suggestion about deployed guns

A late World War II game which attempts to balance historical realism with a tactically complex model of battle.

Moderator: Content Developer

LameFox

Post by LameFox »

When you deploy a gun (Heavy MG, AT cannon, Howitzer), could there be an option to do it without fortification (the sandbags and camo netting)?

Obviously this wouldn't be ideal in most cases for things like machineguns and antitank guns because it would offer less protection, but it might have some benefits under certain circumstances, like if you need to set up quickly (fighting with no protection is better than dying in the process of filling sandbags, right?) or, in the case of artillery pieces safely hidden away somewhere where sandbags aren't essential, you could have a "turn" command like tanks now have. This could allow them (if they are deployed, but not fortified) to rotate the whole gun to cover a different area, since the fortifications wouldn't be in the way.

No idea if anyone would really find that useful, or if it's too hard for what little benefit it might have, but I figured I might as well throw it out there.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Re: suggestion about deployed guns

Post by bobthedinosaur »

I kind of like the idea.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

That would be pretty interesting, and possibly useful. I don't believe it will make it into the next release even if we decide to do it, but we will consider it.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

the turn command could be used for deployed units even with sand bags. to me it feels annoying that when you want to turn a deployed unit, you have to undeploy it, wait till it is undeployed or come back just at the right time, and then tell it to deploy facing the new direction.
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

That was one of the reasons for the deploy thing - to limit fire arc so the guns can be flanked. Guns weren't deployable initially, they were (somewhat) mobile units which could be transported by trucks (like pack hows and leigs currently are).
LameFox

Post by LameFox »

I understand it would be weird for them to turn immediately, what I mean for the turn command is basically to reduce micromanaging them. For example if I am controlling an attack and using guns to support it, then I could just say "turn to cover here" and ignore them while they go about whatever preparations they need, instead of having to take them through the steps manually (since I can't seem to give shift commands to "undeploy, aim and deploy again").

Then there's more free time for things like "oh god, the tanks are shooting each other in the back again". :lol:
Blackdutchie

Post by Blackdutchie »

So, basically, this could all be solved with a turn command that makes them undeploy, then redeploy at the location of the turn command.
Something similar to NOTA's Mohocon 'Replace mex' thing, where it schedules two actions?
Those two actions would be undeploy, then redeploy.
LameFox

Post by LameFox »

For turning them, yes. I really have no idea what the easiest way to do it is, but in that case the inconvenience doesn't stem from the time it takes them as much as it does the time you're then not doing something more important. So, while I still think a sort of quick-deploy without fortification would come in handy at times, if it imbalances things with the guns being able to adjust faster, the ability to turn them at their current speed without micromanaging would be a nice compromise.

Return to “Spring: 1944”