xta / rapid

xta / rapid

Hearken back to the days of yore and enjoy the first major Spring module!

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

abma
Spring Developer

xta / rapid

Post by abma »

why isn't latest xta available in rapid?

xta:latest points to XTA 9.71 and that seems to be a quiet old version. XTA 9.725p1.7 is current i guess?!
Jools
XTA Developer

Re: xta / rapid

Post by Jools »

Does anyone know who has access to rapid?
knorke

Post by knorke »

acess to rapid is per game, so I can not for example use my springtanks account to upload xta.
xta rapid account is appearently lost.
I have written det a forum message if he can reset/make new account.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

i've access, too. if det doesn't respond i'll try to set it up...
knorke

Post by knorke »

i got the password from car.
(will give to anyone who asks/needs)

But before anyone uploads anything we should think how we upload, maybe like this:
mod :arrow: xta:stable
patch :arrow: xta:latestpatch

Or do away with patches?
Filesize arguement does not count imo, XTA is only 20-30 MB anyway.
I think redownloading everything multiple times is not that bad here, as with say 0k which is >200MB

Btw some time ago patches were like this:
XTAPEv9725p0.9.sdz :arrow: 2 MB
now is like this:
XTAPEv9725p1.8.sdz :arrow: 20,4MB
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

@knorke:

uhm.... no! this is not how rapid works. you should or have to make "single" files. also, i heavily suggest to use svn so every commit automaticly is available on rapid, anything else makes no sense imo.
knorke

Post by knorke »

There is SVN: http://code.google.com/p/xta-springrts/source/list

But I do not think having latest commit on rapid is a good idea. It might lead to a situation like in CA where you always had to get a new version each time you logged in.
The thing with patches is that is that downloading them via browser will always work, any lobby, any OS, anyone knows how it works or it is easy to explain.
I think if rapid was required, many players would be left out.
Does rapid now allow depends? Then both could be used...

When patches were smaller, they made sense. Now it is a bit silly, but maybe it just needs a new "stable" release so that patches are 1 MB sized again.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

@knorke:

http://packages.springrts.com/builds/
these files are created when a "stable" release is made and automaticly pushed to springfiles

i guess you still don't see how many time a game dev can safe when they have not to pack and upload files.

also, its up on the autohost admin to decide which version to use.

in short: patches suck, because they are much work for devs and users.
knorke

Post by knorke »

http://packages.springrts.com/builds/
these files are created when a "stable" release is made and automaticly pushed to springfiles
By "stable" you mean using modname:stable? Because some time ago I was wondering how to get springtanks on there and could not figure it not.
i guess you still don't see how many time a game dev can safe when they have not to pack and upload files.
Maybe a little barrier for release is sometimes a good thing. ;)
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

The patches are large now because there has been a lot of redesign since XTA 9.725, and that's what they all depend on. We should not be afraid of reaching XTA 10.0, so continuing this way is a bit stupid.

Stable version could be with 2 decimals, like XTA 9.73 as the next one, and 'patches', 'beta', 'composite', 'amalgam' or other similarly sounding versions could be with one decimal more, like XTA 9.731, or maybe XTA 9.73.1 -- because then we could extend that to say XTA 9.73.15, if it's difficult to agree on a stable version. Would it be a problem to have two points in the name?
knorke

Post by knorke »

the patches are large because since ~1.6 there are tons of .wav files in the patch that could finally move to base mod

just make xta10 instead of 9.73.15
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Whatever, the important thing is to be consequent (and to not try to prove that there exist some kind of natural limit value to xta versioning as t -> inf)
Deadnight Warrior

Post by Deadnight Warrior »

Noruas (or was it det, dunno) gave me his XTA rapid account before he moved on from Spring, and I gave it to Jools too, just that he forgot it again.

The last patch (1.7) contains a huge amount of needless .wavs and images (all of them already present in 9.725 to which it's depending upon), I've checked it myself and found out that it could be 5.6MB and not 16.4MB as it is. Most of those 5.6MB are MrD's models for CORE Aircraft plant, Adv. vehicle plant, Cobra and Copperhead and their respective textures.

Also, there where several balance changes made, all of which are not on SVN as we still haven't agreed on which ones to keep. And since I'm not the XTA forum mod, I can't start polls for balance changes. Something I wanted to do in past but couldn't as I don't have enough forum permissions.

About the version numbers, I'm against moving onto 10.0 before we replace all the models with new ones (dunno where we would get them, as BAR models aren't for other *A games). And there are plenty of numbers left till 10.0, if my math serves me right, 26 more stable versions with 9.xx
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I may have written down the credentials to xta rapid, but I didn't bother searching for them, so I said I lost them.

I think DNW should have forum permissions, or if not possible then let knorke start a poll. We need that because there are many things that affect balance that is up on the table.

About the versioning: it's just numbers, they don't really have to mean anything. But if we are afraid of hiottring 10, then just add a second decimal point. Problem solved. But I'm tired of these beta/patch suffixes...
knorke

Post by knorke »

polls for balance changes
any registered account can vote, not just xta players. so that wouldnt work.
imo just make thread and people can write yes,no or other opinion.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

i've added the xta svn repo to rapid.

to make it fully work you've to change modinfo.lua:

http://code.google.com/p/xta-springrts/ ... odinfo.lua

change the line

Code: Select all

version='9 SVN',
to

version='$VERSION',
and then you can make a release when you make a commit with the commit message, for example:

VERSION{9.74}
see http://springrts.com/wiki/Rapid#creating_a_release for more details.

RevisionNinja is configured to write a message in #xta when a commit to svn is made & it was added to rapid.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

That's nice. I always have wanted to have something like the Revision ninja. But some questions:

* Do we still just commit to the svn and put a message in the commit such as VERSION{x.xx}. Then it goes to rapid and to Revisioninja?

* Can you commit to the svn without propagating to rapid? I mean in case of small changes or something that's being tested, in that case you would not want to release it yet. It would be nice to have all commits going to Revisioninja and only the ones we specifically mark as releases with version tag to go to rapid. This is because I would not like to have this situation:
knorke wrote: But I do not think having latest commit on rapid is a good idea. It might lead to a situation like in CA where you always had to get a new version each time you logged in.
gajop

Post by gajop »

The point of rapid's svn support is to allow easier multiplayer testing of dev versions.
You aren't going to test on an old version now, are you?
knorke

Post by knorke »

A :stable is only made if you do the VERSION{x.xx} thing.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

So if we don't do the version thing, then a :test version is made? And we could put up an autohost to only host the test version? That would be useful.

Return to “XTA”