Air absorption in spring - Page 2

Air absorption in spring

Discuss sound effects, game music, and the creation thereof.

Moderator: Moderators

Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Re: Air absorption in spring

Post by Auswaschbar »

CarRepairer wrote:This idea sounds awesome, I hope it works for me on the next release.

But there are some infamous mappers who will grow angry at the use of air absorption because some maps don't have air. They will claim it ruins immersion and tramples on mapper's rights.
You can always press F6 when playing space maps :lol:
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

CarRepairer wrote:This idea sounds awesome, I hope it works for me on the next release.

But there are some infamous mappers who will grow angry at the use of air absorption because some maps don't have air. They will claim it ruins immersion and tramples on mapper's rights.
Sadly, this is probably true.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Car, troll less pls, kthxbai.
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

If the map doesn't have air, it shouldn't have sounds either, no?
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Teutooni wrote:If the map doesn't have air, it shouldn't have sounds either, no?
You succeed at physics!
Gota

Post by Gota »

When playing on asteroids units should just float off into space for more realism.
Argh

Post by Argh »

The mappers could just use some Lua to send that command. In fact, I'm going to add that to a "space" map, just for fun.
When playing on asteroids units should just float off into space for more realism.
That'd be very tricky to pull off with a Map gadget, but it'd be perfectly possible to do with a game Gadget.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Argh wrote:The mappers could just use some Lua to send that command. In fact, I'm going to add that to a "space" map, just for fun.
That'd be very tricky to pull off with a Map gadget, but it'd be perfectly possible to do with a game Gadget.
I was being sarcastic but on low gravity maps it could be interesting to implement something like wreckage flying slowly away.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

Beherith, could you please try to get OpenAL Soft DLL form mingwlibs 20.1 from here: http://github.com/spring/spring/downloads
and try with that?
Aus has put the latest version in there (1.11.753).
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Das Bruce wrote:
Teutooni wrote:If the map doesn't have air, it shouldn't have sounds either, no?
You succeed at physics!
A winner is you!
Beherith wrote:Car, troll less pls, kthxbai.
Come on behe it's our friendly rivalry now, not trolling. Trying to make you laugh. Also the first sentence of my post seemed to short and dull on its own so I had to add some flavor to it.

I really am excited to hear this in action.
knorke

Post by knorke »

i do not want to dampen your joy over this new feature but spring still has this problem that makes me afraid to play with sound volume > 10%
There can be some moments when things get REALLY FUCKING LOUND like in S44 you zoom in on some infantry and suddendly they start shooting...
Your ears explode even if before the volume was just fine.
If its a modproblem then most mods have that problem.
Yea, war is probally very loud but its so super annoying :/
Maybe zoom distance should not have such a big influence as x,y distance, if that can be done. Or the sound should just be more compressed and less dynamic, i dont know.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

knorke wrote:i do not want to dampen your joy over this new feature but spring still has this problem that makes me afraid to play with sound volume > 10%
There can be some moments when things get REALLY FUCKING LOUND like in S44 you zoom in on some infantry and suddendly they start shooting...
Your ears explode even if before the volume was just fine.
If its a modproblem then most mods have that problem.
Yea, war is probally very loud but its so super annoying :/
Maybe zoom distance should not have such a big influence as x,y distance, if that can be done. Or the sound should just be more compressed and less dynamic, i dont know.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_normalization
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

knorke, could you please try to get OpenAL Soft DLL form mingwlibs 20.1 from here: http://github.com/spring/spring/downloads
and try with that?
Aus has put the latest version in there (1.11.753).

hoijui: sorry for re-using your post :-)
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

ima opensource. therefore, i am proud to be reused.
what i am a bit concerned with is, that neither Aus nor Behe reported back with test results, whether it works now for them or not (Behe did, but not with newer OpenAL lib yet). I guess i could just post a new installer with the recent OpenAL Soft version ...
here it is:
http://buildbot.eat-peet.net/spring/ins ... e4686e.exe
this is spring master, so you will not be able to play online with this!
this is also the first installer to future a version of OpenAL that fixes the volume escalation bug (for real now).
soo.. please get this, and test the two issues (air absorption & volume escalation), and report back.

if you are on linux and want to test air absorption, make sure you have a recent OpenAL Soft version. 1.9 worked fine for me, but earlier ones might/should work too.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Sorry, the update slipped by me, ill test it on the weekend.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Das Bruce wrote:
You succeed at physics!
You lose however at Star Wars physics!
knorke

Post by knorke »

ah cool.
downloading this
http://buildbot.eat-peet.net/spring/ins ... e4686e.exe
now and see how it goes.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

Pako

Post by Pako »

Who is stupid enough to say there is no sound in space, most of people apparently.

Of course human ear is well insulated from conductive sounds but *A is not humans fighting but highly dedicated robots, also air as a sound conductor is very slow and lossy compared to more dense materials like sand, stone and steel. Also planes can emit sound and it can be fast as light too. Every unit have atleast a radio as well.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Whut?

Return to “Sound Effects & Music”