My policy on borrowing ideas from other mods

[ARCHIVED]

Moderators: Caydr, Moderators, Content Developer

Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I want to make it clear that I do not intend to simply play BA+CA+*A for while and take whatever I like. That's not my way of doing things and it's not the way AA has ever operated.

I will develop my own solutions to problems. I've also spoken (texted?) with TFC and we've come to a mutual understanding that our mods will remain separate entities, each with their own play style. We will not make 1:1 copies of each others' work, we will find our own solutions to problems.

It's unavoidable that I will have to implement some degree of LUA scripting and since this isn't my strong suit, this is one area where I will unavoidably have to choose either very little LUA or LUA based on other mods. TFC has offered his help with this.
Otherside

Re: My policy on borrowing ideas from other mods

Post by Otherside »

you have some egomaniacal complex . Thinking AA will be the godsend that will save spring or so your tone in pretty much every thread implies it :/
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Otherside wrote:you have some egomaniacal complex . Thinking AA will be the godsend that will save spring or so your tone in pretty much every thread implies it :/
Felony 5 & 6. Do not misjudge Caydr's divine enrichment.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

JAZCASH wrote:
Otherside wrote:you have some egomaniacal complex . Thinking AA will be the godsend that will save spring or so your tone in pretty much every thread implies it :/
Felony 5 & 6. Do not misjudge Caydr's divine enrichment.
is dat sum backseat moderation
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Felony 43 and 44, your tone and avatar remind me of Smoth. Keep that up and I won't allow you to join my harem.

It's not really important to me whether AA gets a lot of players again, actually I'm hoping it doesn't come close to its previous popularity... I lot of people got pretty pissed when the only thing being played was AA.

Incidentally, does spring *need* saving from something? It doesn't seem to be doing too bad... tho it was a lot more active a few years ago tbh...

Anyways, the reason I'm confident about AA is simply because I know this game's guts better than anyone. There's tons of people who know better micro or who can beat me in a game certainly, but I have a deeper understanding in general.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Actually, lobby numbers are up considerably, Caydr. In your position I wouldn't look at the mods too much, but rather the games.

Also, if you still need me to moderate your personal boards, I don't have the time to spare, and I apologize.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

The problem is, AA was actually a lot of fun to play back in the old days, so it was ok being king, but then you (caydr) just I dunno, dropped off the deep end and started making changes that didn't make a heck of a lot of sense, so it became a lot less fun to play, which sucked because it was impossible to get a game of anything else. Leaving the rest of us with basically nothing to play that we could get players for.

Badly worded paragraph was badly worded. Sorry.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Yeah it made me feel bad to leave AA in such a sore state.

If nothing else, I want to come back and have AA be the best it can be - if nobody wants to play it, fine. Just so long as people are choosing not to play "AA at the top of its game" and not being forced to ditch "AA, latest unplayable buggy release".
Cephei

Post by Cephei »

heretic !
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

I'm not saying you should _clone BA/AA/NOTA. I said you should play them and see the directions others have taken your work. Not for the sake of copying, but so you can realize that there are approaches and possibilities you may not have thought of.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Really...Why have such harsh standards?
Almost every mod has some strong points or at least useful ideas or some lua code...
Wouldn't it be a shame to have to not use some of those cool stuff?
After all...this is an open source community.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Things that are completely out of my field of knowledge, like lua, I'll probably have to borrow.

Still, I don't intend to use the open source excuse to just take ideas from everywhere. I will make AA without heavily referencing other mods, and then after the beta is out, any weak areas can be supplemented with other ideas where necessary.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

lua is not that complex, arguably cob or bos is worse by a miles.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Cob/bos are stable and don't change with every version. Hint: all my text is fail now. Thanks for that by the way.

Return to “Caydr's Projects”