P.U.R.E. RC4.2 - Page 3

P.U.R.E. RC4.2

WolfeGames and projects headed by Argh.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Google_Frog

Re: P.U.R.E. RC4 Release

Post by Google_Frog »

How does defence ranges change the game? The alternative is to draw lines on the map after hovering a blueprint over the enemies turret. Not having it is noob-unfriendly and just extra repetitive tasks.

I think you should have a widget that automatically sets the minimap size and position to the size and position it was in last game.

Anyway here's a few widgets that should be pure enough for you
Attachments
widget pack.zip
(29.78 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Otherside

Post by Otherside »

The icons for units in the build menu's are to small

i like the GUI design (with the SC/WC/DoW look) but tbh the energy/metal slider takes up more than enough room and more space should be given to the icons as they are to small and need to be bigger.

Ill comment on balance if i ever managed to get a multiplayer game

looks wise tis good and i like the revamped interface/music/feel as a whole (and world builder cities)

I supose pure is suposed to be played in fixed start pos. Because in choose mod u dont see the buildings till game starts (due to lua placement) so it can bork choosing start pos without know what terrain is there
panzeriv2

Post by panzeriv2 »

The PURE launcher does not launch Spring, instead it launches SelectionEditor, and when I clicked OK, Spring still doesn't launch.

And also:

=Fail. Even the UI is not present. What is wrong here? I tuned down all the settings but still...
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

ctrl+enter
emmanuel

Post by emmanuel »

sry
Last edited by emmanuel on 10 Mar 2009, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.
panzeriv2

Post by panzeriv2 »

/facepalm

Yessir I ctrl+enter but still that thing still presists.

And yes madam, I know English better than you and do you expect me to miss that words in front of me?
Andromeda

Post by Andromeda »

I awoke this morning after downloading P.U.R.E. overnight, and the first game i played froze my computer. I thought maybe I had misplaced a file, as there is a lot of them and I saw no directions. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

EDIT: Just played another one, same thing happened. It froze up when I tried to build a Resistance extractor :( P.S. The ancient metal/energy things got removed? :cry:
emmanuel

Post by emmanuel »

sry2
Last edited by emmanuel on 10 Mar 2009, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

k a few observations on the first games i had

Firstly the maps (dunno if its in all but its deffo on the one with the hill in the middle i forgot the name (im at work so cant check)

they seem to have a high value metal map so it makes artifacts pointless all you need to do is mex spam. (artifacts seem to have shit hp also meaning they are easy to kill and rather pointless anywayz)

time for bugs

*the scout tank vehicle thing for overmind appears twice in the buildlist for factory
*rank 3 overmind Air lab gives no new units (dunno if this is intended but the cost does not justify upgrading if nothing new is unlocked)
*tooltips refer to upgrades using minerals instead of material
*the mobile bunkers for resistance can deploy but cant undeploy(is this intended??)
*lack of death animation for overmind Big mech thing

Gameplay wise i find the mod very spammy now BT's seem very low especially with assist (i can spam Heavy assault shell endlessly very early on). the morph and deploy abilities are cool. But like for example the resistance tank the deploy/undeploy is so quik its pointless. also the mine bike's mines are very hard to see.

the game's looks good and the GUI elements(MAKE BUTTONS BIGGER) and feel/atmosphere of the game with the features from world builder is all very cool but im worried it will turn into one unit spamfest (tho this needs to be tested) stuff builds fast and everything dies fast making micro very needless.

It has potential and has polish in many area's i just think the gameplay could do with some improvements (i know i havent played much but early signs dont seem that promising)

but overall gj but let people give you a hand with gameplay/balance :P

ll test more and give more feedback
Argh

Post by Argh »

