Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help. - Page 13

Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help.

A tense title presenting the period of frigid conflict under Imperial rule in the Star Wars universe at lightspeed.

Moderator: Content Developer

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help.

Post by Forboding Angel »

AF wrote: The current Rota of Warlord Zsinj Excuses
  • I lack the time
    Then delegate
  • I only ever wanted to be the game designer
    You still are, this is a nonissue
  • Im scared people will fork the project
    Then you've already proven yourself wrong. The people most likely to fork your game ALREADY HAVE IT. Therefore, you loose nothing by making a public SVN, as the people you're hiding it from, already have access.
  • Im scared of loosing control
    The people who you are most likely to loose control to, are already in the perfect position to wrench it from you. Yet they haven't. Even then, the most effective method of retaining control, is a release.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Please Zsinj, dont even think about introducing a counter threatening to exterminate the whole project if people post further "suggestions" for your project.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

very_bad_soldier wrote:Please Zsinj, dont even think about introducing a counter threatening to exterminate the whole project if people post further "suggestions" for your project.
Not possible, several people have copies of the SVN on their harddrives.

And anyway, even Zsinj isn't *that* much of a douche :-) :wink:
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I wouldn't even consider doing that, I'm just not getting involved in the childishness that seems to have descended upon this thread. And not only from the frothing morons that lurk on these forums, but actually from some of the people I respect the most around here.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:I wouldn't even consider doing that, I'm just not getting involved in the childishness that seems to have descended upon this thread. And not only from the frothing morons that lurk on these forums, but actually from some of the people I respect the most around here.
Perhaps you should reconsider your position if so many people think you're the one being childish, :wink: :?:
smoth

Post by smoth »

"you're childish" is a weak defense of a position. I am not entirely sure what level of personal investment you have with IW. However, you have the talents of MANY MANY others involved in your project. It isn't really your baby. It's ok, I have given near all of my free time for the past six years to gundam and with much less help have surpassed your project. Not because I am so talented but because I recognized when there were others who can help me.

KDR was a talented individual who understood what I was trying to do and when I invited him to help. he did not disappoint. the research system, economy and basic ability system were his doing. He gave me a handful of models that I converted a bit but were still pretty good to begin with.

Zwzsg gave me a single player and menu! along with a king of the hill game mode I have not really added in yet :P

JK, through ca gave me chili and LUPS

quantum gave me chickens
and ftc gave me a more diverse version.

aegis and lurker gave me help with random bits of info.

in all of this, lups and chili are the only things I have not modified. Z's single player menu will eventually be chilified and his single player stuff augmented.

my point. That even with all of this help gundam is still largely 80% or more my work. I have put in heart and soul into it. Yet I have no real issue with putting the svn out there. Why? because it is just source files. They can get that from any release. I just don't advertise the svn because I like to surprise with releases.

You have the effort of many many talented individuals, a team that dwarfs my little one man show and as much as I have been able to gather occasional help you have squandered the talent that has flocked to your project. People stopped helping because you stopped overseeing the project. You have effectively told them these past 2 years that they have wasted their time on your project. So calling us childish? seems pretty weak. I know what it is like to be busy, I make time though. In the time I was laid off, I traveled 13 countries, moved across states, put out feature placer, the map options code and several releases. I actually then moved again and now work in new orleans with a daily commute of 1hour + and I have to study and pass my MPC exams while doing all of this... yet: http://www.indiedb.com/games/gundam-rts ... undam-work I still work on things. No matter how small I keep going.

so I see you as a procrastinator full of excuses on why you cannot do something with none of the honestly to just admit, you really are not interested in working on this. If you were, you would find a way.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

There's a large difference between discussing options of getting the game out to the public in a reasonable state, compared with flogging me as some sort of pariah. Once people have hopped off their various high horses, maybe we can discuss some ways for me to get the work out.

