P.U.R.E. 0.55 - Page 17

P.U.R.E. 0.55

WolfeGames and projects headed by Argh.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

KDR_11k
Game Developer

Re: P.U.R.E. 0.55

Post by KDR_11k »

Too monochrome for my taste and the greebles on the wings are just weird, like you just added random shapes for no reason.
Argh

Post by Argh »

The greebles on the wings are supposed to suggest the weird shapes that modern stealth aircraft use to break up their radar signature. They also suggest feathers, which I thought would be a fun visual joke- it's the Great Black Bird of Doom ;)
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Argh, I may be able to do some of the voices in the next week, as per your PM. Still interested?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Absolutely.
pintle

Post by pintle »

Chopper reminds me of the bird/plane thing in ghost in the shell 2

ie it looks sweet
smoth

Post by smoth »

better to suggest that with panel lines or a paint job. More raised plates as you have there increase radar signature. Stealth also uses angles to deflect/distort radar.

would be better to over emphasize the sharp angles if that was the look you wanted.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Also: your pictures of the model stationary has three rotors. Inflight, there's only two. Just noticed that...
Argh

Post by Argh »

Yeah, I know, I haven't created the custom bitmap for that one, it's just using the tester for now.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

The bended blade make it look like a wreck. Use straight blades!

Also, tail rotor are supposed to be oriented the transversal way! Turn it 90° around y! They aren't here to thrust the heli forward, but to counter the rotation of the body counter rotation to main rotor.
Argh

Post by Argh »

The bended blade make it look like a wreck. Use straight blades!
Not a chance. Looks cool.
Also, tail rotor are supposed to be oriented the transversal way!
Actually, that's untrue, zwzsg. The design is based on this, from the real world:

While I happily admit to taking artistic license (and referencing something specific, actually) with the blades, the tail is entirely realistic. Google "compound helicopters", see for yourself.
Last edited by Argh on 18 Jan 2008, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

But I liked my rear tailfan...
Argh

Post by Argh »

It wasn't bad, or anything. I just wanted something that suggested the most modern thoughts about design, did a bunch of research, and that was what resulted.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Needs less Ms. Or Ws if you happen to sit on your head.
I liked the original tail as well. Looks like a stick now.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Argh wrote:Actually, that's untrue, zwzsg. The design is based on this, from the real world
:shock:

Right, there's some. But then your model needs to be more aerodynamically shaped, as compound planes are planes-helis hybrid.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

They're more like plane-helicopter hybrids...
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Hmm, I think I prefered the original tail, however, in my opinion, the tail you've given it makes it look more "realistic" and slightly more conventional technologically.
Argh

Post by Argh »

But then your model needs to be more aerodynamically shaped, as compound planes are planes-helis hybrid.
I could have gone that direction, but I'd already made enough major changes to GMN's design that any further would be a Bad Thing, and lose the things about the front end that made it work so well. And if I was going to go that far, I'd have to have started over, tbh.

Instead, I just pulled the points on the wing-edges, to make them feel a bit aerodynamic, and left the rest of the geometry intact. It's always a bit tricky, figuring out what can be done without destroying something, and this one was very challenging, reconciling a very different vision without losing the design. Personally, I think it worked, it's a very distinctive design- when people need to think about the concepts behind it, it's always a good sign :-)
TheRegisteredOne

Post by TheRegisteredOne »

Argh wrote:Image

The Resistance Attack Chopper. Model by Guessmyname, with modifications by me, paint by me.

Right-click to view, they're big images, to show the details. Sorry, 56K people.
awesome! :O
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

I do think the gray is a bit too dark though
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

Well, I played P.U.R.E tonight.
Amazing. the texture quality on the Overmind units is great for a Spring mod (I'm comparing mostly to OTA units btw here though). I expected the gameplay to be a little weird given that nanoblobs was very different from any other spring mod at the time, but it was quite natural for me, who is accustomed to playing endless hours of CA and BA. The only gripes I had were with the sound effects, which seemed underwhelming given the exceptional quality of the rest of the mod, and the camera shake Lua widget, which made the game unplayable until I disabled it.
All in all, 9/10 from me. Fantastic job Argh.

Return to “Argh's Projects”