Sound Effect / Music Composition - Page 3

Sound Effect / Music Composition

Discuss sound effects, game music, and the creation thereof.

Moderator: Moderators

Argh

Re: Sound Effect / Music Composition

Post by Argh »

Terribly sorry if that sounds like complaining. You are a very gifted sound guy, can't emphasize enough that I like what I'm hearing :-)
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

Nah man I wanna get into this industry and this is my first taste so im still learning my self and am happy to be proven wrong an will change things based on demand so just keep pointing stuff out :mrgreen:
Argh

Post by Argh »

OK, but you won't hear much critique, other than technical quibbles. You really have a good ear, I'm loving a lot of these mixes :-)

Pairatcv is awesome btw, very good mood.

Wish you'd been around when I did the sound for P.U.R.E. :-)
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

i can redo it if you want? lol

Also whats the aim of this whole website / project? just some thing people do in there spare time?
Argh

Post by Argh »

I wish it was that simple, but P.U.R.E. is the one-and-only commercial title built with the engine, so I can't just say "sure, go ahead".

On the other hand... meh, maybe we can talk about building a community pack that builds on this stuff for everybody to use. I'm super-stoked that we finally have a good sound guy around here!

[EDIT]Oopsie... XploMed2 is blank... might want to catch that... whee, it's the whole Xplo series...[/EDIT]

Oh, and here, did some subtle pitch-shift stuff to WindGen2 to give it slight tonal variety:

http://www.wolfegames.com/TA_Section/WindGen2Remake.wav
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

yeah i did notice that all the xplods where blank when i loaded them into Audacity but yeah il get onto making sure there no clipping and pops in the sound right away may take a few days or so busy with course but willl sort it out =D

P.s dont mean to sound rude but you didnt answer my question before
Also whats the aim of this whole website / project? just some thing people do in there spare time?
Argh

Post by Argh »

For the most part, yes, this is stuff that we do for fun :-)

Oh, and if you look in the zip, the ones that came out "blank" are 4K in size. Odd, Audacity must've hiccuped or something.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

To answer your question properly this website specifically is for Spring which is an open source RTS engine and to make one is the Spring project's aim. Most games for the engine are active projects in their own right and many have separate sites. I wouldn't call this forum the headquarters of any really active games, the forum has many complex purposes.
Kanoba wrote:i would love to learn how to do that hehe but think il stick to audio for now ^_^
Adding audio to a game is quite a simple task given that the audio is already created. It's a matter of putting the audio in a correctly named directory within a game and telling units or weapons to use it when they perform certain actions. You can link audio to anything with lua but that's more complex.
A lot of those sounds are blank. From your update description I think the ones that you worked on since they where wav are blank.

By the way here is are the sounds collected/produced for CA so far. The repository is half a storage and half implemented. With your sounds I'll go through and update CA when I have time.
http://trac.caspring.org/browser/trunk/ ... ion/sounds

If you're taking requests could you have a go at creating a really epic Annihilator sound, I don't think your remake does it justice? CA uses BUILD2 as the sound for beamlasers which given the name I doubt was the original purpose, could you make something more beamlasery?

Also if it's not too much work could you upload a version of the replies without crackly voice?

To be efficient I think you should coordinate closely with a project that wants new sounds. I can tell you're using BA's sounds as a template to remake. A few of those sounds come from 3rd party sources so are considered free. There are many more in the source that are just not used.

Maybe you should try out some of these games to see how the single sounds 'work' in the larger context of the game. That's always useful when remaking
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

still learning and i do play the game i thought it was a good idea to give them slight voices like that, also yeah i realize that some are blank and im getting onto it

Also i can redo the vehicles with out the voice for CA but whos incharge of BA? if there is some one cause atm im getting alot of different requests from different people and just dont know whos in charge if anyone is
Argh

Post by Argh »

I really like the voices, myself- it gives the sounds a spooky ambience.

And the characters are supposed to be AIs, so the sounds need some way to convey that they're talking to one another anyhow, and doing something like modem chirps or whatever seems like it would be too dry, imo.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Hey, TheFatController is the person who releases BA (ie is in charge of it), as far as I know.

