The Star Wars: Imperial Winter Eyecandy Thread [56k warning] - Page 26

The Star Wars: Imperial Winter Eyecandy Thread [56k warning]

A tense title presenting the period of frigid conflict under Imperial rule in the Star Wars universe at lightspeed.

Moderator: Content Developer

Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

In a one v one, I would expect to see possibly upwards of twenty. In a five v five on a grand Star Wars scale, you could conceivably see upwards of eighty in a force.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

That...?

How many polies and objs is it now!?

Jesus, I have a buggy that has like 30 damn parts and 2k polies because I just had to have the turret manned by an actual person. I cheated and got 100 of them and I lost about 5 or 6 fps. I did have full graphics on (cept for dynamic water, I had the third one) and I do have a 6600 GT.

It is not THAT big of a deal!
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Well, eighty in a force could go up to four hundred on screen in an absolute scenario.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

At a rough count, there are about 36 holes. 6 sided boxes in each of them = 216 extra faces. For a detail that cannot be seen unless specific effort is undertaken to have a look, it's definitely not worth it (From memory this was already pushing 2k polies, for a low tier unit. Not good!).

Having a look at some of the massive flaws in GPG's models in SupCom leads me to believe that the drive for perfection on every unit hampers your ability to 1) get more general texturing effects that more generally convey the feeling you are after with your textures, and 2) makes the texturing process significantly longer for minimal improvement on what is already, say, an 7-8/10 texture. The extra 2/10 may take you as long as it took you to get the first 8/10 at times, and the reward on an RTS scale is minimal. A couple of oohs and aahs from people in the know. That's it - the rest of the people are too busy playing games.

That being said, I think your morty looks super-hot :shock: - I'd just hate to have to make >100 units at that level of perfection - I'm looking at texturing the majority of 100 units in SWS unless we pick up another texxer, and a couple of months ago I'd never textured before in my life... >_<
smoth

Post by smoth »

it's cool, for people like me, holes like that are a gripe. Before I figured out the transparency/poly patch technique I would have modeled the hole. so I was happy to share the idea and maybe it will be usefull on something else for you. Either way, I can sympathize with your decision to let details like that by the wayside, I am a perfectionist guy and gundam would probably be more complete if I moved away from the anal detail stuff that I do. However, I can understand with starwars moving on to other things but I hope the idea is now known to you should you need to use it.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

No, I totally appreciate the advice, and no offense was intended by my post. You're obviously a more experienced and better texturer and I'm not so arrogant as to want to brush off that sort of help.

Besides, your perfectionism shows with the quality of your textures.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Time for a new piccie:

The Imperial Royal Guard. These are not standardly available units, and you can only access them under certain circumstances, which I won't reveal just yet.

As you can see, they use their shield to protect against laser fire, and when you get one (however that is >_>) they land in a meteor-like dropship.

Credits: Model by me (based off Gnome's stormtrooper model), map by UGO, texture by me.
Archangel of Death

Post by Archangel of Death »

Trikky lua stuff? Niiiiice.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I am going to say it once more.. the thighs are too long.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

You mean the upper leg? Yeah, it does look way too long, humans don't have their knees cut off where their boots start, heh.
Erom

Post by Erom »

I think the leg to body is right, though. Maybe just move the knees up the legs a tad? Would that change angles in the script?

It's a magnificent model, though. The skin is really nice, and the smoothing works really well.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Erom wrote:I think the leg to body is right, though. Maybe just move the knees up the legs a tad?
I agrea and no it won't mess up the script.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Actually it would a bit - you'd have to move piece origins up a tad with it. Shouldn't affect the texture though - at least not noticably
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Ok, we went and fixed the legs on all our infantry.

And by we, I most definitely do not mean me ;)
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Lackies ftw :P
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

In the spirit of my moonwalking stormtrooper from a while ago in this thread, I have but one thing to say:

Stop!

It's Hammer time!
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

EVER HEARD OF YOUTUBE? KTHXLOL
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I'm down with that. We need an Vanilla Ice character and a Marky Mark next.
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

Warlord Zsinj wrote: The Imperial Royal Guard. These are not standardly available units, and you can only access them under certain circumstances, which I won't reveal just yet.
conditions, ehh. you mean like, for every 50 units you kill on lands in your base type thing?
chillaaa

Post by chillaaa »

Zoy64 wrote:conditions, ehh. you mean like, for every 50 units you kill on lands in your base type thing?
No. Wait and see.

Return to “Star Wars: Imperial Winter”