Do You Play an Instrument?

Discuss sound effects, game music, and the creation thereof.

Moderator: Moderators

MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

If so, tell us what you play, what you play with it, and how much experience you've had. :-)

Your voice counts if you've sung in a choir/band or have had training.

I'm a pretty proficient violinist. I also own a couple pendant ocarinas, which are great fun to play. :mrgreen:
oksnoop2

Re: Do You Play an Instrument?

Post by oksnoop2 »

I guess i'll start the long line of people who say "guitar"

I've been playing for ...two years? i think. I more or less make noise, arrhythmic loud noise.

My favorite guitar i have is a Korean squire stratocaster.
maackey

Post by maackey »

Used to play the saxophone, haven't touched it in years though.

Self-taught myself a few songs on the piano, but we didn't have it for long.

Now I tap my fingers on the desk wishing I learned drums instead of the saxophone in middle-school.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Used to sing - was the only kid on both the wrestling team and the choir back in the day.

no I'm not gay, dammit.

Once upon a time I played bass and the piano... pretty damned rusty at both, though.
Sucky_Lord

Post by Sucky_Lord »

Piano, i can play the fur elise and mozart's turkish march, but i couldnt tell you what an A chord is. I like to learn a specific song :P
Bender The Offender

Post by Bender The Offender »

Been playing guitar for ages now. Ive gotten to the stage where i find learning new songs an arduous task rather then fun progressing like it used to be, so i haven't actually gotten any better in the past 3/4 years. i suck really bad at electric "shredding", fingerpicking ftw.
We also have a 100yo piano ive recently started playing since i know how to read music but im pretty new to that.
Panda

Post by Panda »

I used to know how to play piano and can read the sheet music, but I don't think that I could really play anything on a piano right now.

I can sing and have been singing since I was a kid when my grandmother taught me how to sing and from singing in the church choir and during some church activities. I've also had many years of training at my university. At the university I would mainly sing Art Songs, but some of my favorite songs to sing include, "Yellow" by Coldplay, "Amaranth" by Nightwish, "American Lullaby" the art song by Gladys Rich, "True Lover's Farewell" the English folk song, "Once Upon A December", and "Beautiful Dreamer" by Stephen Foster.

I was able to sing "Amaranth" on a stage in front of a class other than my music class as a part of a project and everyone was impressed. I also think that, when sung properly, "Beautiful Dreamer" is a really pretty song with lovely lyrics. It's great for creating a surreal atmosphere.
RaT

Post by RaT »

I'm playing piano, guitar (electronic and acoustic), bass, recorder :D, and drums, but really bad ;)

I play guitar for, I think, six years. Had a really good guitar teacher, but when I moved out I wasn't able to go to him anymore.
How to play the piano i figured out by myself. I have an electronic piano and use it with my mac for my compositions.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Bass

Around 5 year

Fender American Jazz Bass / Fender American Zone Bass

Funk/Rock

/thread
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

hehe i had aspirations of being a musician when i was younger

i own two guitars, the favoured one being a made-in-mexico gibson les paul (i picked it for sound out of a lot of about 15, its got a nice thick black sabbathy sort of sound to it on the lower registers)

never really got good at playing it but i can still pick it up and play "rock n roll part 2" when the urge strikes me, watching various sporting events

i'm a much better composer than i am at actually playing instruments... was in a band for a few years and wrote maybe 30-40 punk songs, i was the singer, and not much better at singing than the guitar.

that's cool MK, not many people appreciate the violin... a friend i went to junior school with just graduated uni for some sort of math specific degree, and now he's having the time of his life being a violin busker downtown. he can play a heck of a jig
pintle

Post by pintle »

Guitar (mostly acoustic), and a wee bit of piano/violin. I also muck about with my cousin's ukelele (however you spell it) from time to time, and have been fooling around with my mate's mandolin a bit.

I pretty much suck, play for myself as opposed to trying to impress, mostly just enjoy jamming the blues.
Panda

Post by Panda »

MidKnight playing the violin neat. We don't have a lot of violinists around here who will play in the open air, but I remember seeing a violinist playing on campus at my university one day and thought that it was a very nice thing to hear. He did a great job and it was a pretty day to walk around, so hearing him play made things all the more pleasant.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Played trombone in high school, used to play piano, recently bought a midi keyboard to mess around...pretty rusty though. Also bought a crappy squire P-bass to make bwooomy noises with.
aegis

Post by aegis »

been playing piano regularly for the past eight years or so, and I sing a bit.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I used to sing more, I still sing a little. I recently picked up a guitar and a bass but haven't decided whether or not to pursue either.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Harmonica. The cats love it.
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

Violin
Tube

Choir

Forgot most of those though, sadly
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

I was a singer in a lolzy punk band but we did too much getting drunk before our set and stealing leads from other bands backstage and not enough sounding bearable so we broke up after 5 gigs

I have this one recording which I like to keep around as a reminder never to join another band

http://rapidshare.com/files/383940091/y ... n.mp3.html
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Piano for about the last dozen years. I'd call myself medium experience, things like fur elise and the entertainer.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Google_Frog wrote:Piano for about the last dozen years.
What's your APM?

Return to “Sound Effects & Music”