Thank you Raar and Braindamage and Deadnight Warrior - Page 2

Thank you Raar and Braindamage and Deadnight Warrior

Hearken back to the days of yore and enjoy the first major Spring module!

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

FaerieWithBoots

Re: Thank you Raar and Braindamage and Deadnight Warrior

Post by FaerieWithBoots »

the explosions of those vertical rockets is too much imo. You cannot see the units in the cloud they produce. And since ppl tend to spam rocket hovers lately this can get quiet annoying.

Same for flashes. If two players run at each other with >10 flashes it is hard to distinguish your own units from wrecks and opponents units.

In general, the explosion effect could be a bit smaller. But thats probably just me.
Deadnight Warrior

Post by Deadnight Warrior »

Noruas wrote: ------------------ by Deadnight Warrior
fixed the incorrect (UV fliped) textures on: CORE Silencer, CORE Light, Cloackable & Heavy Fusion Plant and ARM Mouse
Actually I introduced those errors in my first bugfix version, so compared to XTA 9.6 there are no changes. I simply wanted to imply that I fixed the errors I introduced myself.
FaerieWithBoots wrote:the explosions of those vertical rockets is too much imo. You cannot see the units in the cloud they produce. And since ppl tend to spam rocket hovers lately this can get quiet annoying.
You're quite right about that one, and those hovers have the same range as T2 rocket trucks which is way OP considering their price and mobility. Either reduce hover rockets range or increase the T2 truck one.
FaerieWithBoots

i wasnt considering any balance changes in this post. There are some other threads fot that. Thought this was mainly about XTAs graphical stuff
FaerieWithBoots

something else wich just crossed my mind; the hitsphere of windmills. They are big, too big imo. When you have some next to your lab, selecting the lab becomes hard somtimes. What do you thinkof giving them a cubical hitsphere?
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

could all rocket based units have a on off function to make them go from high traj to low.

I dont understand why hovers are only allowed this, considering their vastly cheaper than their truck counter parts and kbot.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

yeah.. please test it with a recent dev version of spring!
sadly.. the current installers generated by the buildbot are unusable, so you either have to compile spring yourself, or give your current XTA dev version to someone that has latest spring compiled, for testing.
if you have no one else, i can do that.

one other change except the modinfo.lua, is that you need to include a gadget to spawn the initial units yourself now, in case you did not have that already, cause spring does not do it anymore.
there is a sample version of such a gadget in the spring source.

Whoever will do the test for you on a dev version of spring has to make sure to NOT use the workaround that Tobi suggested, which is putting the sample spawn gadget into the base-files under LuaRules.
Deadnight Warrior

I played a little game of Pimp My XTA and produced a mutator that greatly increases sea stuff visuals, like:
All floating units and buildings rock on waves, all ships have an appropriate waterline tag, optimized all scripts, unit descriptions don't have double dashes "[Unitname] - - [Description]", some ships where missing a cannon recoil, etc.

XTA 9.602 Re-Pimped Sea

If you don't have XTA 9.602 you can get it here, details about XTA 9.602 are here

In a short time of a few days I've edited 59 FBIs and 57 BOS/COBs. If I see any more scripts I'm gonna start shooting people.
Last edited by Deadnight Warrior on 17 Jun 2010, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Deadnight Warrior wrote:unit descriptions don't have double dashes "[Unitname] - - [Description]", some ships where missing a cannon recoil, etc.
That's not a double dash, that's a double hyphen, which is probably used instead of a dash because spring doesn't include a real dash.

No offense and I know that everybody knows this, but here is the repetition of different dashes and hyphens (I checked with wikipedia):

"-" is a hyphen, used to separate syllables in words, or in compound adjectives such as a two-week holiday

"ÔÇô" is a (en-)dash, it's used between two numbers, e.g. 1776ÔÇô1779.

"ÔÇö" is a em-dash, used instead of parentheses on sentence level ÔÇö or to introduce a sudden pause or break in the sentence.

