anyone still playing XTA?

Hearken back to the days of yore and enjoy the first major Spring module!

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Tim-the-maniac

Post by Tim-the-maniac »

What times?
MasterBel

Re: anyone still playing XTA?

Post by MasterBel »

I believe so. I haven't been playing myself so I don't know for sure.
Not sure when/where tho.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Nodaways we mainly play it four times a year at these LAN tournaments. Next one is in February I believe.

The problem is that the official server stopped supporting older versions of spring and nobody wants to update XTA to newer engine version, because of unnecessary changes in the engine that actually don't fix anything.
NTG

Post by NTG »

For as long as there's XTA game to play in :)
lfing

Post by lfing »

Cheers guys, long time no see! I have started to play it together with my ten year old son. He is very dedicated to it and learns impressively fast! One problem is that it is terribly unstable to play with a kid. For our purposes we would like to find out the most stable combination of spring engine and XTA version. For our LAN usage we will be happy with anything stable! Right now we are on spring 104.0 and XTA test-1340-66f22b5 (as used by Elderberry) and this is somewhat jerky. Is there a better combo and how shall I set up to work on a LAN?
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

The autohosts were shut down by abma, wer'e now playing other games mainly because it's so difficult to set up a working spring game.
malric

Post by malric »

While I liked XTA back in the day, I think nowadays zero-k offers a better overall experience (lobby, game, interface, single player, steam, community, etc.). Only thing I occasionally miss is the walking comm bomb.

Recently zero-k has easier support for modding (different game types based on zero-k) so with some adjustments maybe the same experience could be obtained (ex: add comm bomb, make some factories "level 2" by making more expensive, etc.)
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Jools wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 09:09 The autohosts were shut down by abma, wer'e now playing other games mainly because it's so difficult to set up a working spring game.
hu? no?

was it one of the autohosts running on the springrts.com server? if so, what was its name? i guess it needs just to be started / autostart on reboot needs to be fixed.

i always (tried at least to) ask if something is missing / broken after some migration. I can't remember a message / bug report / info about the missing xta host.

Return to “XTA”