S44 Air handling

S44 Air handling

A late World War II game which attempts to balance historical realism with a tactically complex model of battle.

Moderator: Content Developer

Gota

S44 Air handling

Post by Gota »

A suggestion for aircraft handling in s44.
Cause of S44 scale and the fact planes must die pretty quickly from flak and must have big turning arches to make them realistic(which makes them hard to micro and extremely susceptible to random incursions into enemy flak area and death) I propose the following way of handling aircraft:

AA and AA/land aircraft would not be controllable by the player directly.
A player would be able to build these planes in the aircraft tower like he does now and specify a single rally point.
All the AA and AA/land attack aircraft would circle at a high altitude above that rally point,above flak reach.
When a bomber (who is flying at a lower altitude and can be hit by flak) approaches, these aircraft come down and intercept it,if it is flying near their rally point.
AA and AA/land aircraft rally point could be changed at any time making the planes move and circle above the new point.
All AA AA/land aircraft will have fuel and when their fuel is out they will have to go out of the map for x time and than come back.

If there are 2 enemy AA plane groups they might meet and start a dogfight.

Bombers will not be controlled at all.
You make a bomber or many and give them an attack order on a target or map location.The bomber will go there, drop bombs, and immediately attempt to go back.
If the bomber succeeds you can use it after a certain time delay if not you must make a new one.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Re: S44 Air handling

Post by bobthedinosaur »

I don't like the building idea. But more options for plane sorties would be cool. Bombing runs should be expensive, but worth it if you can afford it.
Godde

Post by Godde »

bobthedinosaur wrote:I don't like the building idea.
Building idea? What do you mean?
bobthedinosaur wrote: But more options for plane sorties would be cool. Bombing runs should be expensive, but worth it if you can afford it.
I guess you mean heavier bombers than Fighter bombers. Fighter bombers are quite costeffective against tanks and buildings if they make a succesfull attack and make it back.

Heavier bombers would almost be impossible to stop under most conditions. If the heavy bombers would spawn a long way outside of the map border and could be targeted by Fighters they could propably be countered. In the current release the germans have the V1 which can't really be countered. V1 is only costeffective if you are lucky or if the enemy has his buildings placed too close to eachother. Bases are usually spread out anyway because of the threat of artillery.

JAL made a mutator which includes the british Mosquito. It could propably be classed as a light-bomber or fighterbomber. http://www.spring1944.net/phpBB3/viewto ... ?f=6&=1141
Because of the high speed and altitude it is hard to intercept and flak are almost useless. The cost was set high, 16000 for 2 bombers, and in order for it to be costeffecive you have to use it against expensive buildings such as tankyards or storages.

Getting a good balance of counters against bombers would be needed if we are to make them more than "expensive artillery".
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

I've been playing with the air sorties and when i made my own cruise missile I get this error in the script,
[f=0003506] CobError: stack not large enough, need: 1, have: 0 (too few arguments passed to function?) (in scripts/vtolcrumis.cob:Falling at aa)
which I've never seen one like this before. :shock: Any ideas?

bos:

Code: Select all

#define TAK

#include "constants.h"

piece  base, mis, flare;

static-var isFalling, bmoving;

#define SIG_BANK 				2

SmokeUnit(healthpercent, sleeptime, smoketype)
{
	while( get BUILD_PERCENT_LEFT )
	{
		sleep 400;
	}
	while( TRUE )
	{
		healthpercent = get HEALTH;
		if( healthpercent < 66 )
		{
			smoketype = 256 | 2;
			if( Rand( 1, 66 ) < healthpercent )
			{
				smoketype = 256 | 1;
			}
			emit-sfx smoketype from base;
		}
		sleeptime = healthpercent * 50;
		if( sleeptime < 200 )
		{
			sleeptime = 200;
		}
		sleep sleeptime;
	}
}

drone()
{
	while(bmoving == 1)
	{
	play-sound("JET1",300);	
	sleep 1000; 
	play-sound("JET2",300);	
	sleep 1000; 
	play-sound("JET3",300);	
	sleep 1000; 
	play-sound("JET4",300);	
	sleep 1000; 
	play-sound("JET5",300);	
	sleep 1000; 
	play-sound("JET6",300);	
	sleep 600; 	
	}
}	

ExhaustSmoke()
{
	while(!isFalling)
	{
		sleep 30;
		emit-sfx 1024 from flare;
		bmoving = 1;
	}
	bmoving = 0;
}

Falling() 
{
	isFalling = 1;
}

Create()
{
	start-script SmokeUnit();
	start-script ExhaustSmoke();
	start-script drone();
}

SweetSpot(piecenum)
{
	piecenum = base;
}

Killed(severity, corpsetype)
{
	set CRASHING to 1;	
}
Also why are sorties ignored by unitrestrict?
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

[18:48:06] <bobthedinosaur> floz i got it
[18:48:15] <bobthedinosaur> if i complile the bos in s44 it doesnt happen
[18:48:26] <bobthedinosaur> but compiling it elsewhere is a no
[18:48:32] <bobthedinosaur> so yeay
[18:48:36] ** bobthedinosaur left the channel( Quit: Exiting ).
[18:48:38] <[S44]FLOZi> are you missing the constants.h?
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

no strangely enough i even took the s44 constants just in case they were different from my default ones and plopped them in the project's script folder and it gave me a big list of errors.

its annoying i know but at least i found a way to make it work.

the only thing that bugs me now is the inaccuracy of the cruiser missile. it 99% over shoots. even when I adjust the custom param cruisemissile accuracy to 1.

Return to “Spring: 1944”