So to be correct, we should either use the en- or em-dash in spring between the unit name and description, either spaced or unspaced. Anything really except of a single hyphen.
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

Yataa Pimp my xta added.
Deadnight Warrior

Jools wrote:
Deadnight Warrior wrote:unit descriptions don't have double dashes "[Unitname] - - [Description]"
That's not a double dash, that's a double hyphen, which is probably used instead of a dash because spring doesn't include a real dash.
Well, thank you captain Obvious. You're forgetting that not all languages are using all the dash/hyphen combos, and that Spring engine itself puts a hyphen between [Unitname] and it's [Description] when it comes to tooltips window. So any description that starts with a dash/hyphen needs to be corrected.

To add more fuel to the fire, it's easier to type dash instead of hyphen, and I even didn't use a hyphen in "[Unitname] - - [Description]", but a minus sign instead, as I only have a minus "-" and an underscore "_" keys on my keyboard (actually it's the same key, "_" being shifted).

When it comes to Morse code, it's dash-dot-dot-dash, and I had that in mind when typing.

To sum it all up. Instead of making useless comments about someone's spelling and grammar, make an useful comment about the subject being discussed.
babbles

Post by babbles »

Deadnight Warrior wrote:To sum it all up. Instead of making useless comments about someone's spelling and grammar, make an useful comment about the subject being discussed.
I think it should be "make a useful".
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

It wasn't meant to be taken personally, and I tried really hard to not sound like a besserwisser, but apparently that's really hard to do when commenting language. So apologies if my text sounded critical.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

So...a.....hmm.....when's the new version coming out, and what else will it change?
Deadnight Warrior

All grammar, spelling, trolling and other things aside, I found some more errors while looking trough the infolog.txt
Some textures and sounds where missing and some sounds where buged, so I corrected that in this little patch.

Please, don't use any other sounds than mono, as the nature of a 3D engine is that all channels will be reproduced from the same spatial coordinates. That means that you'll actually hear all channels from that source downmixed into mono, even though they are stereo or more channeled. That said, it's a waste of space and CPU resources to process multichannel sounds. I'm not referring to ingame music but sound effects.

If you guys notice any further textures missing, I recommend you look for them in my UpSpring Texture Pack v2
Last edited by Deadnight Warrior on 17 Jun 2010, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

Thanks Deadnight warrior for all the fixes.
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

Sorry havent been around lately. Let us get this release over with...
Deadnight Warrior

I'm currently reworking my Pimp my XTA mutator, so that sea units will be even more pimped out. Also I've fixed that fail Jethros have while moving and not being able to open their missile racks to shoot.

Tobi made us that Spawner gadget we'll need for next Spring release. Comm_Option.lua should be disabled/deleted for that release as it's combined with the new spawner gadget.

The "work in progress" version can be found here.Test it and give some feedback please.
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

Doh i appeared to have missed downloading repimped version /:
Deadnight Warrior

After some time, I've finally finished my Pimp My XTA mutator.
This mod requires XTAPE 9.602

Things pimped/fixed:
  • All floating buildings and ships rock on waves (affected by wind direction)
  • Ships and some labs burn if damaged enough
  • Added/adjusted all 'waterline' FBI tags
  • Fixed and optimized animation script of all floating units and buildings
  • Added LUPS (LUa Particle System) for AirJet effects for non-hoverattack airplanes
  • LUPS are using zerver's fix for multi-threaded Spring
  • Many models fixed/tweaked to work better with new scripts/effects
  • Fixed Jethros shooting failiure when moving with closed missile rack
  • Samsons are now more willing to shoot than before (similar bug as with Jethros)
  • Fixed some sounds that caused warnings in infolog.txt
  • Added some missing textures
  • Added Tobi's 'Game Spawner' gadget for next Spring release
So, there you go Noruas. Your XTA has officialy been pimped.

For more details, read the README.TXT inside the archive.

If you don't have XTA 9.602 you can get it here, details about XTA 9.602 are here
Last edited by Deadnight Warrior on 19 Jun 2010, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

u rock :)

Return to “XTA”