Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help. - Page 16

Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help.

A tense title presenting the period of frigid conflict under Imperial rule in the Star Wars universe at lightspeed.

Moderator: Content Developer

smoth

Re: Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help.

Post by smoth »

TheFatController wrote:
Warlord Zsinj wrote:I've been having a lot of trouble with my graphics card and spring, has anyone tried a few games and seen what happens?
The most recent version I have from SVN is playable, the only major thing was a huge lag spike with the custom flag capture command on swarms of units, which I started to solve by rewriting it then ragequit over some missing Spring features..

I was wondering if I took the time to make an archive which I personally considered fit for a beta (once im done with BA7.60 this weekend) would you consider it? (I wouldn't release or share without permission and I'm not interested in changing unit balance as I've only ever actually played one online beta game but there's some good quick wins lookandfeel wise I believe I'd like to help with)
Warlord Zsinj wrote:TFC, yeah that'd be great. If we can get a couple of test games to play through without too much trouble I'd definitely be interested.
I'd say if he can get it together you should round up the old testers warlord. Doesn't your forum have a feature to email users? I am sure many would come back to spring just to test the new IW if there is one test ESP if there is potential for a beta release.

so....
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

abma; sorry, I've been very busy these last few days and haven't had a chance to respond to your post fully, I'll send you a PM shortly detailing the issues I'm having.
phas

Post by phas »

smoth wrote:
TheFatController wrote:
Warlord Zsinj wrote:I've been having a lot of trouble with my graphics card and spring, has anyone tried a few games and seen what happens?
The most recent version I have from SVN is playable, the only major thing was a huge lag spike with the custom flag capture command on swarms of units, which I started to solve by rewriting it then ragequit over some missing Spring features..

I was wondering if I took the time to make an archive which I personally considered fit for a beta (once im done with BA7.60 this weekend) would you consider it? (I wouldn't release or share without permission and I'm not interested in changing unit balance as I've only ever actually played one online beta game but there's some good quick wins lookandfeel wise I believe I'd like to help with)
Warlord Zsinj wrote:TFC, yeah that'd be great. If we can get a couple of test games to play through without too much trouble I'd definitely be interested.
I'd say if he can get it together you should round up the old testers warlord. Doesn't your forum have a feature to email users? I am sure many would come back to spring just to test the new IW if there is one test ESP if there is potential for a beta release.

so....
They probably got bored themself
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Who were the old testers and are they around? I never knew how many people were technically testers, I would guess around 10 to 20 people had access but that doesn't say anything for their activity. From my experience there were several people that would play a game occasionally but only Sak, Ivory and I really balance tested. At least we were the ones that played 1v1 and posted about balance.

I'd test IW if it ever goes anywhere, Ivory still hangs around on these forums so may play again and Sak is still around deving and playing ZK.

As I recall the metagame was around the point where we would rush T2 and spam the most powerful vehicle. I still remember that the paralysis system was severely broken for the weight of your vehicles so if anything ever happens here I'd add progressive slowdown style emp weapons and probably end up doing other lua too.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

reb v reb, the metagame had progressed a bunch.. but yeah, the imp game mostly came down to rushing out vehicles
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Back when SWIW worked it was not luarules reload safe, many gadgets would crash. This is a bit of a barrier as it makes gadget developing really really painful.

As far as the metagame went I think we were at the point where infantry didn't really possess anything powerful against vehicles. This is where a progressive slowdown emp weapon comes in. Was there something in the reb matchup that worked around this, did he end up addig that anti-tank gun rebel inf thing? I can't recall...
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

rebels had the missile trooper in the rax & snipers, plus the reb vs reb game was very aggressive, making it harder to tech. If you did get to vehicles, V-wing rush usually ended it. I remember it was just getting fun when everything stopped :(
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

We were exploring a bunch of possibilities with barracks built AT and snipers for rebs etc. IIRC imp v imp was a lot of fun, had a lot to do with deployment of ewebs though. But certainly it was playable enough for a 'demo' release.

Hopefully TFC will be able to pull something together.
phas

Post by phas »

lol @ "we are exploring"
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

read what I posted again before you reach for the faeces.
linuxboy

Post by linuxboy »

I have not been around for a while, and I come back to this forum, and I find more mayhem than when I left.

When I was posting before, I was just as impatient as everyone else. I hoped before that I could help people be more co-operative and helpful to the project so it could be finished faster. I realize I did hurt some feelings and was very annoying when I kept asking for further progress. Again, I sincerely apologize, and realize my errors. I was extremely rude.

