The 9.54 test is not a test

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

Now that enough time has passed Flow is pitching 9.54 as a test. Nothing has been done to address the complaints already raised by the competitive community.

Interestingly, changelog contains "Flow resigned" but omits hundreds of game impacting changes let alone justifications.

Let me give an example:
Flow has added code into the game which looks for a player with my uniqueID and if found locks their volume and plays trolol song at max volume, rendering the game unplayable.

This does not demonstrate the level of maturity of a maintainer. Very sad to see the BA brand be hijacked like this by someone who is meant to be preserving a lasting legacy.

Unprecedented sweeping balance changes bundled together under the veil of an "alpha test" has effectively become a stepping point in achieving a point of no return for Forboding Angels agenda.

With a critical mass of 8v8 dsd players who lack change awareness or strong opinions either way this represents the tragic death of competitive 1v1 and 2v2 BA balance at the hands of developers like Forbs. A lead developer who never even spectates, let alone plays the game he has destroyed.
Floris

Re: The 9.54 test is not a test

Post by Floris »

At the time there wasn' t a way to get a testgame going at the most regular host like we usually did before... I only heard afterwards that it was because of trouble with offering spring features package on the particular Overkill host.

I thought the only way to get some testing done I decided to make a release and didn't think too much of it. My bad I guess, but I had my reasons for this.

Forboding Angel isn' t a BA developer.

While I greatly appreciated his assists and contributions.... I must admit that not all things add/changed were done polished enough or in the spirit of the current playerbase. Maybe he/we a bit overenthusiastic with some things. Thats why at the time it seemed a good idea to send out a 'test' version because of the vast number of changes, and reflect some back to the community. The testing helped me out a lot, but wasn't worth the drama in hindsight. Thats why I' m currently just going on fixing and polishing stuff until I feel comfortable enough to present it again.

Today people started to play 9.54 (from 7 december) again, so I directed that they rather play on latest version of the repository. That version hasn' t all problems addressed, but some feedback was welcome.

(I want the ACE host, the one hosting 9.54 gone, but I couldn' t contact Fabrice, he seemed vanished at the time)

moderators lock this tread plz? I don't want to necro old drama.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: The 9.54 test is not a test

Post by Forboding Angel »

Floris wrote:I must admit that not all things add/changed were done polished enough or in the spirit of the current playerbase. Maybe he/we a bit overenthusiastic with some things. Thats why at the time it seemed a good idea to send out a 'test' version because of the vast number of changes, and reflect some back to the community. The testing helped me out a lot, but wasn't worth the drama in hindsight. Thats why I' m currently just going on fixing and polishing stuff until I feel comfortable enough to present it again.
They weren't supposed to be released as is in a new version. We had talked and a new version of BA was off in the distance, so there was plenty of time to test stuff. That's why I put them behind modoptions in the first place. My reasoning being that if they are options, than people who are willing to test can. I had no idea that you would release a stable in order to get people to test. While an innocent enough thing, the both of us are still dealing with the fallout from it. People playing BA have absolutely no concept of testing, and I underestimated how incredibly toxic the BA community is.

Compare to Evo, where I have TONS of options. Players can tailor the game to play pretty much however they want, in practically every way. To some extent, they can even effect how much certain things cost. Flexibility is NEVER a bad thing. In BA, the point was to have various things available so that people could play with them. Play with them enough to know whether they like something or not.

The way it actually happened was "THIS IS THE NEW BA OMG ALL IS LOST ALL IS LOST!ONEELEVENTY1".

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”