Sea units

Sea units

Hearken back to the days of yore and enjoy the first major Spring module!

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

mongus

Sea units

Post by mongus »

As we have had several water map games, i cant but comment on the naval units changes.

As I have already told many times, several of the changes were to drastic for the rol the units used to play, and now they cant fullfill

Im talking about skeeters, t1 sea scouts

this ships used to be strong fast and good antiair resource for when you didnt have an archer at hand.

their main role is(was) to provide LOS for bigger ships like crusader, absorb damage, confuse torpedo boats by making evasive turns and to cripple any unit they come close to with the low range lasers/canons.

Actually, this role is greatly dimished, because of a drop in hp and manuverability, (i think they are slower now than before), and a bug or feature, keeps the ships breaking (slowing down) whenever you issue an order.

Anti air potential has dropped greatly with the use of non standard missile weapons.
Current missiles run out of fuel and fail to chase airships.

In xta, units are characterized for their survability, and usefulness
Ak, are weak, but good enough for getting close to other units and kill them close range.
Compare this to an BA ak, a useless unit that dies of a few hits.

This is what makes xta game more interesting, the units last longer and are more worthy of micro, than BA units which die by lots.

Even in that shape, skeeters are partially usefull for their old role.

However, we were talking with jools, and he told me you (the developers), where thinking in boosting the hp, which i think is good.
You could revise speed, turn rate from the old values, and incresae missile fuel (so it hits).

Crusaders on the other hand, have managed to keep useful despite the great hp drop, even if i liked the old ones better (OPOP!!, use 4 skeeters (old skeeters) and problem solved, cheap and easy).

About patroll ships

I dont use them they seem useless to me.

I would boost range by 25% in both weapons, also HP increase by 25% and cost change accordingly, in metal energy and bt.
Maybe boost the torpedo range a bit more, actually they are no copntest for subs.
Torpedo speed is a bit too fast.

In all sea units, the "breaking" uppon givign a new move order is a downer, they slow down and are easier to hit, making the micro of avoiding topedos useless.

So fixing that breaking is advised aswell.

What do the other players think?

I hope the feedback to be useful
Jools
XTA Developer

Re: Sea units

Post by Jools »

mongus wrote:However, we were talking with jools, and he told me you (the developers), where thinking in boosting the hp, which i think is good.
You could revise speed, turn rate from the old values, and incresae missile fuel (so it hits).
We could maybe increase scout ship hp by a little, they are a little weak now. But before the change they killed everything in their way. The change was by the way several years ago, I think we are talking before xta 9.6 or so.

We were discussing missile fuel of aa units such as jethros and defenders (missile towers): they seem to run out of fuel, therefore their missiles never reach full speed, thus not hitting fast flying planes.

Skeeter/Searcher missiles have flight time = 4 seconds. That should be enough in terms of fuel.

Edit: increasing hp would also make the no-wreck problem smaller.
mongus

Re: Sea units

Post by mongus »

About scout ships, i think an increase in HP of 30% is a good measure.

If you increase it too little will be the same as nothing.

Im not sure about increasing the cost, as i dont recall what it used to be.

Return to “XTA”