BA10s "official letter" to Chris Taylor - Page 2

BA10s "official letter" to Chris Taylor

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: BA10s "official letter" to Chris Taylor

Post by Forboding Angel »

Well at that point it was past tense, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Duck

Post by Duck »

CT said that he is working on all screens RTS and want to implement some ideas from old TA and its mods. He knows about BA or any other mod, but he also said that they are not evolving.
1- a few stubborn individuals which will only play 9.46 and try to keep the 9.46 rooms going
2- a few dozen apathetic individuals which show no preference for the latest 10.x and will happily join 9.46 room if it has more players
Such a false statement from another guy who got no idea why players prefer BA9 over BA10.
With all his flaws I haven't seen him actually trying to harm BA. Maybe he did some work you guys don't like, but it seemed well intentioned.
Well we don't like forced ideas from devs who knows nothing about BA itself and on that thrashes community and his changes got even more hate. Maybe he isn't doing intentional harm, but he did it. We all can see that BA9 still most played version and even if you are not related with BA it's clear that here are reasons why players like it more than BA10.
[Fx]Doo

Post by [Fx]Doo »

Edit: moving message to the split thread that was just made.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Duck wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 11:19 Well we don't like forced ideas from devs who knows nothing about BA itself and on that thrashes community and his changes got even more hate. Maybe he isn't doing intentional harm, but he did it. We all can see that BA9 still most played version and even if you are not related with BA it's clear that here are reasons why players like it more than BA10.
Prove it. (And take this shit to the other thread)
PtaQ

Post by PtaQ »

Just for the record, there was no mention of writing an official letter to Chris Taylor on Discord.

There was an idea of contacting him as I have talked with him in the past about BA on fb. It was suggested just for the sake of checking his position on BA and asking for advice before eventually writing a letter to wargaming. All this was just a mere theoretical discussion and noone did or is going to do anything in this direction, unless we can first sort out the internal issues BA has with the supposed 'war' between 'devs' and 'players'.
Senna

Post by Senna »

Sorry but i had something to say there.

Whats the attitude of BA wich uses models, sounds, names and open code from copyrighted content (Cavedog now belongs to EA) against Article 13.

This is we all should worry off instead fighting each other i think.... Whats the matter of keep doing work if in next months whole spring will have to shut-down because of copyrighted content?

Link to political website removed - please avoid politics (and religion) on these forums. (Silentwings)
[Fx]Doo

Post by [Fx]Doo »

This is just my opinion - nothing official.
Models: Without remaking clean models from scratch, indeed there would be a serious copyright issue. I think that is the most problematic thing about BA.
Sounds: I am not convinced that the sounds OTA used aren't part of opensource soundbanks. I do think that after having heard many of the sounds OTA used for ie berthas, tachyons, lasers in several animes. It would need more information on this subject, but I believe it is possible that using OTA sounds would not pose a serious copyright infrigment issue?
[Actually just searched a little more, it seems it's not an open source soundbank but isn't cavedog's property either: http://designingsound.org/2010/12/01/de ... frank-bry/, the company would be: http://creativesounddesign.com/the-reco ... d-effects/]
Names: The names of the sides might be an issue, but I doubt unit names are. Many of them are fanmade, and for the part that aren't, we're talking about common use words rather than names. "Storm", "Slasher", "Samson", "Crasher". I might again be wrong, but i doubt these names can be and are copyrighted.
Code: What's left of the OTA code are prolly "only" parts of the unit scripts/animations. Redoing the scripts comes with remodelling, so as soon as new models are made the scripts aren't an issue.

All that leaves me thinking that the most critical thing that BA has to acheive [for the purpose of being free of copyrighted material] is a remodel+rescript of its units.

If anyone has more precise informations (mostly about the sounds), I would very much appreciate if you would tell us about it !
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

I think they call stuff like that a "derivative work":
https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/what ... yright-law

The paragraph "Who Can Produce Derivative Works?" is interesting and might be relevant for BA. I think the only really clean way would be to get direct permission from the copyright owners. But I am also not an expert. Feel free to correct me.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Dear Chris,
can you at least contact somebody to put the hammer down on this thing i love?
Sincerely - a bruiser

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”