Merc Squad 0.3b - Page 2

Merc Squad 0.3b

WolfeGames and projects headed by Argh.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Re: Merc Squad

Post by TheFatController »

It seemed like the basic rifle troops had too long range, in my opinion long range units require less micro and this is obviously a micro heavy mod.
Argh

Post by Argh »

I'll change the stuff that's been suggested that's not a lot of work (longer sight distance, nerf on AR and RL, make the description text go away a bit faster), put out 0.3b, and the new map, which is reasonably interesting and suitable, because it's more of a classic arena-style thing.

After that... meh, I dunno. I was thinking I'd add a stunner (to catch that Yakuza boss's daughter with), a sniper, a grenade guy and a medic, but I really dunno, seems like nobody really likes this one, and I don't really feel like putting any more work into something people won't play.
overkill

Post by overkill »

Its not liked due to the lack of unit selection, crappy upgrades and random players getting more credits. if you fix those people will like it i am sure.
Gota

Post by Gota »

you do need to make it possible to get cash when unit are killed.
Is that much work?
upgrades should be general stuff not unit specific.
if you add a hp upgrade make it so all ur units get it at once and any new units further along the line.
same with each upgrade.
You dont have a ui like in Warcraft 3 where u can easily micro your squad upgrades,spells etc.. so upgrades need to be for your entire force and need to cost accordingly of course.
but you have to allow to get some more cash in some way.
I do think you should add a vague radar just to add a sense of destination and so people cant just easily hide somewhere.

also i'm sure there is great demand for squad based tactical combat since there is no mod in spring that fills that gap.

if u want more micro you can also add movement target error for assault trooper weapons and lower rocket speed and don't make it home on targets at all (does it now?).
Last edited by Gota on 31 Dec 2008, 02:45, edited 4 times in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

For the record don't post something argh doesn't like he will threaten you as he has no sense of humor. I am not sure why but he seems to have an issue with anything that questions him as he cannot delete my post here unlike moddb where he deletes my feedback. Even though I am trying to help him.
Argh

Post by Argh »

IOW, I can't just ask you to bugger off privately.

Meh... go away. Don't post here, you're just hatin', and I don't approve.
Gota

Post by Gota »

just a few more ideas of how a squad based mod based on your can play.
You start of with basic combat units.
After you get some cash you can spend it on upgrades.
Initially there should be 3 upgrades that will control how your squad will evolve through levels of experiance(bought with cash).

1)individual style where you soldiers are all individual and all equals sharing abilities and upgrades.
2)class based evolution where you can divide your troops to groups and each group acts like single unit with the strength which is the sum of all group members plus a bonus.
Groups shouldn't be possible to dismantle and you can buy new members after some groups have less soldiers due to combat.
Those few groups will have individual upgrades that will allow them to become different kinds of soldiers and get all kinds of abilities.
3)a leader based squad evolution where you have ike 2 or 3 of your soldiers turn into leaders(maybe get inside a big armed combat suit)and those leaders get to be upgraded with the rest of the troops providing background forces.
smoth

Post by smoth »

not hating, if you have a production company it can protect your legal rights. That is a GOOD thing. You also deleted my post on moddb where I was going to leave feedback that might have helped other users who had low fps like I did. I did the same shit on my own moddb profile, I just posted it as part of a news post.

For you there is no grey area either someone is out to get you or they are your mindless worshipers. People are not that simple, again, I told you long ago, I don't care about the grudges, I don't have time to fiddle with you nor do I care. I do however, see you as another modder who is in need of honest feedback.

I am not your enemy, I don't care enough. I don't care. I am not black and white. I am a fellow modder and just because I do not worship the ground you walk on does not mean I cannot be respected.

I chose to post in here because I am tired of you trying to publicly silence me because you didn't like the thing I said. I didn't insult you.
Argh

Post by Argh »

:roll:

Look, Smoth. Posting whether or not I have a LLC or whatever is entirely irrelevant to what is, let's be real, a very alpha game design.

It's not an appropriate comment for a game designer to make- it's none of your business at all, how I do things, what I'm involved with, etc., and this is a very deliberate derail. I didn't "threaten" you, I simply said not to post here. Twice. Now, please leave.

I haven't chewed on anybody else here, because while I've been told frankly that the game sucks... it was relevant to the actual game design.

