Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help. - Page 3

Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help.

A tense title presenting the period of frigid conflict under Imperial rule in the Star Wars universe at lightspeed.

Moderator: Content Developer

KaiserJ
Community Representative

Re: Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help.

Post by KaiserJ »

i can make a mean chewbacca noise!

wauauauauauaurgh!
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

urdoinitrong
smoth

Post by smoth »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:smoth: Is chili UI something I can tackle, given no LUA knowledge?
Yes, and no. To do ui elements you do not really need to understand lua to get the data to show in said elements is a pain in the dick, you will have to be able to pass data from gadget to widget. It should not be terrible as most of your data is engine covered shit so there should be call for it. However, most lua coding slowdown is looking up functions for things and getting them correct.
Warlord Zsinj wrote:Any ideas with where to start with that?
You could get the gundam svn stuff to see luaui but the real challenge for you will be getting your gadget data to widgets for non-spring handled stuff in a way that doesn't burn fps.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

did u know most vehs sounds in star wars were distorted pigs voice ? wowowwOWOWwowwo, do theeeem
knorke

Post by knorke »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:Is chili UI something I can tackle, given no LUA knowledge?
No. There also is no guide on how to set up chili or even what files are needed. At least such things never appeared in similiar threads so you will have to use trial&error of copying over stuff and filtering what is framework/game specific. To remake your current UI in chili would take quite some time i guess.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

TFC wrote:The custom flag capturing command causes massive lag for me when commanding groups of units and they get near a flag.
This never occurred in other versions and I think it is the same capture code. I suspected it is this new bug in 0.82.7 http://springrts.com/mantis/view.php?id=2301.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I can add chilli knorke, I have access to the svn. I am not volunteering to do the ui work part of it.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

TFC: I wonder how many times the flag capture code has been rewritten... One thing that many testers were asking for was if it were possible to have an 'area capture' order, so if there were some way to do that, it would be awesome.

Unfortunately the bug doesn't appear to be related to zooming at all. I really don't get what the problem is. :/

Smoth: I understood about 50% of what you said so I think that counts as a Bad Start. I'm happy to give it a go if it's just a matter of exporting png's, labelling them appropriately in lua so that they behave right, getting them to lineup properly etc, but I really doubt my ability to do any remotely complex code.

Wombat: You're thinking of elephants. The TIE fighter noise came from elephants.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

maybe this one, but according to the interview with dude who made most SW sounds, majority were piggies :D
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:TFC: I wonder how many times the flag capture code has been rewritten...
If it's my rewrite in there, just once. If Maelstrom's name is still in it, that thing's had judicious Presidential Engineering applied to it over the years.
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

I fixed the double squad spawning thing and added a kind of fade in effect to the dropship graphics (forgot to make it blue this commit oops).
smoth

Post by smoth »

Keep in mind behe, the starwars buildings already do a sort of textural ground texture so the AO shadow would need to be applied to the already existing ground texture.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

My tool does just that - blends the AO onto the existing ground plates, while respecting both the color and alpha of existing plates. New ones are generated for ones that dont have pre-assigned plates.
smoth

Post by smoth »

ah so you don't have to do that extra step, cool
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

FLOZi: If you have the time, go ahead and add the S44 "I'm building this" lines. We can always make them visually more appealing or star-warsy later, for the moment I think they're a much-needed UI element.

Behe: One issue is that in many of the existing factory baseplate bitmaps, I manually faked in occlusion with a paintbrush. Would your system make these shadows really dark and look strange?
Also, I recall there being some discussion about the performance cost of this. If there's no serious performance loss, then I've got no problems adding this.
Seeing as you're still technically on the team as a mapper, I've got no problem sending you SVN details to give it a go. Check your inbox.

Knorke: Gnomre has uploaded the walker build, which includes all of the Imperial heavy walkers (except the ATAT). It is a separate build dependent on swiw.sdd, so you need to go to the root menu in the SVN to find it. Could you have a look at the walkers and see if you'd be interested in trying to animate them? (try /giving yourself an imp_w_atst or imp_w_atxt )
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Send me the original plates without the fake brush then :D
Pako

Post by Pako »

smoth wrote:I can add chilli knorke, I have access to the svn. I am not volunteering to do the ui work part of it.
I can do Chili UI, if no-one else wants to work with it. First I just need to play the game for few weeks to see how the player works.

I have already failed to get chili working with BA twice but I can't fail thrice. Actually I'm still been using the standard UI for playing because the other UI's are just worse but I'm sure I can do better.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Great Pako. Let me know when you need the PSD files for the GUI.

There's a gameplay manual for the beta here: http://forums.imperialwinter.com/index.php?topic=74.0
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

If you need any smexy 2d graphics be it icons, GUI elements or w/e, drop me a PM.

Return to “Star Wars: Imperial Winter”