Free sound & music sources - Page 2

Free sound & music sources

Discuss sound effects, game music, and the creation thereof.

Moderator: Moderators

Master-Athmos

Re: Free sound & music sources

Post by Master-Athmos »

Fun fact: Ogg Vorbis overpowers the mp3 codec for quite a while delivering better results especially in the <100 Kbit range. So I wouldn't call using it a letdown...

Concerning which bitrate to apply in your game - well I guess everything is fine even with something around 192-224 Kbit/sec (all 44KHz, stereo). When you compare with what games are around the intro HD cinematic already eats up several hundert MBs so it's not really useful to go down all to like 128 KBit to save you like 50 MB for all your music...

And yes if you have a decent soundsystem there is an easily audible difference between 128 and 192 Kbits...
smoth

Post by smoth »

funny, I have never really noticed a difference but then again I am the kind of guy that completely turns off BASS.

you are missing my point athmos, most of our projects have horribly amatuer sound work, hobbyist graphics at best and often times laughable animations. We have players who cry about downloading maps >5 megs yes we do and often releases within months of each other because an engine release can break our project.

No offense is meant by this argh..

most people here will not try to say that our projects really warrent such quality and are still verymuch of the mind that we are trying to save space here and there. I do not believe that outside of argh any of us see our projects as that high a quality. to justify going in and collecting something like a 128 quality audio.

argh: sure 1 file is only 10 megs but you don't have 1 file do you. My last gundam release was like 200+ mainly due to unoptimized feature textures and a few other things. I do not think it is unreasonable to try and avoid unecessary waste on file size.

both: in general I don't see the point of trying to caiter to audiophiles when our in game acks and sounds are of such poor quality I am constantly embarressed by the very w.i.p.ishness of it. so why all the anal crap about audio quality in songs hell argh pure has been a large exercise in speed texturing for you, why are you so worried about audio when you have been more about speed up until now?

P.s. forgive the massive spelling errors as of late, I am typing in between tours(off to see a concert in vienna tonight, wanna talk about audio... heh)
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

smoth wrote:argh: sure 1 file is only 10 megs but you don't have 1 file do you. My last gundam release was like 200+ mainly due to unoptimized feature textures and a few other things. I do not think it is unreasonable to try and avoid unecessary waste on file size.
Says the one who includes photoshop projects, thumbnail database and all that stuff in his releases...
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

smoth wrote:most of our projects have horribly amatuer sound work, hobbyist graphics at best and often times laughable animations. We have players who cry about downloading maps >5 megs yes we do and often releases within months of each other because an engine release can break our project.
[...]
I do not believe that outside of argh any of us see our projects as that high a quality. to justify going in and collecting something like a 128 quality audio.
Yet I don't really see why this would make the use of very low-bit music a good excuse. I mean if you say that a project hasn't that high quality in terms of the skill in art put into it and the music you have also isn't that professional (although you still could have bought some good music) I still see no reason to say: Well I'm going to give it a bad bitrate then because it's not good anyway. Either use a music track or not and try to deliver it in the best way possible. I mean you also don't cut your texture sizes in half because you think that they aren't of good quality...

You have sort of a point concerning the file sizes and people moaning about them. I'd still say ignore that. I mean look at how many hundreds of MB you have to download nowadays for mere patches. I've even seen some crossing the 1GB mark. So people actually should have gotten used to it. That's why I think that a 5-30 MB download for e.g. maps is nothing one should moan about just as let's say additional 100MB for music in your game. While having a look at today's patch sizes which people rarely criticize in an insistent way that shouldn't be something that keeps them from downloading your mod...
Argh

Post by Argh »

most people here will not try to say that our projects really warrent such quality and are still verymuch of the mind that we are trying to save space here and there. I do not believe that outside of argh any of us see our projects as that high a quality. to justify going in and collecting something like a 128 quality audio.
So, basically until I finally make P.U.R.E. look like CryEngine, I should not have decent audio, even though OTA had decent audio? Smoth, don't defeat yourself by being so perfectionist... if music makes the experience more fun, ship it with music. IMO, it certainly does. The extra 50MB to include a few cute, Gundam-themed Japanese pop songs or whatever you think would be suitable is nothing, and music adds a lot.