And I certainly don't take credit for IW - the most beautiful art in the game is from Lynx (and vassago I guess), and the whole thing wouldn't be a game at all without gnomre's hard work, along with many others. But I did do a lot of work on it and I do have a lot invested in it that I'd rather not see some schmuck like Yan cobble together some bastardisation of the game from the SVN and release it to the public. I'd ideally like to see it released as some sort of demo. If I could get it to the point where people could play each other as they were towards the end of the beta then I would be happy to release that as some sort of demo. Honestly in the time you've all spent bawwing at me I reckon half the work could have been completed. I've been having a lot of trouble with my graphics card and spring, has anyone tried a few games and seen what happens?

(And for the love of god stop the lectures, I find the walls of text dripping with didactics vaguely insulting but mainly onerous)
smoth

Post by smoth »

Yan would do that anyway. The only thing stopping him is that he would be reported and downloads pulled. even then, most people would at worst try his shit and hate it. It has always been that way. for me, for gundam, I will eventually post a new release with new wizbang features and I am a big enough dick to do something to break people's gundam mods :) in an obscure way just to piss them off. so there is always that option. the engine route.

I keep asking, a very simple question which you keep ignoring. WHAT IS REALLY KEEPING IT FROM RELEASE? What is actually broken? Not what do you want pie in the sky, what is actually broken? I cannot go play bug hunt for you, my time is too busy and frankly it pisses me off that I am frequently testing stuff for people who will NEVER return the favor for me. so grab some people give them the svn and tell them go hunt red October. come back with bugs lists and see what can be addressed. this is something you can do with or without a pc that can run spring.
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:I've been having a lot of trouble with my graphics card and spring, has anyone tried a few games and seen what happens?
The most recent version I have from SVN is playable, the only major thing was a huge lag spike with the custom flag capture command on swarms of units, which I started to solve by rewriting it then ragequit over some missing Spring features..

I was wondering if I took the time to make an archive which I personally considered fit for a beta (once im done with BA7.60 this weekend) would you consider it? (I wouldn't release or share without permission and I'm not interested in changing unit balance as I've only ever actually played one online beta game but there's some good quick wins lookandfeel wise I believe I'd like to help with)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

AF wrote: The current Rota of Warlord Zsinj Excuses
  • I lack the time
    Then delegate
  • I only ever wanted to be the game designer
    You still are, this is a nonissue
  • Im scared people will fork the project
    Then you've already proven yourself wrong. The people most likely to fork your game ALREADY HAVE IT. Therefore, you loose nothing by making a public SVN, as the people you're hiding it from, already have access.
  • Im scared of loosing control
    The people who you are most likely to loose control to, are already in the perfect position to wrench it from you. Yet they haven't. Even then, the most effective method of retaining control, is a release.
  • You lot are childish
    This is completely unrelated and a debatable statement, this can only be seen as you being too proud to be arsed, and is an untennable position.
    I advise you withdraw this arguement as an act of self respect
Updated rota

Your problem:

I, Zsinj, am incapable of doing work, have been incapable for a significant amount of time, and will continue to be incapable for a significant amount of time.

Given this, how shall I protect the integrity and momentum of my project from premature death by stagnation?

Your solution:

Encourage stagnation by enforcing secrecy and demanding control I am incapable of wielding effectively. This should ensure stagnation does not occur and the project progresses.

This sounds silly. If this is not your action plan, please tell us the correct answer, and what you intend to do to get things moving, because you've offered nothing concrete, you've just insulted a few people, baffled some, and made vague statements to others.

As the project lead, you should delegate.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I think that is exactly what he is looking for FTC.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

smoth wrote:I think that is exactly what he is looking for FTC.
That's two posts I've read of yours today stating "FTC". At first I thought it was a mistake but now? Fat The Controller? xD
smoth

Post by smoth »

FaTControler
TFC is read as team fortress classic
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

^ nice try
smoth

Post by smoth »

I really do think that is what warlord is looking for.

