P.U.R.E. RC4.2 - Page 6

P.U.R.E. RC4.2

WolfeGames and projects headed by Argh.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Hoi

Re: P.U.R.E. RC4.1

Post by Hoi »

Spacebugs from nota or chickens from CA?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Chickens from CA. I haven't seen Space Bugs- if that uses different models, that could be fun. Might even do a NanoBlobs variant.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

NOTA's is different. Think Starship Troopers style, and you'll get the right idea.

Actually, it would be pretty awesome to play Resistance vs Bugs. It'd be like recreating the Starship Troopers series in an IP-free environment...

*drools*
Argh

Post by Argh »

Actually, it would be pretty awesome to play Resistance vs Bugs. It'd be like recreating the Starship Troopers series in an IP-free environment...
I can tell you right now, the Chickens already feel that way. It's pretty awesome. I'm still working on it, so be patient, this may take another hour or so.
the great zamboni

Post by the great zamboni »

lol i just started a normal game on unpleasentville with rai, but the duck men were there before I even pressed ready. The duckies only appeared at a certain zoom level, if i zoomed out more the whole map was.. like a orangish color. but whatever, my video card (ati mobility radeon x300) has always made things.. difficult for spring (icons looking like what you get when there is no signal on a tv, snow you know?). If anybody could direct me to a fix to that, much graciaso. All your other maps load fine though. I laughed like crazy when the duckmen appeared.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Hmm. Sounds like you ran out of texture memory or something. The duck's bizzaro, though, that's not anywhere in the game assets. Glad to hear that the other maps load OK.
the great zamboni

Post by the great zamboni »

I don't suppose you have any texture memory on you perchance?
Argh

Post by Argh »

lol, I wish. Meh, that's something that I may have to deal with. IDK whether forcing lower mip levels (IIRC, there's a setting for Spring that can do this, it's just not in Settings.exe) would help, though.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Or maybe PURE has minimum requirements?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Chicken Defense Alpha 1 built. Seems bug-free in SP testing, other than one bug with customcommands which can be ignored safely for now (yes, I'll fix that). Dunno what will happen in MP.

To try it out:
http://www.wolfegames.com/PURE_ChickenDefense.sdd.zip
thesleepless

Post by thesleepless »

RC4.1 hangs on me when i try to build something, RC3 worked fine.

I order my constructor to build a mine or power plant it begins building and about a second later it freezes and spring just infinite loops until i -KILL it.

any idea what would be causing that?

running on linux here
Argh

Post by Argh »

Hmm. What happens if you /give the Unit? Try /give miner, tell me what happens.

Also, I almost have the final Chicken Defense stuff done. It's fairly dangerous at this point, should give multiple players a decent experience.
PURE_ChickenDefense.zip
(4.27 MiB) Downloaded 80 times
Last edited by Argh on 13 Mar 2009, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.
panzeriv2

Post by panzeriv2 »

I'm still getting this weird error on maps:

The UI is still absent. And a few seconds after I start the game it hangs.

My specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2200+ 1.8GHz
ATi Radeon X1050/9550
1.99GB RAM
Argh

Post by Argh »

You're using an ATi card. Does every other game in Spring work just fine but this one?
panzeriv2

Post by panzeriv2 »

All other Spring games except PURE and S44(in which the icons dissapear).
lurker

Post by lurker »

the great zamboni wrote:(icons looking like what you get when there is no signal on a tv, snow you know?)
Those aren't icons. Turn up the unit lod distance to be larger than the icon distance. (Misnamed as unit detail in settings)

Unless you actually do have broken icons, in which case :(
Argh

Post by Argh »

IDK if I can resolve that for you. You have a fairly old ATi card. This seems to be a pattern here.

I just read up on your card- you have really low texture RAM by today's standards, unless you bought the highest-end version of this card. 128MB of VRAM is not sufficient to run most modern games, or if it can, it will run them very poorly.

Spring doesn't have any features to lower the mip details (i.e., lower texture quality before a gamestate starts) atm, which is a big problem for users like you. ATi cards don't seem to handle this issue very well vs. nVidia cards in the same generation (my geForce 7800, while slow compared to DRB's hardware, can run the game).

Basically, this game may not be playable for you. My rig's about at the bottom end of the spec, and I have a faster CPU and a better video card.

You may want to play around with your driver settings, see if you can find any resolution, but I can't really guarantee anything, and given your settings, you're probably playing BA on near-minimum settings anyhow.

I'll talk to the devs about this, see if I can get someone excited about making a new feature that will allow for the next mip level down to be used (or lower) for people who are experiencing serious performance problems or want to run games like this on old hardware. There isn't any reason why it shouldn't be possible to run it, if you're willing to live with ugly graphics.
lurker

Post by lurker »

It's possible to release a version with half-sized textures if you're clever about it.
panzeriv2

Post by panzeriv2 »

I play CA on Medium settings though.
Argh

Post by Argh »

It's possible to release a version with half-sized textures if you're clever about it.
Maybe, but I'm not sure I can justify the time and screwing-around wasted on this. Sorry, deadlines and all. Maybe when I'm done with the SP experience.
I play CA on Medium settings though.
CA isn't even roughly equivalent. They still have a lot of old models in the game, last time I looked. They don't have World Builder. They don't have anything like the typical unit-count. It's like comparing a tiny one-pound hammer with a sledgehammer, tbh.

Texture RAM is texture RAM. I'm not doing anything special here, 8:8:8:8 DDS files should be functionally identical to PNG or TGAs, and load faster. Spring treats them the same, only with PNG or TGA, it makes the mips itself, instead of being pre-processed, which is quite slow.

The only way to really cut things down and keep at the same sizes is to use DXT3/5, and that causes a lot of compression artifacts, or to halve the size of the skins, which means a lot of details will get obliterated.

Return to “Argh's Projects”