BA10 reskin

BA10 reskin

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

BA10 reskin

Post by Ares »

the BA10 team took down the BA site and redirect to BAR

However looking at the repo it seems this has been used as an opportunity to sweep the problems with BA10 under the rug and continue business as normal. Even changes Doo made to sea have been included. The team page shows all the familiar names from BA10 Discord and no one representative of what was the actual playerbase
Beherith wrote: 23 Jan 2012, 16:07 Related balance changes will be extremely minor.
This is the BA10 team and BA10 balance the community rejected. BAR should be preserving the real legacy of BA and shouldn’t be run by the people who left BA's loyal and longstanding players for dead. BAR shouldn't be a derivative of BA10 and BA10 team should not be entrusted BAR. BAR was supposed to honour the legacy of BA, not become a pet project for a few guys on discord that never even played.
Last edited by Ares on 31 Dec 2019, 06:44, edited 1 time in total.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: BA10 reskin

Post by Forboding Angel »

https://images.app.goo.gl/TEjz8DQp4DGr8ewD8

Please avoid making posts containing only provocative images and no constructive content. Be wary of Felony 2 (Silentwings)
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

As a fork of BA10, the new iteration of BAR should follow https://springrts.com/wiki/Licenses_Forking_Mutators. In particular it shouldn't advertise from within BAs infra without permission (so this will be looked into).

edit: This was fixed, thanks to IceX.

sweep the problems with BA10 under the rug and continue business as normal
This doesn't seem right - for example, they run no autohosts and offer no downloads atm which is hardly "business as normal" - but I don't know in much detail what their plans are.

Beherith wrote: 23 Jan 2012, 16:07 Related balance changes will be extremely minor.
BAR was supposed to honour the legacy of BA
This was discussed some time ago since I also felt this and other related objections, and the compromise that was agreed is that "BAR" takes the name "Beyond All Reason" and doens't claim to be part of "Balanced Annihilation".

None of the original BAR developers plan to work on https://github.com/balanced-annihilation-reloaded, speaking for the original BAR devs I don't object to sharing a 3 letter acronym; the repository of the new fork is https://github.com/beyond-all-reason. The original models are used/improved (but without any of the rest of Behes/my/Funkencool's old project, afaics) so this seems a fair compromise to me.
PtaQ

Post by PtaQ »

This wasn't without permission. On the other hand it shouldnt be done like that of course. It got sorted out now.

Regarding the "ba10 reskin" drama, as one of the ppl behind this project I can confirm Bluestone's explanation.

It called Beyond all Reason and it is a separate project aimed at a different audience.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

PtaQ wrote: 24 May 2019, 17:59 This wasn't without permission. On the other hand it shouldnt be done like that of course. It got sorted out now.
"http://balancedannihilation.com" redirects to "http://www.beyondallreason.info/ba" and it says "Unfortunately Balanced Annihilation (BA) doesn't have it's own website for now".
What happened? I remember BA having a website not so long ago.
Floris

Post by Floris »

A few months ago I told Shox that I wished to stop hosting the site, but would continue to do so for at least a few months. I then handed over the site files to him. So 2 days ago I came back to him with the question if he was planning on setting up a webserver. He wasnt and didnt thought it was really needed anymore as well. We agreed to terminate it. Then IceXuick suggested to forward it to the bar site because dead urls are a terrible thing SEO wise. Then we agreed to forward it.
Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

It looks like IceXuick doesn't care about the future of BA now and is happy to suggest using what's left of the BA website to generate some extra referrals to boost the SEO of his own project.

The entire BA10 dev team happily abandoned BA without fixing any of their mess, timed nicely to coincide with the banning of BA's most popular version. BAR is only aimed at a new audience to the extent it is a clone of BA10 repo with the BAR model option toggled to enable and the original player base has been left for dead.

Flow you promised you weren't going to be touching balance anyway, so there's no reason BAR would need to stray from its mission statement of being BA's long overdue graphical upgrade, unless something has really gone off-course.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Are you entirely too thick to delete everything in BA repo and copy and paste phoenix annihilation files into the repo then change the name to balanced annihilation in modinfo? Are you guys really this freaking dense?

PA is literally 9.46 made compatible with 104. What are you blathering on about. Go away, ffs.
Floris

Post by Floris »

Lets just ignore forb from now on... best for everybody
Floris

Post by Floris »

Ares wrote: 25 May 2019, 00:28
It looks like IceXuick doesn't care about the future of BA now and is happy to suggest using what's left of the BA website to generate some extra referrals to boost the SEO of his own project.

The entire BA10 dev team happily abandoned BA without fixing any of their mess, timed nicely to coincide with the banning of BA's most popular version. BAR is only aimed at a new audience to the extent it is a clone of BA10 repo with the BAR model option toggled to enable and the original player base has been left for dead.

Flow you promised you weren't going to be touching balance anyway, so there's no reason BAR would need to stray from its mission statement of being BA's long overdue graphical upgrade, unless something has really gone off-course.
I'll skip the accusations if you dont mind.

I don't feel confident enough about making hard statements about BAR yet. BA-remodelled didnt have a wide acceptance ratio among BA players to be consider replacing BA/ota models one day. Due to the conservative nature of the community there was little interest from devs to contribute much to it. BAR being its own entity has much more prospects than it being BA in that regard.
I personally don't think BAR gameplay needs to be really different from BA, but there is some room to reconcider aspects to facilitate a different target audience.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Forboding Angel wrote: 25 May 2019, 01:36 PA is literally 9.46 made compatible with 104. What are you blathering on about. Go away, ffs.
Would you tell me how many games of PA you played to come to this conclusion? You wouldn't make this statement repeatedely in different threads without something to back it up, right? Which engine did you use?
From what I've heard from different people who actually invested some time on it they stated that PA does *not* precisely resemble BA9 gameplay due to engine changes.

PS.
Feel free to leave out a bit of toxicity (which you hate so much) in your answer.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Wait, so the point of contention is not ba10x. The point of contention is that you want to use an old engine version. Moved the goalposts there a bit.

Best of luck to ya!
Sabutai

Post by Sabutai »

I can host the BA website
Bigfonzie2

Post by Bigfonzie2 »

I have no problem with BA going into different directions.

I feel change and development is interesting, and adds to improving BA and Spring Engine games.

However, BA community is very "conservative" as you have said, and generally dont like change.....

BA has been balanced to a high standard now, and i salute all the hard work and interest all developers for Spring have done.

Its an excellent project.

I would like to see the split community return back to the main "official" server eventually. Sooner, rather than later.

Peace and Blessings to all of you and your families.

BuY Bitcoin.

Peace

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”