Air repair pad can move and patrol

Hearken back to the days of yore and enjoy the first major Spring module!

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

What does a move order to the air repair pad do? It doesnt send repaired aircraft to the desired point.
Silentwings

Re: Air repair pad can move and patrol

Post by Silentwings »

I guess it gives a move order to aircraft exiting the repairpad, same way as move orders work for factories.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I tested that, it doesn't.

Trying to remove it in unitdef, setting canMove to false doesn't work. I guess the engine overrides it somewhere.
a1983

Post by a1983 »

In nota mod same. Why solars, nuclear fusion powerplant, storages can repeat, stop and wait? Wait for what? It will be cool to remove that strange commands.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I made a gadget that cleans the command menu of unnecessary commmands. I did add unit names manually, it's hard to device a general logic.

http://code.google.com/p/xta-springrts/ ... mmands.lua
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Don't solars have an on/off switch?

(idk, maybe xta radars and stuff also have one)

Then you could tell them to "stop getting turned off", and "repeat on/off", huh, totally valid!
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Yes, they have on/off switch. Many units have off-switches that fullfil a function. For exaple, airplants turn off their radar when plant is turned off.

But stop and wait acts on an order, not on a switch. I don't see what you men.

Antinukes also had a wait/stop command that I removed. Ideally, you could use the stop to tell it to "abort current stockpile" and wait to "pause current stockpile". But I don't know how to access the stockpiling function. It's not a normal build process and it has no callin.

On the other hand, reducing the requested amount of stockpile to existing level pauses the stockpiling process, but the wait command does not do this.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

But I don't know how to access the stockpiling function. It's not a normal build process and it has no callin.
One of recent changes to zk included priority buttons for both stockpile and morph, you could hijack that.
But stop and wait acts on an order, not on a switch. I don't see what you men.
Oh, i just thought the act of flipping that switch was actually a command that unit received that told it to switch to the other state. If so, any unit that had any orders it could receive would naturally be able to repeat, abort, and wait on those orders.

Do solars start repeatedly turning on and off if you repeat and toggle? :P I'm just trying to find some sense here.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

No, repeat works on orders in command queue. For example, if you tell unit to:
1) Walk to spot 10.00 N, 20.00 E
2) Walk to spot 40.00 N, 10.00 E
3) Wank
4) Repair unit X

Then a repeat switch works like the repeat on your cd-player, it will do 1 to 4 and then go back to 1 again, etc.

So the further qwuestion is, if a unit can only move (and not attack or guard), will it need a repeat switch? Wouldn't patrol be exactly the same thing?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Isn't patrol more like a repeat fight? That is, a move that stops to attack any enemy in range.

But otherwise yeah, I'm pretty sure patrol is a leftover from the days before the invention of the repeat button.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

zwzsg wrote:Isn't patrol more like a repeat fight? That is, a move that stops to attack any enemy in range.
I think that depends on the move orders: if it's on manoeuvre, then it's like fight, if it's on hold position, then it's like move. I think.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Isn't patrol more like a repeat fight?
With a fight order, by comparison to a patrol order, iirc units get distracted (by e.g. things to fire at/fight along the way) much less on the way towards the point/unit at which the fight order was placed.

Also, I think a patrol order only repeats movement commands whereas 'repeat on' repeats all orders. I expect there are other small differences too.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Silentwings wrote: Also, I think a patrol order only repeats movement commands whereas 'repeat on' repeats all orders. I expect there are other small differences too.
Yes, true. But for unit's that can't attack or fight or guard (like the spy), the move is the only command, so patrol becomes synonymous.
pintle

Post by pintle »

If you are touching repair pads. They are tagged as builders, or at least were. Idle builder bind cycles repair pads, which gets really old, really fast :)
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I tried setting "isbuilder" tag to false, and also setting buildradius to 0. The are still included in the cycle.

Does anyone even use repairpads? Imo they have become quite obsolete after units are autorepairing automatically.

Another problem with repair pads is the default action when pointing them with planes: it's guard. The default action should be to "land" or something.
pintle

Post by pintle »

I used to use them extensively, but i had a heavy preference for air in larger games. Has air autorepair been substantially buffed recently? (why?)

Carriers are also idle builder selectable.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Seems so pintle, I also noticed that. Both in xta and ba the repairs is instantaneous. Dunno why, but maybe it is merited. Who uses airpads otherwise when you can just have the planes land and stand still for same effect.

Return to “XTA”