BA engine 105 on official host

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

I saw someone mention that engine 105 might work on Mac again, if thats the case it could be good to upgrade ba to 105 and return to official lobby from springfightclub host.
MasterBel

Re: BA engine 105 on official host

Post by MasterBel »

Ares wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 12:20 I saw someone mention that engine 105 might work on Mac again, if thats the case it could be good to upgrade ba to 105 and return to official lobby from springfightclub host.
Spring 105 plans are in flux currently. Last I heard target OpenGL version is Core 4.3, which would not be Mac compatible (without re-writing the 4.3-reliant parts). I think someone mentioned a OpenGL core 3.1 version as a stepping-stone which could be Mac compatible. In theory.

Yes it would be awesome to be able to play Spring games on Mac with the latest versions again. It's just not likely to happen.

(Of course, they could choose to throw us a bone… here's to hoping :wink: )
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

How many players are there on Mac?

If Apple chooses to kill off OpenGL, then perhaps the best is to offer "Spring for Mac" as a GNU/Linux liveUSB.
Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

About 1/4 of our playerbase are mac users so 4 people.

BA wants to be a SpringRTS flagship game but we can't leave those long time players behind, some of them have 3000+ hours played on BA with us
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

ThinkSome wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 15:49 If Apple chooses to kill off OpenGL, then perhaps the best is to offer "Spring for Mac" as a GNU/Linux liveUSB.
Unfortunately, because Apple is Apple, this is quickly becoming less of an option.

I've a 2017 MBP and it has no hope of ever being fully supported – boot into Ubuntu and I have 0 sound.

Ofc if someone knows of a fix, please tell. It'll make me 2x as good at BAR :lol:

Plus not having to reboot is really really nice.
FabriceFABS

Post by FabriceFABS »

MasterBel wrote: 18 Jun 2020, 15:02 ...I've a 2017 MBP and it has no hope of ever being fully supported – boot into Ubuntu and I have 0 sound...
I am on Linux since 2006 with an initiation in 1998.
Personally, when there is a problem there is often a solution, Linux community is really important nowadays.

Did you look for 5 min or 1 hour to solve your sound problem ?
You have reported the problem on Linux forums ?
Did you try others distro ? Linux mint for instance, or anything else ?

What about virtualisation, did you try it ? VirtualBox, VMWare... ?
I suppose there is not enough FPS or it's laggy ?

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”