The current meta and what all led to it

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

tzaeru

Post by tzaeru »

I last played very actively at around 2013-2014. I've had a few games in 2015 and specced some in 2016.

Now I'm back speccing again and - once my arm is healed up - playing some as well.

Over the years, at least from my vantage point, it has seemed that more and more games are taken to T2 and afus eco while heavy skirmishing in T1 feels comparatively more rare, even in small and medium games.

I'd be curious to hear other players' takes on it, especially players who have played actively over the past five years or so. What were the reasons that led to the gradual change of the meta? Have they been actual mechanical changes, or is it more that the expected counters and counter-counters to tactics have evolved to prefer less focus on T1 raiding? Or is it simply that payers are better on the average and that in team games, fast teching has always been fairly optimal? Or - is it actually suboptimal, but preferred for some other reason not listed here?
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Re: The current meta and what all led to it

Post by jamerlan »

I think that nerfing t1 energy->metal converters was a bad idea and it should be reverted back
they were helping t1 players a lot
Also a lot of t1 units were nerfed like Janus and Leveler.. Samsons are useless too.
tzaeru

Post by tzaeru »

jamerlan wrote:I think that nerfing t1 energy->metal converters was a bad idea and it should be reverted back
they were helping t1 players a lot
Also a lot of t1 units were nerfed like Janus and Leveler.. Samsons are useless too.
Remember what changes those were? I can of course search them up too from the changelogs if they are listed.

I believe you of course, but I'm just curious overall. I like to map these kind of things out to see the larger pattern over the years. :)
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

configs are here
https://github.com/Balanced-Annihilatio ... r_defs.lua
Previously it was like this: AC0 = 1/60
I think that they should match t2 converters.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”