'44 forums. I know Smoth won't let you troll in his domain. I'm sure WZ and Gnome would have issues if you came to the IW forums and started acting retarded. Nothing really mysterious about it- we're trying to build games, and it's hard to do that when people are constantly trying to tear you down.

I told people how I felt after I released Merc Squad, and nothing changed. It's the same story as with everything serious around here- the people in charge aren't affected by the atmosphere of the Forums, so they're generally blind about what's going on, and how shitty it is to run a project in the limelight here. And since it's contributing almost zero to my audience... why should I put up with it at all?

Not giving moderator powers to people who make the games + lack of respect + free-speech rules that favor trolls + moderators who seem half-blind when it's me = me not wanting to bother any more.

If you don't like the prospect of dealing with a Dictatorship of Argh, that's entirely OK with me, and I respect your low opinion of my discretion, even if I disagree with it. But that's why this is happening. I mean... look at this thread, people. I just gave you a free video game. More than half the posts are trolling, or are about stuff that's irrelevant to whether the game's any good. Why should I want to participate in this?
smoth

Post by smoth »

to be fair, argh should be able to delete the bullshit posts people make in his thread/mod area. I don't think it is fair to expect him to weather the trolling that many content devs receive here. Not that I don't prod him or vice versa, yeah I remember that remark in the developers forum buddy and I know what you really think of me from it. However, I still think he should have the ability to do some amounts of damage control. Not saying he won't abuse it but like him or not he has a point guys.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Meh, as many times as we've fought, man, I'd give the same power to you in a heartbeat. It's just common sense.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Eman wrote:Hmm. Kinda hard since I don't have it. Even all my organs wouldn't cover that bet. Ok, I'll buy you a pizza through one of the online ordering services. A more fair bet?

A screenshot is pretty easy.
I hear Ireland has excellent pizza delivery services.
smoth

Post by smoth »

precisely, lets face it you as a content developer, doing good or bad, the perspective of others is moot. You need to be able to control your project discussion because players can get ugly about shit fast.

Return to “Argh's Projects”