What did you enjoy most about AA? - Page 2

What did you enjoy most about AA?

[ARCHIVED]

Moderators: Caydr, Moderators, Content Developer

JohannesH

Re: What did you enjoy most about AA?

Post by JohannesH »

Caydr wrote:when was the last time you built a metal storage?
I build m storage all the time - for nanoblocking. :p
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Honestly, in old AA? I most enjoyed the L1 SimBase/Kbot game, as silly as it sounds in retrospect. Back when Guardians were useful. Then came the Flashspam versions and the SimBase/Kbot gameplay vanished.

But I'm probably alone on that one.
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

Storages are used all the time!!! O_O, I love that aspect of the game.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

We were stranded on Corsica, our presence noted, but our stockpiles insufficient to purchase passage off that rock.

We began with only a few paltry mexes, but given time we were able to furnish 40000 metal in small bills, and buy our way back to the continent.

Actually, I built one just last thursday.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

Units removed: hyper radars, bertha ships, bertha tanks, orcone,
krogtaar, artillery hovers, aegis, firestorm
nooOoOOoo
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

But you're getting bertha ships back.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Caydr wrote:But you're getting bertha ships back.
How about better looking bship models? Something that resembles bertha/timmy.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

It's all taken care of 8)
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

why did krogtaar get removed? i loved that mech, it was cooler than any of the other mechs IMO.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

It was basically just a level 3 version of a "leveler"-like unit, right? Medium-short range, slower than most units, good damage with a largish AoE, and reasonably heavy armor.

I'm trying to move AA away from super units and Krogtaar didn't have a real role besides "heavy hitter", and AA's got lots of those.

If I'm wrong about it, it's just a matter of copying the files back in. Please don't draw any conclusions about something being good or bad until you've seen it in the context of the new mod as a whole. It's a really different game.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

hmm... replace commander with krogtaar? that would look cooler. i dont like the default commander models anyways :D
Gota

Post by Gota »

So is this thing gonna be released soon?
Also,Krogtar was one of the coolest t3 bots..
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

On the Krogtaar note, I'd like to see more low-damage, high AOE, high impulse weapons.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

No this is not going to be released probably before the end of the year. Progress was coming very fast until about 3 weeks ago roughly, when I decided to take a short break due to burnout from staring at spreadsheets all day. So I played Alpha Centauri a couple times, modded it so worms, isles, and locusts aren't buildable by humans (to combat the governor AI's fetish with them), and quartered the maximum research speed and compounded that with blind research and slowed research... and then experienced gaming nirvana for about a week until I got bored. Shortly thereafter, the Jedi Knight pack was released on Steam and I'm currently playing through it.

I'll get back to AA in a couple weeks but I've said since the "reboot" began that even an alpha release was months away, and that was before I decided to rebuild the whole thing almost from scratch.

So, January is the earliest anything could possibly be ready, and March is probably a more reasonable expectation. As I said though, I've greatly increased the scope of the project, it's something else entirely now and I hope there aren't still people expecting me to come back with a -10% dmg to EMG and call it a new version. This is a very big project.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

three weeks of non-productivity and running, huh? I think you should probably just call it a day
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

Caydr wrote:(to combat the governor AI's fetish with them)
governor is for noobs

Anyway, this is pretty much why my policy is not to announce something until it's almost ready to ship.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I think you overlooked something though: That policy won't generate any false anticipation.

More seriously, if I show my face anywhere people ask if I'm working on AA again. A forum gives me the opportunity to put everything out there in one place, and I have always been very community-minded when developing AA in the past. If you read some of AA's old threads (there's about 250 pages of them) you'll see that I prefer to take the unconventional approach of actually discussing things with the user base rather than making high-level decisions only among a select few.

This results in a mod that more people can enjoy. Users in general feel involved in the development, which produces a strong sense of loyalty to the project. This way, there is a strong core player base to ensure there are always games running and populated.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Not always your greatest plan.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

KingRaptor wrote:Anyway, this is pretty much why my policy is not to announce something until it's almost ready to ship.
Indeed, i've seen too many projects dying or stalling, just because they announce it too early... and then they get tired of making it when they notice it takes longer than they expected, while everyone is crying every day when its ready, and they just give up and delete the project.
Gedanken

Post by Gedanken »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:three weeks of non-productivity and running, huh? I think you should probably just call it a day
KingRaptor wrote:Anyway, this is pretty much why my policy is not to announce something until it's almost ready to ship.
Das Bruce wrote:Not always your greatest plan.
TradeMark wrote:Indeed, i've seen too many projects dying or stalling, just because they announce it too early... and then they get tired of making it when they notice it takes longer than they expected, while everyone is crying every day when its ready, and they just give up and delete the project.
Wow some great encouragement itt

Return to “Caydr's Projects”