I also have to disagree with Google Frog on one point - I think what you've put together so far is general enough to be quite useful as it is (I don't think it's a must for you to pick/join any one project - though that certainly has benefits as well).

With that (general usability) in mind though, I'll add myself to the list of requesters :P -> Depending on how your production flow was, do you have the files named descriptively, rather than according to what they're replacing (though of course often enough, the first is clear from the later) ? If not, I might put them together in that manner (or write up a list along those lines), just wanted to make sure I'm not reduplicating effort here :). Also, I had the impression you used some sounds twice (ie for Core and Arm) - 'course there's no harm in this, but that would be handy for me to know as well (feel free to PM me - and no hurry in any case :D).

Sean
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Each game running on the engine has a different team and different objectives. There are dozens of games all with different teams. Most people will say in the title under their name on the forum which game they work on.
<- Over there, 'CA developer'.
However, Google and Licho dont because they have broader responsibilities (Google is a Moderator and Licho basically owns this joint). Both are CA developers, like me. You can assume that prettymuch anyone who doesnt have a role listed is just a player.

BA has no interest in changing its content or getting rid of Total Annihilation content. Its meant to be a 'finished' game and a consistent experience. There are some people working on BA:R, which would replace all the content, you can follow that effort over at the BA forums.

CA's goal is to make an open-source game with open-source content to go with the open-source engine, working from Total Annihilation as a base but being a different and distinct game. We havent replaced all the content yet but we're a fair way along.

Anyway, on the legal issue, the remix plus licence does unfortunately require you to give the names of every single artist whose work you used. The licence is also incompatible with the GPL licence according to the Linux/GNU people.

I know, what an absolute pain hey? I am sure you could probably go and ask everyone who uploaded content specifically if they would be willing to re-license it under the GPL, Artistic Licence 2.0, CC-BY-SA 3.0 or some other GPL-compatible licence, but that would be a lot of people wouldnt it, if just listing their names is a lot of work i can only imagine how many emails that would be. Asking the people who run freesound probably wouldnt help, as they dont own the licences for the works.

The licence does apparently allow its use with commercial projects, which is usually the stickler for Linux distributions, so i dont know why this is. I guess its the attribution thing, i wish they werent so fussy. But without attribution you are in violation of the original licence.

If you could possibly mark out any work you did that doesnt include freesounds.org work that would be great, if you'd be willing to licence that under a GPL-compatible licence, because us CA guys would love to use it.

Hey, at least if you want to learn how the industry works, learning about copyright licences is a big step in that direction! Even if its the least fun part of this whole exercise.
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

zzzzz this sound more trouble then its worth lol
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Kanoba wrote:zzzzz this sound more trouble then its worth lol
Well its their licences, regardless of GPL compatability you still need to give attribution.

This is why i hate attribution licences. :(
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

ok well il just start making the sound effects my self with my own stuff and no samples so now im taking requests
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Do all the sounds use samples from freesound? If not it would be great if you could figure out which are free to use as it would be a shame to be unable to use all those sounds.

And if you're looking for some free samples I have collected some here:
http://trac.caspring.org/browser/trunk/source
Be warned they are not all free, I was trapped by the freesound licence as well which is why there is a freesound sources folder. Anything with a string of digits before the name is from freesound. There is also a folder called OTA which is defiantly not free. I use it as reference and to check if a sound is actually from OTA or a 3rd party sound (I got the sounds out of OTA install).
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Isnt sampling covered by fair use? See the grey album for legal precedent.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Yeah, more or less, kinda, depending on what a judge says and how they interpret the existing precendents.

See law; the EU's laws on this are roughly similar.

That said, I think it's fair to say that anything from freesound that has been mashed up significantly isn't going to ever get anybody sued.

And CA can always offer the sounds as a non-GPL-but-free-as-in-freedom "add-on pack", if you want to keep your sounds GPL-compliant in the main distro.

OFC, that means you'd have to make GPL-compliant sounds in the first place, that kanobo's stuff could replace.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth too closely, people.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I find attribution a small, and indeed positive, gesture for use. Certainly I've released things with non-attribution licenses, or more often into the Public Domain, but I would still prefer to be credited, and assigning credit is a minor amount of work resulting in a great gesture of respect.

Return to “Sound Effects & Music”