And if your game weighs in at 200MB and you're still not using DDS, that's why. I have a lot more content in P.U.R.E. / World Builder: 350+ models and still growing, and the two content modules are 156 MB uncompressed (yes, that includes DDS DXT5 normalmaps for a fairly large percentage of the objects now). It only rises to the hundreds-of-megs levels because of maps.

And the people who moan about 50MB downloads aren't the people who are generally interested in buying the game, frankly. 200MB is nothing by today's standards.
smoth

Post by smoth »

no, no it doesn't have to look like a crytek game, definitely not my point at all. Just that I don't know pure has always been about "getting it done" rather than making it the best it can be so it seemed odd to me that you would shift in perspective on sound. Our sounds in both games are pretty sub par, I have not seen your latest pure but IIRC they were as bad as gundam(1.21)'s sounds are.
Argh

Post by Argh »

The latest versions take advantage of the 3D sound stuff, which helps a lot, and helps with performance too. I'd rate the current sound as "adequate", but certainly not AAA.

Unfortunately, AAA sound requires either a dedicated studio and voice acting talent, or me putting a solid month into working on it, and I just can't spare that month atm.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Hmm I will have to take a look.
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller »

Bump.

Sticky this thread please, it'd be very helpful for newcomers and for modding veterans seeking libre music (if they aren't able to make music themselves)
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

Thanks for stickifying - we'll most certainly put this in the Wiki too. At that point it won't be needed as a sticky anymore so nobody has to worry about too many stickies in this subforum... :-)
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I think I might move it over into a new subforum for game a/v.
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller »

Master-Athmos wrote:Thanks for stickifying - we'll most certainly put this in the Wiki too. At that point it won't be needed as a sticky anymore so nobody has to worry about too many stickies in this subforum... :-)
Or the Wiki could link to this page.
I think I might move it over into a new subforum for game a/v.
I endorse this! :P
jcksmith21

Post by jcksmith21 »

Friends,

If you want to download a Free sound and music from internet so that there is many links (sites) are available, thru you can enjoy to listen latest music with great sound of quality. And also its provide a facility to listen online music with out download them.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_op ... ideo_games

Probably the best place to get GPL/PD sounds: Other GPL games. Look for open liscences under the 'content' section.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

http://remix.kwed.org c64 game music remixes, all free to use.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Hey, great set of links!
For those that want fully libre/open source licenced music I'd recommend the following four (of the collection):
  • - jamendo - contemporary music (select "for commercial use" and "remodifyable" in the search options)
    - opsound - (pd or cc-by-sa) also contemporary stuff, broad range
    - incompetech (cc-by), broad range, mostly soundtrackish
    - Openmusicarchive (pd) - mostly Jazz and other stuff that is old enough to have fell into the public domain
    - musopen (pd) - mostly orchestral music, a lot of military band marches
Of these, jamendo, opsound and especially Kevin Macleods stuff (at Incompetech) are probably the most interesting for the majority of gamemakers.

Edit: One of the links were broken for me yesterday - Kevin Macleods stuff (hosted at Incompetech) is great as well - I've stumbled over a Moddb game using them just by chance today.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

I found Professor Kliq on jamendo and I've been listening to his work for the past 7 years, and it always struck me as good game music. Anyway he has all his tracks on Soundcloud. I'm not positive on the license but I believe its a type of Creative Commons. So if someone is looking for good instrumental/electronic tracks I would highly suggesting checking him out, or clicking on the link above.

Edit: I checked it out and most(if not all) of his tracks are licensed under CC BY-NC-SA (Soundcloud shows the license for every track) , so they would be perfect for non-commercial(most) spring games.

Return to “Sound Effects & Music”