I awoke this morning after downloading P.U.R.E. overnight, and the first game i played froze my computer.
I think the bug's related to a piece of Lua. I've written a fix for it, and it will be in the first patch (which will be small).
P.S. The ancient metal/energy things got removed?
Nope, still there.
The PURE launcher does not launch Spring, instead it launches SelectionEditor, and when I clicked OK, Spring still doesn't launch.
What button did you hit? None of the buttons on AppLauncher are supposed to launch just Spring, and when I tested the Missions, they worked over here.
they seem to have a high value metal map so it makes artifacts pointless all you need to do is mex spam. (artifacts seem to have shit hp also meaning they are easy to kill and rather pointless anywayz)
You'll see after a while, they really aren't useless. And they certainly aren't easy to kill, unless you're not defending correctly. I think you need to play me or DRB.
*the scout tank vehicle thing for overmind appears twice in the buildlist for factory
Read the description, one's an AA variant.
*rank 3 overmind Air lab gives no new units (dunno if this is intended but the cost does not justify upgrading if nothing new is unlocked)
Tier three makes the factory's buildtime increase. But I agree, that's basically just a bug.
*tooltips refer to upgrades using minerals instead of material
That's a bug, fixed.
*the mobile bunkers for resistance can deploy but cant undeploy(is this intended??)
That is intended.
*lack of death animation for overmind Big mech thing
Yeah, that's not done yet.
im worried it will turn into one unit spamfest
If you can prove that it actually works that way, with any of the units, vs. non-nubs... we'd like to see a replay. DRB and I beat that issue to death, it's one of the reasons why it was in testing for so long.
the GUI elements(MAKE BUTTONS BIGGER)
We'll make them bigger. I'll put that at the top of the list, after bug-fixes.
stuff builds fast and everything dies fast making micro very needless
There is a ton of micro involved, if you're doing it right. You really need to play with people who know what they're doing, if you're just spamming and winning. That doesn't work, the minute people get into buildings and post real defenses, and we've tested that over and over again, we're sure that infantry units in buildings will stop just about any stream of units that you can build, shy of Overlord / UltraAssault spam.
let people give you a hand with gameplay/balance
The last time I took any balance advice, it was from people who hadn't played enough to have an opinion yet. I'm not making that mistake again. Play me or DRB until you can beat us before telling us something's OP. Nobody's even gotten close thus far, although Google gave us a decent game for a minute, before the stupid crash bug.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

More things

Features seem to be a big part of PURE. The lack of features on minimap is quite sucky (especially on unpleasentville) if you could get features(at least buildings) to appear on the minimap that would be great. ATM unpleasentville mini map looks like greenfields

(this also sucks for choose games instead of fixed)
Argh

Post by Argh »

(this also sucks for choose games instead of fixed)
That's a different issue- I need to make choose still destroy any of the World Builder objects that are present.
The lack of features on minimap is quite sucky
Before I change that, can you explain why that's "sucky"? I mean, they're alwaysVisible, so you're basically asking me to assign them a non-clear icon. I'm willing to do that, but it'll lead to a sea of icons on the mini-map for a typical city layout.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Oooh... sorry, one last note. A fair number of people with older computers have de-synced when trying to get into MP test games, because of the music. Disable Theme in the Widget menu to disable the theme music.

This is a problem related to unpacking large files from an archive, and will not be resolved until the next version of Spring is delivered.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

an icon system wouldnt be the best solution imo. Just a marking for roads/buildings area not icons (so it blends in with the terrain)

its hard to tell from the minimap now if ur units are on roads/inbetween buildings or on open ground which kinda sucks

SIDENOTE : get yourself an autohost
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I wanted to print the manual but it too wide for my printer, wat to do?!

Man I was looking for a way to disable the music, but playing music that was simply louder worked too.
Argh

Post by Argh »

I wanted to print the manual but it too wide for my printer, wat to do?!
Just tell your printer to shrink each page a bit, should take care of that. It never occurred to me that somebody would want to print it, it's pretty... rudimentary. I'm working on a nicer one for the next release, that one was strictly last-second stuff.
Man I was looking for a way to disable the music, but playing music that was simply louder worked too.
Turning off the "Theme" Widget disables the music, and will also make loading the game happen a lot faster.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

i load pure in 2-3 seconds Q_Q
Argh

Post by Argh »

It takes up to 10 seconds here, on this old thing. On DRB's laptop, there's a noticeable lag between when his MP client starts and when his desktop starts. We saw some poor guy fail to sync because he was so delayed. He probably doesn't meet the minimum system requirements, but that's another issue, I can't help it if people think they're going to be able to play this game on hardware that can barely play BA.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Argh wrote:Oooh... sorry, one last note. A fair number of people with older computers have de-synced when trying to get into MP test games, because of the music. Disable Theme in the Widget menu to disable the theme music.

This is a problem related to unpacking large files from an archive, and will not be resolved until the next version of Spring is delivered.
How can that possibly desync you? Can you give more details?

Also KingRaptor reported that uninstalling pure broke his spring install.

Return to “Argh's Projects”