If this continues to be an issue with you, I can and will just take release threads to somewhere I can moderate myself. Posting here is not very important to me, tbh, and I'd see a lot more downloads by opening a ModDB page than I'll ever see from this tiny crowd. I only do it because I think that it's better if people around here see that game development's being done in the open, frankly, and because I'm practically immune to, "your game sucks" comments by now.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Argh wrote:I haven't chewed on anybody else here, because while I've been told frankly that the game sucks... it was relevant to the actual game design.
http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=page ... 605&page=1
^ is why I was asking your wolfe games. There are artists who as of late are losing their art to companies. ^

You are the one who brought all the legal crap here, and if you setup a LLC to protect your content it would be an interest to me as someone who gives a lot of content away. Which is the direction you seem to have gone. So yes, it is a valid question. Stop trying to vilify me.

yes, it is a neat experiment, which is also what I posted. Your pm was threatening, at first I thought it was a joke but then I realized that you are not one to have a sense of humor.
Argh

Post by Argh »

What part of "not any of your business" don't you understand...
smoth

Post by smoth »

That was all you had to say. Something like "that is personal" would have been a lot better. Instead of demanding that I NEVER ever ever post in one of your threads. Argh, I have always tried to give you meaningful feedback I was probably in appropriate back in the day but if you go read the post I made to you in moddb or the one in the pure thread you would see that I intend to only post helpful shit. I meant what I said in moddb, I understand you do not want to hear negative or critical feedback and my only feedback if it was critical would have beenn not posting. Why is it that you are so incapable of accepting people?
Argh

Post by Argh »

:roll:

Ok... this thread is now officially dead :?

I'm never maintaining another release thread here, ever. Tired of this. I'll put it on ModDB, when the more obvious flaws are all fixed and I have an installer package made.

Thanks to everybody who posted something relevant.
smoth

Post by smoth »

you of all people saying that over a small discussion over protecting content. You are fine to post here, what is your deal man?
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Lol, this is just so stupid, this whole discussion fails, smoth could've stopped posting when argh asked him to, and argh could've stopped reacting to his posts, but instead of doing that you 2 made this a drama thread.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

smoth wrote:It seems so pretentious.
You kinda did...

Not the most jarring or scathing thing ever said here, but I read the post the same way argh did.

I realize you're not intending it, but for the sake of not ripping this thread off topic and creating unnecessary drama, would you ceed argh's request? We're on the brink of this thread turning into a thread about "who meant to say what". That's not the point of the thread. Mods take alot of work to make, and they deserve to have relevant discussion only in their topics.
Gota

Post by Gota »

New release today?
Argh

Post by Argh »

@Swift: You're late, you're more than a dollar short... and I'm not planning on posting further releases here, I'm done. I'll be in Dev and other places, where useful things happen, but I just don't see the point any more.

I could give you the whole explanation, but it involves a lot of cursing.

Suffice it to say that, as usual, I find this place to be very poorly moderated, and I'm simply tired of it, after putting up with it for 3 years (minus the time spent getting IW on its feet last year).

People on ModDB are generally nicer, and if they aren't, I can deal with it myself, instead of having an ultimately futile argument with the "helpful". The only alternative that I'd find useful at this point would be to let me moderate my own threads, so that I don't have to put up with this kind of behavior, but as that is unlikely to be done, I don't see the point.

Writing the bloglike, blow-by-blow stuff I do... is hardly necessary, and is not an effective promotional tool (seriously, this is the smallest segment of the page-views I get nowadays) and I have always regarded it as a public service, wherever I've worked, to keep people in touch with my progress, and not just do the flashy big releases.

If people don't really want to interact with a game designer at my level, or can't do so without being really rude on a regular basis, then I just don't see any point in it. People manage to be relatively nice to KDR, so I'm guessing that it's mainly just because it's me, and that's tough- it takes two to play, and I'm no longer interested in the game.

@Gota: yes, expect another release, sometime today- I fixed a lot of major suck (for example, the opening screens can be escaped from, nerfed / buffed stuff, added the Sniper and the Stunner, changed the money system a bit, etc.). I need to sleep first though, and you'll have to watch on ModDB, I'm not doing it here.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

You'll have to post a moddb link first :wink:
Gota

Post by Gota »

Oh no not moddb again
i hate their download links
please upload to jj its not as big as pure so you have no excuse :P.

Return to “Argh's Projects”