Things we know:
- he doesn't really know IW's state because he still has not resolved his spring issues with his pc.
- he lacks the ability to fix most of these apparently.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

smoth wrote:Yan would do that anyway. The only thing stopping him is that he would be reported and downloads pulled. even then, most people would at worst try his shit and hate it. It has always been that way. for me, for gundam, I will eventually post a new release with new wizbang features and I am a big enough dick to do something to break people's gundam mods :) in an obscure way just to piss them off. so there is always that option. the engine route.

I keep asking, a very simple question which you keep ignoring. WHAT IS REALLY KEEPING IT FROM RELEASE? What is actually broken? Not what do you want pie in the sky, what is actually broken? I cannot go play bug hunt for you, my time is too busy and frankly it pisses me off that I am frequently testing stuff for people who will NEVER return the favor for me. so grab some people give them the svn and tell them go hunt red October. come back with bugs lists and see what can be addressed. this is something you can do with or without a pc that can run spring.
You never ask people for testing, you lock yourself into your passworded gundamserver, and wait for people to brute force? Good luck with that.
smoth

Post by smoth »

If I am in the locked server I am probably working, not testing. Even when testing I lock the server because I don't want randdumbs joining asking me to come play dsd
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Tbh, imo AF keeps nailing it every time. Albeit, not very nicely, but more blunt and straight to the point which is more my style.

Warlord, I won't attempt to speak for anyone else (even though I am aware that my view is shared by many).

I remember when I was a freaking kid like 14 or 15 years old, TA comes out, not a hell of a lot later, SWTA vaporware is announced... repeatedly.

The SW:IW is announced here. Like in 2004 or some shit. About 2008 it's looking fucking nice.

In between the time that IW was originally announced. S44 was announced with many sides, and is fully playable. Gundam gets ported from TA and summarily redone like 5 times. EE gets made with 3 very unique sides and pretty much finished. EvoRTS is announced and advances with ruptured speed.

Where is IW during all this time? Sunbathing in a stagnant pond. I'm not even a SW nerd. Yeah, I like SW, I always thought that it was cheesy, but a cheesiness that I can appreciate. I don't even really care for episodes 4 5 and 6, never did. It wasn't till episode one that I became any more than mildly interested. What interested me in SW was a stupid shitty SW game I had back in the pentium 1 era, and then at one point I owned xwing (while imo it never held a candle to the wing commander series (entertaining fun fact, Mark Hammil plays the lead character (Christopher Blair) in the WC series), it was fun).

I say all that to say this. Until within the past 5 years I never even understood the SW universe, nor did I give a shit, but it looked cool and I always looked forward to SWTA, and then IW. I imagine real SW fans would be seething at you and company.

Me? I irritated at you because you're being a giant dripping vagina. I and others have told you over and over exactly what to do to keep your project out of evil clutches, but instead of acting on any of it, you shrivel up like a big pussy again and just start repeating the same whining that we have all heard for the past 15 fucking years.

Grow a fucking pair and take some action. You have a veritable army of gamedevs here willing and wanting to help you, which I myself would KILL to have that kind of support, but instead of using it, you just squander it.

It's insulting.

More accurately: I take it personally, as though you just spat in my face.
smoth

Post by smoth »

TheFatController wrote:
Warlord Zsinj wrote:I've been having a lot of trouble with my graphics card and spring, has anyone tried a few games and seen what happens?
The most recent version I have from SVN is playable, the only major thing was a huge lag spike with the custom flag capture command on swarms of units, which I started to solve by rewriting it then ragequit over some missing Spring features..

I was wondering if I took the time to make an archive which I personally considered fit for a beta (once im done with BA7.60 this weekend) would you consider it? (I wouldn't release or share without permission and I'm not interested in changing unit balance as I've only ever actually played one online beta game but there's some good quick wins lookandfeel wise I believe I'd like to help with)
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

TFC, yeah that'd be great. If we can get a couple of test games to play through without too much trouble I'd definitely be interested.

Return to “Star Wars: Imperial Winter”