Xta unit stats and balance tweaks (input for next version) - Page 10

Xta unit stats and balance tweaks (input for next version)

Hearken back to the days of yore and enjoy the first major Spring module!

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

babbles

Re: Xta unit stats and balance tweaks (input for next version)

Post by babbles »

They are imbalanced.

They have not been tested.

They fulfill useless roles.

They are not needed.

They would drastically change aspects of the game. (T1 mobile jammer, LOLOLOL)
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

tested xtaids in single player today, and have some stuff to say about it:
- models are a bit crude (too simple, the textures are too repetitive or not rotated correctly, stuff like that), or do not reflect the units strengths (the t1 paralyzer kbot is a big too big, the core advanced anti air vehicle's oversized missile box, the arm walker kbot's weapon doesn't fit the model, etc.). The core scorpion, for example, has claw lasers that can only shoot forward (or sideways, to a degree), yet the unit doesn't turn automatically to face its target with all its weapons if the enemies move to its sides or back : seems like a concept that just didn't work in practice.

from what i've seen, xtaids brings new concepts to the game:
- units with higher than normal dps/cost ratio at the expense of other ratios (speed, hp, etc.) (if they were balanced, which isn't the case of core's useless level 1 slicer tank)
- shielded tank that can take big amounts of punishment and regenerate quickly (that one is imba with the current stats, imo, if you let it charge the shield).
- heavy air units that would make air play more micro based, instead of having players massing something to flood an area or to do a kamikaze raid
- all terrain kbots with weapons that actually kill stuff

Btw, the level 1 radar jammer kbot has a jamming range of 280, a level 2 has 735, but it could be removed.

This to say that overall balance tweaks shouldn't exclude the introduction of a few units, if their models and animations were polished a bit and were made balanced. As a player, i don't mind having a few redundant units wth different "flavour" and sublte differences (magic the gathering's creatures are an example). The heavier units would encourage endings with different unit mixes rather than massing defenses and making expensive super-weapons (vulcan, krog, or even the nukes).
knorke

Post by knorke »

i was under the impression xtaids was just for lols and maybe fleabowl.
pintle

Post by pintle »

raaar wrote: As a player, i don't mind having a few redundant units
I hear there is this mod called "BA" that some people play...
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

Yes, but i preferred this one.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

XTAids are for lol, but there are some interesting units there, such as hovercraft mine layer. But I think it's a good option to have it as an optional lolpack, to distinguish it from ba, where the lol is on all the time and can't be shut down.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Jools wrote:XTAids are for lol, but there are some interesting units there, such as hovercraft mine layer. But I think it's a good option to have it as an optional lolpack, to distinguish it from ba, where the lol is on all the time and can't be shut down.
lol xta is so serious I could sing
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

I think this SVN thing should be around devoloping Xtaids as a good mutator, and not something that just pisses people off.

Personally, i love all of the added units, and would really like to see some make it into the real XTA.

Problem is that no one really gives any feed back other than LOL FUK OFF XTAIDS.

I know the core idea of XTA should stay, but id still like to see evolution of the game with added units.

It would also make it easier to test new unit models, textures ect, and not just throw them into a stable that might be around for a few months.

Maybe we could set up a autohost that would run Xtaids?
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

why is the arm transport hovercraft's max velocity 2.6 when the (cheaper) core equivalent's is 3.8?

PS:
i've been fooling around in single player using the cheat command...
spawn a hover transport and 4 enemy bulldogs. Use the hover to kidnap them. Then drop them on deep water (they become useless chunks of metal: can't move, can't shoot).
babbles

Post by babbles »

raaar wrote:why is the arm transport hovercraft's max velocity 2.6 when the (cheaper) core equivalent's is 3.8?

PS:
spawn a hover transport and 4 enemy bulldogs. Use the hover to kidnap them. Then drop them on deep water (they become useless chunks of metal: can't move, can't shoot).
Cool, I saw a cat today.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

babbles wrote:
raaar wrote:why is the arm transport hovercraft's max velocity 2.6 when the (cheaper) core equivalent's is 3.8?

PS:
Cool, I saw a cat today.
a cat? Cool!

after dumping the tanks into deep water, you can send a construction ship, make a sonar station, and then reclaim the helpless tanks!
babbles

Post by babbles »

self d
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

raaar wrote:bulldogs. drop them on deep water
knorke

Post by knorke »

JohannesH wrote:
Jools wrote:XTAids are for lol, but there are some interesting units there, such as hovercraft mine layer. But I think it's a good option to have it as an optional lolpack, to distinguish it from ba, where the lol is on all the time and can't be shut down.
lol xta is so serious I could sing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXFDm8DmuXA
xta is so serious i always blast this fuck full power and get totally pumped on the volume while shooting people in the face with a laser.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

i liked how you did that video, quite enjoyed split screen following coms at that speed.

Did i see your coms jumping in that game?
knorke

Post by knorke »

yea, its "ninja commander" option.
not sure if that is still in xta, those commanders also move faster than usual i think.
the video is actually ~1 year old but only now did i found out how to save it in a way that it is < 1 GB :roll:

Return to “XTA”