Now, I return and feel I must side with Warlord, since no one else will, and because I feel that he does (as project director) have control over what happens to the game. Although I recognize the point some members of this thread have made that it is supposed to be open source, I at the same time feel Warlord's fear of releasing everything. I think his goal of releasing an epic star wars game could potentially fall apart if he released the source right now.

Personally I suggest Warlord should make it clear which parts of the game are "open" and which are not. It seems as if he wants his artwork to be protected, and that's fine (although not preferable in my opinion, but I don't want to open a can of worms). It is confusing however for the game to be called "open source" if the entire game is not. I hope he will take my suggestion seriously. It would clear up a lot of confusion.

I also find it rather annoying that people who have not contributed to this project speaking as if they have some sort of authority in the project team. I realize that I have not contributed, but I do not speak as if I have.

In addition, I find it hard to believe that Warlord will not let people help. When I asked a few months ago, he said that he would be perfectly willing for even a beginner like me to help! Do not falsely accuse Warlord of refusing help.

Honestly, I perfectly believe that Warlord is busy right now but still interested in the project.

For months people (including me) have been heckling Warlord for a release, and he has always given the same answer: no. He is serious about his answer, and I doubt that he will change his mind, no matter how much we keep up the barrage of posts.

Lastly, I really want to emphasize how frustrating this thread is. Reading through it, all I can see is misunderstanding, false accusations, finger pointing, bad language, complaining, and just general rudeness and unkindness. Are we really the bunch of jerks we sound like? Warlord is right when he says we are acting childish.

To sum up my ramblings: please be patient and offer help, instead of criticism.
smoth

Post by smoth »

16 days since last post.. I don't think anyone is being impatient.. in fact everyone stopped caring it seems, I know I did. I guess my point is that your rant is going to no one. The thread isn't going anywhere and frankly neither is swiw.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

something in here smells, know this smell, its when something is dead and dry rotting away under the floor. Now can we eat it?

You still could release the version you got, and see if anyone showed interest in the remains (certainly not I, doesent fit JWs style)

Still, i dont actually understand why you care for this smoth. It doesent even supply drama anymoar. Its yesterdays dreams.

Hell, even talking to Fang for another try on Expand and Experiment is more usefooling yourself. Remember sunspot? That guy that did a mod in 2 weeks? You can get beta this fast, if you are willing. There is not single line of code in this thread. This project died years ago. All thats left is a:
"I post the idea, you complete it." wearing its corpse as skinsuit for disguise. Hell i can do that too.

Helpzorz, im stuck with journeywar, someone code my stuff, i have lots of modells, but m afraid youll be stealing my intellocktuell pooperty.

Sorry, im just pissed, someone with your skills waste its time on this freeze dried corpse, instead of fixxing wiki or something else.
O ) _________
\ \ / _______/
\ \/ /
/ /\ \________
/ / \________\
0 )

PICASSO: ONLY GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE DEAD OR WELL CUT IT OUT MODERATION
Hentheden

Post by Hentheden »

The reason so many of us are (were) interested in this mod is because is showed the promise of being a true star wars rts (EAW doesn't count), the first one in many years. If you don't want people to reuse your work stick a creative commons license on it, not open source (as this implies you will let anyone use it). But seriously, we love this game and are waiting with great anticipation for it. The issue being, after reading this forum I, and I believe many others too, will have serious doubts about it ever coming out.

(This is a supportive message, attempting to show you that people still care. Another suggestion would be a page on moddb, as anyone (myself) could do that and it would give you a larger base to source fans from)
phas

Post by phas »

linuxboy wrote: I think his goal of releasing an epic star wars game could potentially fall apart if he released the source right now.
Would you please elaborate a realistic scenario when releasing the source code could bring "the game to fall apart"? Maybe with a real world example.
Hentheden

Post by Hentheden »

I believe it's time for that sad, sad word of doom.

Dead.
(sorry Warlord Zsinj) :(
smoth

Post by smoth »

You are too new here to declare anything dead.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

wow, hold it, everyone can tell stuff is dead, i mean the gravehill is 16 pages high
smoth

Post by smoth »

Dead implies it is gone forever. SWIW is gone until Warlord gets off his ass and makes it a priority.
Blackdutchie

Post by Blackdutchie »

Cryogenically frozen, then.
Close to dead. And dead if we don't get the technology to bring it back.

Return to “Star Wars: Imperial Winter”